UWOL #7 Fond Memories by David Gemmell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Wow. Our films are total polar oposites, just shows how one stimulus can inspire people in so many different directions. I love the pelican feeding shot.
Your film warmed me up considerably after all the cold snowy films we have seen from the northern hemisphere and made me want to go fly fishing again too.
I glad your adventure proved to be such a rewarding one (I never did think fishing was about catching fish)

Pete
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #17
Trustee

David, I liked it, I liked it a lot. The opening shots of you getting ready to go fishing, getting the gear, fixing the rod, all that moved so smoothly, then your shots around the lake of the birds, and you with the rod, all told such a nice quiet time. And, the music just fix. Thanks. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #18
Major Player

David
I really enjoyed your video - actually, I’ve really enjoy watching all your videos. (your ‘Australian Spirit’ was truly outstanding).

You have captured such a lovely atmosphere here. The colours in particular are beautiful.

Like so many here, I missed the inclusion of Susan in this video that set out to be your adventure down memory lane together.

?Perhaps a solution round her (absolutely understandable) reluctance to be in the video could have been overcome by including a brief glimpse of her silhouette, a distant view, or a back view of the two of you doing something side by side - or even by leaving in snippets of your conversation (or muted tones of) or some fun laughter (or muted tones of) - especially where you show your catch (a delightful scene!) and describe its size from the water. Perhaps superimposing some hazy scenes of the two of you over the water like you did so beautifully in the intro of ‘Australia Spirit’ could also have worked.

Not that it is significant here, but maybe for future reference, seems like time flew between the time you got changed and the time you finally got to do your fishing - I found that a bit of an anomaly. The light conditions seemed very different. Maybe a transitional clip between the two would have eased the dramatic change in light conditions.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #19
Trustee

Hey David

I really nice piece of work and it really too me back to my time shooting The Fisher king, fly fishing is certainly a good looking and artistic activity that can look great on camera. You certainly achieved that, some of your shots were beautiful especially some of the wides with the sun peaking of the horizon and of course that amazing sunset. I did feel the back of the 4x4 was a little long and some of the fishing footage seemed to vary in light in a non-chronological way. I liked your humour with the tiny Perch and this gave it a personal feel as well. Technically the VO was very drowned out by the music track and didn't sound like you really wanted to do it too much either....join the club ;-) !

Nice piece David, distinctly lacking in roo's though, but hey you've treated my twice before so I won't moan too much.......just get one in there next time will you :-) !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #20
Major Player

Man, David, what a sunset! And a helluva' catch too. That guy feed you BOTH for the night or was there a McDonalds on the way home?

Great job at igniting some fond memories of fishing with my Dad. See you on #8
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #21
Major Player

David,

I enjoy the pelican shot as everyone else seems to as well. ;) Great imagery! Also, the DOF with the shimmering water in the background lent itself to a very magical feel, wonderful! Loved the catch of the day, too. ;)

C
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:36 AM   #22
Major Player

A very nice easy going piece with some beautiful shots. I find the one thing missing is any shots of Sue, but I guess she had to run the camera :). Well done, both on the video and the fishing. Some where I have a picture of me with a fish about the size of yours! Thanks for the memories.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:38 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi David,
Another beautiful film from you. I loved the colours you captured at that very special time of the day. Your wife did very well behind the camera too! Please tell me you set it all up for her, or that she too is an accomplished camera operator, otherwise i will be feeling very inadequate! If i am ever up your way i will make sure i have the long wand with me!

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge