UWOL #9-The Osprey-Martin Vavra - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 30th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Well, the compression education is going to continue in "crash" mode. UWOL inspired me enough that I have decided to start an online video series the is called "Our Natural World." I am going to run it through VIMEO and my website, and am going to do a weekly 5 minute video about,well, our natural world. I am retooling and starting with the osprey video, and I just finished the VO for the second episode, and the third one is filmed. I am going to bust my but to do this every week over the summer! Who knows, maybe even beyond!
Old June 30th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #32
Trustee

Hi Martin.

I had to search for your video a bit. Named "seahawk" as file and "The Osprey" in the feedbacktread. Some nice clips you've got there. Maybe not so lucky with the compression but still some very uniqe clips from the diving hawk :)
In your next film, take your time to make title and ending text for the film :) Your VO is informative and you are a storyteller. I like the guitarpicking tune, but maybe you could lower the sound a bit as it would be easier to hear your VO. Also would have liked some background sound from the field. Wish you all the best and good luck.

Geir Inge
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advise. The lack of credits was intentional and a personal preference. I wanted the feel of this being a segment to something bigger and not just a stand alone 3 minutes. As it turns out, that is now going to be the case, and in my retooling of this I will have an intro and credits. The music will also be brought down. The lack of background sound is due to the fact that the wind was about 40 mph that day and it was blowing my mikes out. I don't have a good enough wind screen yet to cut down that sort of wind.
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:30 PM   #34
Trustee

Hello, Martin. I, too, enjoyed this short glimpse into a day in the life of a hungry osprey.

The shots showing the bird hovering were awesome, very graceful. The de-interlaced vimeo version showed much improvement over the UWOL version.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:04 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Yeah, I am not happy about the fact that the compression was the one major hang up. It really bugs me to think that it could have been that one thing that would make the difference in my standings. I think I may try to to see if I can put together a compression tutorial for newbies. I had major issue with that whole thing and I would love to see someone else not have to go through all of that.

Thanks so much for the great words Bruce.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Our Natural World

Well, UWOL has inspired me to reach for something bigger. So here is to something bigger for me.

I have just launched "Our Natural World", a weekly UWOL style series based on the whatever part of the natural world I can get myself into. I retooled my Osprey video (making another screw up in it along the way-figures) and launched it as episode 1 and just got episode 2 posted up. Both can be seen on my website, www.galaxysailor.com, or on my VIMEO page which is Galaxy Sailor. I have episode three filmed and will have it up by next monday with any hopes, and have started to film episode 4. Here is to a new one every week!

http://galaxysailor.com/video-sample...natural-world/
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Hi Martin,

That was a very cool and interesting video you made!
The compression problems has been commented already, but I am sure you will get a much better quality once you get the Squeeze.
It's very easy to learn and use.

I look forward to see more of your videos. Stay with us for the future challenges!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Yep, I ate it on the compression, but that is now alleviated. Sorenson Squeeze is now my friend. It does make a difference, as I have replace most of my videos on my website after deinterlacing them and then running them through the Squeeze. You can check out my videos for my new series Our Natural World here and here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge