UWOL 8 "Rejuvenations" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 25th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #16
Major Player

Dale, really nice birds shots from 1:45, good exposure and sound. It is always welcome with some close ups…
Nice job.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Dale,
Great bright closeups on Canada Geese and Mallards. wasn't quite so sure about the focus drop on .50 - just seemed to hang around a little too long for me. Also try playing around with cutting away from long zooms before it reaches an abrupt halt, sometimes this can preserve the visual continuity a little better. Careful on 1.45, during the transition another frame has crept in, these are a real pain ;-) Now I have nit-picked.... I loved the grouse footage - beautiful in the early spring light, with an amazing soft backdrop of rolling hills - action and sound captured really well to round the film up nicely. You must be proud with that stuff ;-)
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #18
Trustee

Hi Dale.

I liked the winter/spring transformation and with it the extra life in your water fowl...nice change in pace and action. I think you dwelled on some shots for too long and could do with some more snappy cutting. I loved the the tones/colour in the grouse? shots...very nice. You were oversize on this challenge Dale....naughty!!

Nice piece
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #19
Major Player

The winter/spring transformation is so obvious in this video,so bonus points for that.The bird life you capture is always spectacular...Good video as always Dale.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM   #20
Trustee

Hi Dale.

As always you deliver a great film, even if your format/size is a bit larger then permitted :)
You have some great shots of those birds fighting at the end.
Very similar to our Black Grouse, when they fight just around this time of year.

All the best to you Dale.
Geir Inge
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi Dale - apologies for taking so long to do my feedback comment

A very nice video you have put together here. I think this is your best to date especially in terms of picture quality and content.

You asked if you should have done a VO. I thought the images told the story of rejuvenation very nicely without a VO but then lots of people did have questions at the end of it so maybe a VO could have helped in that respect. Having said that however, I don’t think you needed to know the names of the birds etc to enjoy this. (Okay - that probably doesn’t answer your question after all does it?!)

I am always fascinated to see landscapes with ice and snow because it is not something we see much of round here. 1.6 trillion pounds of ice to thaw? How big is the lake then?! How thick is that ice!?

Your two geese dozing on the ice are lovely - mallard too (- you picked up the sheen on its feathers beautifully - not always easy).
What a delightful contrast to see the goose taking a bath so energetically after its previous inactivity- shows rejuvenation really well. Your music worked well here too to accentuate the change of pace from gentle activity to more lively.

(I am just wondering if it wouldn’t have been more chronological to have placed the clip of thawing ice between these two shots rather than afterwards. The jump from the geese on thick ice to the goose in the water was quite sudden whereas this view of the ice thawing could have linked the two nicely.)

Those images of the grouse are stunning - the subtle earth colours, textures and incredible sense of space behind them created by your angle of view!

(What IS the plural of grouse? groce? grice? greece? mm grouses maybe? :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
(What IS the plural of grouse? groce? grice? greece? mm grouses maybe? :)
I thought the plural of grouse was grouse, a bit like sheep and sheep. :)

Though I do like "greeces" for some reason...
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #23
Major Player

Yes the English language is indeed funny. Grouse and grouse, sheep and sheep - but what about mongoose ?! - not mongeese, mongai or mongoose but mongooses! :)

(Sorry Dale for hi-jacking your thread with this bit of nonsense.)
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Good Morning,

Yes, grouse are grouse. But for mongoose I really like mongai!!! When in Se Asia I actually got to see, one: very cool kinda like a Mink.

Marge, thanks for the review. I actually agree with you thought about natures ice sculpture. My wife felt the same. I placed it there a couple times but it did not really work with the chronology. herre is why (perhaps a voice over here would have helped here!) when things are locked in the deep freeze there is no ice majic. Once there is partial thawing during the day things refreeze everey night, the pressure expansion of the ice creates the ice sculptures. you do not get that till after thaw. So, once the partial thaw of the water was shown, mallard preening on the ice spit, then there would bee freeze up and be followed by the sculptures the next day. After much deliberation I left it in chronologically.

The lake is about 225 square miles of water and ice freezes between 3 and 5 feet thick, at 60 pounds per cubic foot of water (at least that is what my sailing text tells me).

Meryem was right, I really enjoyed filming this one!!! I knew my theme immediately, the shot list came easy.
Getting the shots required some serious hunting, stalking and shooting, a lot of time and serious patience, something I am not overly blessed with!!!

I got a lot of nice footage I can use on future projects. I am building a loopable dvd of local wildlife for a Camera store to play on their big screen in the shop, I will use several shots from this shoot in it for certain.

Geir, black grouse are a bit bigger than our sharp tailed grouse. If I recall they are more like our sage grouse in size. Did you ever see that video of the golden eagle killing two black grouse?? Awesome footage.

Hope I answered any questions.

Only three weeks until uwol 9

Have a couple cool ideas if they can be stretched into whatever theme meryem drreams up!!

enjoy the day!!
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #25
Major Player

Okay, now I know a whole bunch more about ice than I did before! You're right - maybe a VO would have been very interesting considering that bit of info.
Back to the grouse bit . . . grouse and grouse, mouse and mice, house and houses . . . don't you feel for our foreign entrants?!
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Marge,

Yes, having my first degree in english literature made me aware of that years ago, What a bizarre language! It all started in Babaylon, whos falt was that??

Was of thinking of naming our new sail boat ( yes I got it instead of an xlh1) "By Grace". But foriegn friends might think I mean you can "Buy Grace"!!!!

Oh, the digressions!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge