UWOL #9 "The Heath" by Mat Thompson - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #16
Trustee

Hi Mat:

I just finished watching your film again (I like going back through the one's that strike me most) and I will show it to my husband after we get all these animals to bed. You see, I watch all of the films and comment (of course!) but I select perhaps the top 3 or 4 (which is getting harder to do these days!) and show them to my husband. Yours is my second pick, only behind Per. I am so personally proud of you on this one. You should have 500 hits on this clip by now, and if not... it's everyone's loss. I thought I could never let go of "The Fisher King", but I guess now, I formally have. This is a stunning film and up in the realm of "Per territory". This IS your best, and it is perfect in just about every aspect... narration content, filming, beauty. I can't say anymore so I'll quite while I'm ahead.

Cato
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Trustee

Mat,

Nice film, fella! (And I thought just people on those police reality shows called each other "fella"!)

This was another video with fantastic colours. You set the scene well, the shots are all of a perfect length and it all flows nicely to the point where you reveal the snakes. And my goodness, you've got some great close-ups there! Your tracking shots were also just about flawless, making me very jealous. The end shot with the mega focus pull was very stylish. Your voiceover and the storyline were just spot on.

The only slight flaw I noticed was the green rabbits at around 00:35. Is there something I don't know about the bunnies of Essex?

Absolutely fan-dabi-dosi.
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #18
Major Player

Fantastic Adder shots Mat. I can only imagine the patients it took to capture those footages. Excellent VO too.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

What can I say, remarkable work Mat. The story kept me riveted, your cinematography was stellar and the VO was almost flawless. You have really outdone yourself with this one. This piece had that "professional" look to it.

Way to go!
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #20
Major Player

Hi Mat
this is your usual high quality video...I would have been pretty worried getting that close to the snakes.Even though all your productions are good,I rate this as one of your best
John Dennis Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #21
Trustee

Cat - Many thanks, I'm not sure whether I'm happy or sad I've put to bed the Fisher King for you ;-)!

Ron- If you want to see Adders I can almost guarantee it at the moment when the weathers right....I have only not seen them once in the last 6 visits. If you fancy it drop me an email.

Mike.....fella!, what can I say maybe I hankering for another vocation!

Thanks again to everyone for their great comments, I know I always ask for critique, but lots of positive comments are nice too of course :-)

This really has got me very intrigued about snakes in general and particularly the Adder. I have been back a seen this female a couple of times since shooting as I know where she regularly basks. Two days ago I also saw what I'm pretty sure was a 'Black Adder', either that or it was very ready to shed its skin. Unfortunately it moved off quite quickly. The Black adder is the same species but a very rare deviation and would be amazing to take footage of.....needless to say, I will be going back a few more times over the next few weeks.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:00 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Mat,

Congratulations on the film and of course winning. Having been watching adders here in the New Forest for a number of years it was a joy to watch. It was very well edited with a good story line. You were very lucky to have filmed this behaviour in June as down here the mating season was well over by the middle of May.

Look forward to seeing your next entry

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM   #23
Trustee

Many thanks Mick, coming from someone of your experience that means a lot. Yeah it was only after doing a lot of reading about the Adder I became aware that it was a lucky moment. From what I've read its an unusual thing to get to see full stop. Have you managed to film much on them?

As I said earlier in this post the last time I went to this Heath I'm pretty sure I actually saw a Black adder. Didn't manage any footage but I'm going to head back this week and I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open! There is pretty much always a female basking but I havent seen the males again since.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi Mat,

I have very little adder footage, mainly because when we come acroos them we are doing other things. As you are probably aware they are quite common in the forest, more so than than grass snakes. Our local vet gets many dogs in each year with adder bites, fortunately I believe non fatal in recent years.

I have seen the occasional black, but they do vary greatly in colour from vivid grey and black to brown/red and of course black.

If you want to know more, google Sylvia Sheldon, you will find lots of articles about her and from her on the study of adders.

On another subject I see on another forum you are selling your JVC whats the story behind this and what are you replacing it with, are you going back to canon?

Regards

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:53 AM   #25
Trustee

I really like the JVC in many ways and I do think the pictures it produces are 'richer' and have a more filmlike quality than the canon. I also like the build, layout and functions more than canon. However the standard lens is a big drawback for wildlife. The canon x20 is such a good stock workhorse and good pretty much end to end. I also think the canon produces more detailed images (more pixels/better processing I guess) which is more important for wildlife than most other types of film making.

If I was shooting a regular narrative piece with actors I'd go for the JVC though!
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #26
Major Player

I finally am having a chance to watch the films in NY- the first stop in my move cross country. Since this film won, figured I'd start with the best :)

Very impressive, I liked the seamless transition between scenes, and the VO was professional and added a lot. My only minor quibble (since you emphasize the value of constructive criticism) is the music didn't particularly match the mood for me. Or at the least, you could have used a few different pieces to meld with the very different emotional content of the scenes. But other than that, I really can find no faults with the film- great job, and a worthy winner.

Ruth
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #27
Wrangler

I just realized I missed commenting on this one! Perhaps it happened because I really, really have a tough time enjoying snakes--in any setting. :0

This is near-perfection in filmmaking, and it very much deserved the top prize. Even if it did include a bunch of writhing...oh never mind... :)

Congratulations, Mat, on a well-deserved win!
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Hi Mat,

I can see why this video won this round. Congratulations!
Stunning footage, a great story, perfect music match.

Well done!!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge