UWOL 9, California Sea Lions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 25th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Eric,
Really, really enjoyed this one. And it was informative, which I always appreciate.
Here in the midwest we don't see Sea Lions very often. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
Eric,
You may be dissatisfied with what your stuff looks like when compressed for the Web, but let me tell you, I have been playing all the videos on the Quicktime player at double screen size, and yours is the only one that doesn't pixellate. And it's only 43 MB. You must be doing something right.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
I can't take credit Steve. It was all Kevin. Somehow even while paddling his front porch down main street he found the time to help me.
And what is the secret he gave you? ;)
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Major Player

Thank you Bob. Chances are what worked for me might not work so well for you. I expect there are a lot of different variables to consider. If I were you I'd ping Kevin because my knowledge on this subject extends about as far as the garden hose in my front yard. And that doesn't even reach the curb!

Kevin is only about the nicest guy I have ever, not even met yet.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #18
Trustee

Hi Eric:

Wow, excellent footage and captivating. I saw the second version so I didn't find any of the initial problems. It was enjoyable and interesting to listen to. Incredible close up and clear footage. That was way cool. Nice to hear we are not in first place at over populating the planet. I also had a chuckle at the end when you were mentioning their agility, in the water no?, and the footage was of one lumbering heavily on land. Just a little comic relief for me. Beautiful entry.

Cat

Last edited by Catherine Russell; June 25th, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #19
Major Player

Glad you got that Cat. Also the part about having such keen senses in their whiskers - while the one lion is basically snoring himself to death while blowing bubbles he's so lazy? Honestly I was considering making it a comedy, but I figured I'd better learn to stand before I try to run..
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Hi Eric,

Well what can I say!

I really enjoyed watching and learning about the California Sea Lions. I also enjoyed studying the way you put the whole piece together, with wonderful camera technique, composition, story and audio. In fact, your use of audio to match the antics of the sea lions was just perfect.

The establishing shots, the variety of sea lion footage, combined with the human association with these animals was very clever.

Excellent Eric - it has to be a contender.
David Gemmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
I also had a chuckle at the end when you were mentioning their agility, in the water no?, and the footage was of one lumbering heavily on land. Just a little comic relief for me.
Quote:
Glad you got that Cat. Also the part about having such keen senses in their whiskers - while the one lion is basically snoring himself to death while blowing bubbles he's so lazy?
There were several spots where it seemed like you were speaking tongue-in-cheek. I’m not so sure I thought that roar sounded particularly sophisticated, either... :)

As everyone else has said, this is a near-flawless piece, Eric. You and Brian should be very proud of your work.
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Eric and Brian

Some very nice footage here.

Good close ups and well put together.

If you had been able to get some underwater shots then this piece would have been out of this world (as it is its one of the best I've seen).

Congratulations on a great piece

Peter
Peter Damerell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #23
Major Player

Thank you Lorinda. If I had more courage (confidence) I would have gone with my idea to actually make this piece a comedy. After all these beasts on land just beg for laughter. Especially the cubs using their "Rear facing hind flippers, which allow them to move 'functionally' over land." Those poor guys almost killed themselves falling off the rocks like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Damerell View Post
Hi Eric and Brian,
If you had been able to get some underwater shots then this piece would have been out of this world.
Peter

Peter it would be a dream come true for me to not only BE underwater again, but also to be filming underwater. Although I have to admit I am deathly afraid of sharks (but apparently have no problem with being repeatedly thrown to the ground from superbikes racing in excess of 175mph - I know, makes no sense at all..). I grew up in the water on the east coast of the US (where the water is relatively warm), but now that I live out here? Well, let's just say the water is SLIGHTLY colder! This proposition IS highly attractive to me though. On my final day of filming the Sea Lions I talked with a diver who had just come out of the water, from just underneath one of the Lion groups. I couldn't stop myself from asking him what it was like. How they reacted to him. He just smiled and said, "They are very curious, and quite playful with your flippers. In fact sometimes they drag me backwards through the water. Really, they're just like playful dogs.."

Of course then he mentioned to be watchful of the alpha males!

I might have to go visit Markus Nord and get some diving lessons!
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Peter it would be a dream come true for me to not only BE underwater again, but also to be filming underwater. Although I have to admit I am deathly afraid of sharks (but apparently have no problem with being repeatedly thrown to the ground from superbikes racing in excess of 175mph - I know, makes no sense at all..). I grew up in the water on the east coast of the US (where the water is relatively warm), but now that I live out here? Well, let's just say the water is SLIGHTLY colder! This proposition IS highly attractive to me though. On my final day of filming the Sea Lions I talked with a diver who had just come out of the water, from just underneath one of the Lion groups. I couldn't stop myself from asking him what it was like. How they reacted to him. He just smiled and said, "They are very curious, and quite playful with your flippers. In fact sometimes they drag me backwards through the water. Really, they're just like playful dogs.."

Of course then he mentioned to be watchful of the alpha males!

I might have to go visit Markus Nord and get some diving lessons!

I did some diving and filming of Australian Sea lions last year and that was one of the coolest dives ever. First it two small one jumped in the water but they was a bit afraid of me, then I got a big fella to jump in with me and he hade no problem with interact with me... so cool!

Every time I sit down and download all the videos for a new challenge I say to my self, “That would be so cool if we all would work together, to produce a ‘planet earth’ ” We are some many talented filmmaker in this growing community that it shouldn’t be extremely hard or?

Eric you are always welcome and I will show you everything I know…
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #25
Major Player

Fantastic range of well framed, bright shots, great subjects spot on editing, a great VO and a wonderful story with a great point to it. Quality stuff !!!
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #26
Major Player

Well done Eric and Brian - a beautiful video all round - well-constructed, interesting story, V.O. and beautiful footage of the subject.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #27
Major Player

Thank you very much UWOLers, for taking the time to watch. I really put my heart into my UWOL#7 entry, which opened a huge door for learning. It also taught me there needs to be a lot more background work to tell a better story than I had (because I basically hadn't!). When I tried to put those lessons to work in UWOL#8 I failed miserably. This is why I got eaten by the sharks. Now for UWOL#9, thanks to Brian's help and the feedback from you all here, another huge door for learning has been opened. I am so glad I got the film in - even if it isn't the version we have now.

It was a great idea to enter these challenges. Thanks for the welcome.
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #28
Trustee

Eric,

What can I say? Beautifully shot, edited and narrated. The music fitted really well too.

Another theme of nature succeeding despite mankind, and it worked really well. The video flowed well from start to finish, and told a great story. The intro shots led us nicely into the story of the sealion, and some of the faster edits flowed really well.

Favorite shot? Has to be 01:15 - I'm forever blowing bubbles!

Well done to both you and Brian, that was really enjoyable.
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #29
Major Player

Eric,

I just got done watching your film and I have to say (great shots aside and I agree with everyone's comments) your voice-over is superb (something I need to work on). Your voice is very calm and clear. You tell a great story. It was interesting and also very pleasing to look at.

Oliver
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Thanks for all the compliments guys (and girls). Eric did all the heavy lifting on this one. His passion for the subject clearly bleeds through to the images he captured. I don't think that's something you can teach. Anyone can point a camera at something and hit "record", but taking it to the next level is something else.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge