Prairie Predator - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 29th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Oops!

Sorry Dale, my last line was obviously meant to read "you didn't disappoint us".
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #17
Trustee

Hi Dale.

What a great opening shot. Some great wilderness you have way up there in Alberta.
The bird is beautiful and your film is both informative and educating. I love that.
That drawing of the owls eye was too little to get much out of in this little format.
Nice music to your VO, but maybe you could use some sounds from the field or from the bird?
Another great film from you, Dale.

Wish you all the best.
Geir Inge
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Geir,

Yes the view of owl vision did not come through as nice as i would have liked, to short of time to build one from scratch.

When i was filming the wind made the natural sound unbearable. I actually was going to try and get some audio to add in, however the days I had available were gales, hence no decent nature audio.

the only owl noise I have heard burrowing owls give is that they rattle like a rattle snake if you reach into their nest hole.

Oh yea, most holes you cant even see the eggs.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Dale
Apologies for not getting here sooner.

This is most definitely your best video to date - I said the same thing last time but it is another huge improvement even on the last.

The scenery in the intro was breathtaking and put the story into context for me. What an amazing place you live in.

Your description was well thought out, resulting in a most interesting and informative video. I enjoyed this video especially because we do not have Burrowing Owls here in South Africa or anything like it and I could learn about something really different. Your images were clear especially the close-ups of the head.

One small thing that I found a little distracting was the different sizes of frames - stills were a different from video - your video frame seemed a lot wider than 16:9 and had a black frame all round - not sure why you had to do that. (Although I read now in your thread that you were using new software so I guess that had something to do with it.) The images seemed stretched as a result.

I downloaded your video twice to see if the sound would improve but both times it was low in volume and tinny as others have mentioned.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Well I loved how informative this entry was. The part about 2 fields of vision was news to me, glad yo left it in even if the diagram was tough to get the meaning of.

Nice film dale, see you next time.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #21
Major Player

I liked the film and learned a lot. You had some amazing footage of fascinating birds. I thought the diagram was small, but it did have some useful information so I'm glad you left it in. I felt the way you interspersed stills with video worked well, at least for me- the still images illustrated important points, and melded with the film. Thanks for sharing your amazing corner of the world.

Ruth
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Hi Dale,

This must be (one of) your best videos so far.
You always come up with something interesting, and I enjoyed very much watching your video. Good story! And the awesome scenery in the beginning.

Thank you for sharing!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge