UWOL #7 "Glider" by Meryem Ersoz - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 25th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
i thought it would be more interesting to cut back and forth from interior/exterior shots, so the film would not be too monotonous, shot from one perspective. the exterior shots in the take-off segment are a different glider and different airplane.
If only the glider had been in there you would have gotten off scott free . I bet a good 75% of the general public wouldn't have even noticed the planes, all these darn editors around here and their eagle eyes!

I have continuity problems in mine too, like sliding door positions between cuts. Drove me crazy to let it go that way, but what can you do if you can't reshoot it.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #17
Major Player

Hello Meryem…

I don’t mind that it is a top winged/low winged airplane, that doesn’t matter to me. But I think that you could hade shown the disconnect scene earlier in the film so the viewer would get “the flying free feeling” quicker. Now I felt like we got pulled up in the sky and pulled, and pulled and then disconnected, but strait to landing. May be you could have put in some shoots from the ground with a glider in the sky, and same with the landing.

Nice film, I like aerial photos…

Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Hi Meryem

Arealy nice film,It´s get me thinking to fly may hanglider again
the filing and silence when gliding around,Is great.Werry fasinating.

Great-film

VJV:

Old February 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Meryem,

first, I really liked the music with it!!

I wanted more ariel shots, perhaps less with the tow plane.

The link to the gulls was a great idea, had you got them up in a soar it would have been perfect, this time of year there is not a lot of soaring weather for the birds though.

thanks for sharing!!
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Meryem,

This was an interesting film to watch. Nice to see how things look like from the pilot's viewpoint once in a while, and not only from the control tower at the airport where I work.
We have a couple of gliders operating from the airport as well.

Seems like you did a good job stabilizing the camera inside the cockpit of the glider.
As been mentioned, I also miss the moment where the towing cable is detached and the glider becomes "free".

Good choice of music.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #21
Trustee

Hi Meryem!

I thought there was some stunning footage of the plane leading the glider up in the air. The music certainly fit although I'm not the greatest fan of opera. As far as the interplay with birds and plane.... a great excuse to get up there again!

Thank you for this! We live in a beautiful neck of the woods do we not?

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #22
Major Player

Meryem,

I liked the way you intercut the planes and didn't have a problem with that. I could understand you couldn't film the planes taking off- unless you wanted a really wild and most likely bad adventure :) - so for me it was artistic license, and enhanced the feeling.

I also especially liked how you began with the sound of birds, moved to the ethereal music that truly fit the feeling of being in the clouds, and then heard the gull calling as we came back to earth and it took off to the sky. A nice bookend for the aerial footage- which was amazing for 15 minutes- surprisingly steady (and I am prone to video motion sickness- thanks for not showing too many wild shots)!

Ruth
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi Meryem.
What shaky scene? I couldn't see a thing as I was moving from side to side and up and down all the time. Just kidding you :) hope you don't mind?
As I first started to download movies the other day and my popcorn sequence ( that's when I'm looking at the films) started today, I understand this will be a great round of uwol. Many good films and different plots.
I like your story, maybe you could have short'n the first half a bit and given us some more scenes from the sky and landing? You live in a beautiful country and I would have liked to see some more of those Rocky Mountains.
I have once been in a helicopter and I know it's difficult to get it all right. You have to base it all on your one shot, no way back to do it again, eh?

Great adventure and thank you for sharing Meryem.

No I have to wait until evening to watch more great uwol films.
I have a meeting with the police, making a story for the news :)

All the best
Geir Inge
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #24
Trustee

Meryem, what a great adventure. I remember going up in a glider in ND and loved it. That feeling when they first drop the tow rope and you are free. Great footage from up there. The only comment I have is that I would have liked a little narration to sort of set the mood and explain what is going on. The HV10 give nice video. I am impressed. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #25
New Boot

Glider...

Hello Meryem!

I haven't read all the feed-back you've got, so some of this might have been covered by others.

I have always dreamt of flying one of those, must have been a great experience :o)

I would have liked to see more filming from the actual flight, and not so much "take-off/landing"-studies. And maybe it would have been cool to see some clipping between your flight scenes and the birds flight (even from the ground), making it kinda "from the birds eye".

But I liked it, and I loved the music :o)

Espen
Espen Skjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #26
Major Player

Meryem,

I really enjoyed it!

The thought of gliding that close to ground over civilization scares the bejeezus out of me. (I think I've seen one too many plane wrecks)

I really like the music selection, and I also don't think you needed the birds. The adventure for me was in the gliding itself. And the landing. :)

C
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:36 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Meryem,

Wow, what an adventure, and one you filmed very nicely! I thought the footage was very stable - given the small space in a glider. The audio was also nice - that constant hiss as the glider slices through the air. Ah the memories. The title text written with a cloud effect was also a nice touch.

Couple of suggestions;

the opening shot of the tug at 00:25 may have had a greater impact with a glider attached, ie the tug coming into the frame followed by a glider - maybe this sort of shot slowed down a bit?

I also would have included some shots of the glider cockpit, hooking up the glider, wing shots as you thermalled - with wing pointing to the ground in the turns, etc.

Some gliding birds mixed in with the glider scenes would also have worked well?

Loved the music selection - absolutely perfect. It really complimented the overall feel of your entry, which I enjoyed very much.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #28
Wrangler

i have some shots of the glider cockpit, of course, but since it is an older rental glider, they just looked rather worn and grubby--didn't really contribute to the overall effect!

i also have footage of the hook-up and tug, etc., but none of that coincided at the editing point--once i made the editorial selection to intercut between interiors and exteriors at take-off, then the pacing for the take-off was set by that selection...

same thing, as i said before, some of the best aerial footage didn't make it in, because with all the lapses in between acquiring clean footage and shaky footage, it would not have fit with the continuity of the subject or the feel.

oh, the tough editorial choices we have to make! so limiting, at times!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #29
Major Player

Meryem
I just love this movie! I have watched it over and over just out of sheer enjoyment. Wafting on air listening to Delibes.

As usual your style is just so easy. There is a sense of vast spaciousness and that glider is just so elegant. I enjoyed watching the scenery going by - especially enjoyed the Rocky Mountains.

Your title grabbed my attention from the start - very neat! The airplane taking off across the runway set the scene nicely for a lovely surprise - I have not seen a glider taking off before this, let alone been in one, so this was a special experience. I liked the editing cutovers from outside to inside the craft even if they were different aircraft. (What a special gift to receive - so glad we got to share it with you!)

P.S I would love to see those birds you visualized combined with this footage. I think you should still collect those video clips and do it - it will be outstanding. The birds you have inserted at the end don’t have quite the right feel where they are - you needed Kevin’s geese at the end gliding in so effortlessly.

P.P.S. I’m really glad I didn’t experience your bumpy landing on my flight! :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
The birds you have inserted at the end don’t have quite the right feel where they are - you needed Kevin’s geese at the end gliding in so effortlessly.

)
...that's pretty funny you say that, because i told kevin the exact same thing...

i had a little trouble with the whole bird thing, outlined in "wonder and woe"--mostly woe, because i couldn't find any birds, anywhere, in 3 days of going out and looking in all the usual spots...these showed up right as i was leaving my shooting location and had to be somewhere, so i grabbed what i could...

the wildlife doesn't always share the "your vision" part of "our world, your vision"....

thanks for the feedback...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge