UWOL #8 - Growing Finding Youth at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

UWOL #8 - Growing Finding Youth

Hello,
I have learned that people are having trouble downloading my video... I'm in the process of doing some troubleshooting on it now. This is my first time submitting, so, I am working the bugs out! Thanks for being patient. I'll give some details about the video as soon as I've reposted (and tested!) the video.

It's been such fun watching everyone else's videos!

Amelia
Amelia Tanttila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Trustee

Ha Ha!

worked it out - it's an mpeg file not Mov or whatever.

if you click on the clip you will get a not found message, simply change to suffix to mpeg and you're away
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Trustee

I get tired just watching that! - it's a great piece on the subject, I liked the intro and meeting Brian, although I expected the audio to match his talking until I realised it was just VO.

I liked the footage of him running while we listen to his reasons - particularly the shot where he almost runs out of frame then crosses over.
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Wrangler

You're giving me triathlon flashbacks, looks like some of this was shot at the Rez?

Your shooting is quite good, nice composition and some interesting angles and perspectives. I agree with Paul, that when his mouth is moving and the VO are happening at the same time, it takes me out of the narrative when I am thinking about whether these should be synched or not...

Interesting story and use of the theme. I always enjoy listening to athletes.

The audio does sound a little bit canned, and your VO (at least, I think it is you, the female voice...), is a little bit poppy. What kind of mics are you using? Do you have a pop filter?

Oh, and by the way...welcome to UWOL, Amelia. The girls are growing in numbers, and the Colorado girls are well represented here! Hope you had fun playing.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Amelia,

Welcome to the UWOL family!
I really enjoyed watching this one. And it was an interesting story.
Hope you can sort out the audio problems.

Well done! I'm looking forward to watch your future videos.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

UWOL #8 - Growing Finding Youth

Hi - thanks for your responses! This is so fun! Thanks for the welcome, Trond, I'm looking forward to participating in the future and hopefully improving my videomaking abilities!

I definitely agree with you both, Paul and Meryem, that the weak link is the audio. I initially did the interview while Brian was getting ready for the run, but, the wind really picked up and pretty much destroyed the sound quality. So, I ended up doing an off-line interview (in my car, which didn't make for usable video) which I dubbed over the other footage. I guess, ideally, I should have reshot the interview in a setting in which I could have used the video, or, perhaps if I'd used a lav mic (rather than the on-board shotgun) in the intial interview, the wind may not have affected the sound quality as much.

Meryem, it was my voice I used for the female VO - I actually think it's distracting having two voices, and will recut to only use Brian's voice. I didn't take the time to do enough takes to get comfortable with speaking into the mic; and so I sound too too stiff.

You're right about the location -- we shot at the canal at the reservoir, but most of the shooting was at Boulder Valley Ranch (on Eagle and Sage trails).

Thanks for your time and thoughts. It really helps!
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Amelia,

Interesting film - and I'm yet another person who gets tired just looking at this. I've got a lot fitter in recent years, but still can't run.

Some great scenery to run through there - maybe that would inspire me more than grey, soggy skies and busy roads.

I echo what others have said about the commentary sounding a bit off. Perhaps you should get a good closet!
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Trustee

Hi Amelia,
Welcome to the UWOL family. I really enjoyed your film, it was an interesting subject & very interesting to hear about the transformation that has happened with your friend through his running. I loved the different angles you had in a lot of your shots, & the little bits of timelapse, along with the cross fades showing the runner at different points along the road.
Since others have commented on the voice over issues, i won't add anything to that, but on another technical point, a few of your shots looked like they were overexposed, at least on my monitor. It looks like where you filmed this would be one of those places where it is almost always very bright, & correct exposure is something that you may find hard to control. You may need to look at a neutral density filter or 2 to sort out the exposure problems. I also see you had some difficulty in the wind with some of the shots being a bit shakey. I too had this problem with one of my tripods. I ended up going out & buying a new one, but before that i was experimenting with the use of a small sandbag hanging from under the fluid head. This worked reasonably well, maybe if it is windy again where you are shooting, you could give that a go to smooth out those shots.
Overall a nice piece, & hopefully the first of many more from you.

Bryce
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #9
Major Player

In my personal opinion (and I am in no way a big shooter in here,so take this anyway you like.) I think you have got more than just the basics right here.A few minor technical issues to sort out and you will be a contender.Be that as it may I am sure that you will have so much fun here as all us other crazy people do.
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Trustee

Welcome to UWOL Amelia!

And an entry from Boulder, COLORADO.... well, we are in the same neighborhood! I'm glad I came to this one a bit later, cause I didn't have any problems downloading your film. Well done! Very interesting take on the theme. The composition of your clip was creatively articulated. Nice to have you on board.

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike for your comment on getting a good closet! It actually hadn't occurred to me to actually get as sophisticated as setting up a sort of sound studio at home; and actually my closed may be a great place to start. At the very least, it'd sure be worth doing some research on it because maybe it wouldn't take much to make a difference.

Also, about the sound issue - Meryem had noticed some popping and had asked about the mic I was using - I used a Shure SM58, which is pretty high quality. So, I think the popping could have been due to the fact that I held the too close. Also, I recorded my VO directly only my computer through Premiere Pro. So, perhaps the popping could be a result of this feature of PP not being very well developed? (Actually, it's probably more likely user error)! However, recording my VO directly into PP most likely explains the difference in sound quality between my VO and Brian's VO (which was recorded onto take with the on-camear shotgun mic). So, lesson learned: consistency in VO recording tools w/in a video is key!

Bryce, I really appreciate your suggestion on the sandbag. I have a pretty meaty tripod, but even that can get somewhat top heavy as I shoot with a XL2. Also, it's pretty common to have high winds in this area; so, it would be good to have a plan of "defense" against the wind!

John Dennis, thanks for your comment! Coming from one who puts together such quality videos, I defintely value your opinion!

Cat, it's nice hearing from another living in this area and I appreciate your comments! It's also been fun watching your videos and seeing familiar territory.
Old April 29th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Also, Bryce, I forgot to address your feedback on exposure... you're definitely right that parts were overexposed; and that was even after reducing some of the brightness and adding contrast in post.

I used an ND filter while shooting, but thought I'd be clever and use manual settings for the Iris and shutter speed. But, obviously, I didn't set these correctly. In the future, I should probably just use automatic settings, or be more attentive to the manual settings. I also haven't been shooting with the zebra stripes - and that may be something I should go back to.

So, thanks for your thoughts on this - hopefully they'll make me more conscientious!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:42 AM   #13
Trustee

Hi Amelia.

Great first entry.
I am not a runner myself, but I have been hiking the mountains for years. As a heavy smoker for over 30 years (started very young), I quit smoking 10 weeks ago and already feeling a lot better.
At the same time me and my wife started out on our 10 km walk every evening. I can already feel the change inside and I'm sure your running man do experience a transformation while running.
Nice editing and mix between shots.

I already longing for uwol9 to watch your next uwol film :)

All the best.
Geir Inge
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Hi Geir - thanks for your post and congratulations on quitting smoking! I know that's not easy. You may be inspired to know that my running friend, Brian, was a smoker when he started running. I think the running made quitting smoking much easier. 10K per day is a very impressive workout regime. I can imagine that it would make you feel much better. Maybe the next time we have a transformation theme, I can interview you and your wife :)

I also really enjoyed your film but work has been hectic lately and I am behind on posting feedback - I hope to get caught up by the end of the week.

Take good care,

Amelia
Old May 7th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #15
Trustee

Hi again Amelia,
I too had problems with exposure in my film. I was under exposed on a couple of shots, & that was in auto, so i would suggest you go for the zebra stripes option. I played around on the weekend with setting up manually for the type of shots i had under exposed in my film, & it turned out much better. At the time i just thought the auto option would be the best option.

Regards,

Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge