UWOL #8: The Pull Of The Moon by Mat Thompson - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 26th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Trustee

Mat,

Super film. The timelapse sequences were spot on - and they fitted well with the theme rather than just having timelapse for timelapse's sake.

Some great bird shots there too, though I'd like to know whatsome of them are without having to get a book - my junior RSPB membership expired many many years ago and I've forgotten a lot of the more unusual breeds.

You did well to get that shot at 1:53 through the reeds - I think it's an Avocet - and it looked right at the limits of the zoom but it worked out!

I feel your voiceover pain! I thought it worked well - after all, I don't any of us are professional voiceover artists - and to me implies this is being made by someone with genuine interest in the topic rather than a paid professional.
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #17
Trustee

Hey guys. Many thanks for your comments. I was pleased with the way the timelapses came out and they were really what the film was going to shape itself around. I have to say they aren't the most interesting things in the world to do but the results are suprising and interesting when you get the footage into the NLE!

Birds...ok then in order of appearence were....

Group of Black tailed godwit
Oyster Catcher (In flight and on ground)
Black tailed godwit
Black headed gull
Teal
Redshank
and finally the Avocet

:-)

I really like wading birds and I still plan on laying down some really good footage when I can get the right hide at a good distance!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #18
Major Player

As always quality work from you Mat.Technically I think you are improving with every round.I strive to get close to the quality video's that you produce.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
It changes by about 1m+ an hour on a spring tide so those timelapses were taking 1.30-2hrs each.
Only 2 hours? How disappointing, I thought you were so patient to do the timelapse for a tide during half a day. ;)
Really was all very well done, good movie.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 01:41 PM   #20
Major Player

Well if I could pull off a movie like this in such a short period of time as you have done here I would be amazed. If nothing else it proves that having an awareness of things going on around one and a general knowledge of these things can really come in handy at times like this when time is tight. I would never have thought to do what you did here in such a short space of time.

You have an interesting story to tell as usual. I am absolutely amazed at the figures you quoted - certainly adds up to a lot of worms! (156 billion in 13,000 hectares - if my arithmetic is right - hmmm - more than you would need to catch a fish I think.)

Pretty intriguing to watch the tide disappearing and re-appearing like that in such a short space of time - another amazing example of transformation that occurs almost imperceptibly around us on a daily basis. Time-lapse is a wonderful tool for demonstrating things like this.

I feel for you people living in that dull, dreary weather though, where images are almost always soft and grey and flat. We have had more than our usual share of rain this summer and I found it quite frustrating - so I do sympathize.

Well done Mat, on a very interesting video.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge