UWOL X, Water at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL X, Water

OK so you've entered a film competition but you have no camera. You've got a buddy who you team up with sometimes, who has a camera, but he's in the Philippines for two months. You were supposed to go to the Philippines too, but you.... have to save money for your new camera. So you sit, and you read about how everyone else in the contest is doing. All the while you're thinking, "maybe something will click somehow." But nothing ever does.

Then a week ago your buddy comes back, and he's got footage. Tragically good footage actually. He's got a good story too. A tragically good story. And so the collaboration of editing and calling and emails begins - but in the end there's just not enough time to pull it all off. By month's end you have no sponsor, you have no more time, you're a day too late and about twenty three thousand dollars too short. But in the interest of sharing, here it is anyway. Brian Luce filmed it, I edited it.

I'd give you a background on this story right off the bat but to be honest, if I have to do that this video is not very good. I hope you enjoy this non entry - half of a shark tank attempt at rising to the UWOL X occasion, but failing.

WATER

Thanks for watching, and congrats to all of those who succeeded!

Brian & Eric
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM   #2
Trustee

Eric. Wow!!
That was fantastic! Sorry to hear you just missed getting this entry in. I haven't seen any of the others yet, but am sure this would have been up there with any of them. Coming from Australia, & having just moved to British Columbia Canada, i can't believe the waste of this precious resource i see every day here. One of the stragest things i see every day is the use of garden sprinklers, something i haven't seen since i was a kid in Australia. Unfortunately, most of the time the sprinklers i see are watering the road. Your film really puts this precious resource into perspective, & would have to make even the most water "unconcous" person stop & think.
Cogratulations on a great piece!

Regards,

Bryce
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Bryce. Depression has kept me from viewing all of the other films.. I'm really sorry this one didn't come together in time. Brian really did a great job writing and shooting (and crying to Meryem) in this piece. All I did was edit.

Oh yeah - and learn.

On the topic of water, this was never really a well taught issue back east where I grew up. Sprinklers, hoses, slip N slides - you name it we aimed a hose at it. Maybe it was all the rain we got year in and year out that did it to us. But now that I live out here in California, land of the miles and miles of fire blazed straw grass, suddenly I'm counting the seconds it takes to brush my teeth! And that's not even touching on the pollution side of things...
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:20 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
Brian really did a great job writing and shooting (and crying to Meryem) in this piece.
Ahem...I was *whining* to Meryem, not "Crying". There's a difference okay? I wish you'd stop trying to make me look bad. You always do that.

Last edited by Brian Luce; September 2nd, 2008 at 07:16 AM.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Wrangler

I don't know, Brian, it sounded oddly like crying to me. I can usually tell a fine whine. *snicker*

Whining, moaning, complaining, blaming etc., I think that I tasted them all this round...although I prefer them all to dead silence...

Anyway -- to the film! That was AMAZING!

I have a friend who is a water lawyer of some repute, and we have been talking about doing something on water. While we have been talking, you two have been doing it. This feels like the beginning of a larger piece. You two should see this thing through. It succeeds on its own, as a stand-alone piece. But it's so the-tip-of-the-iceberg, so to speak...The footage is fantastic, it's always interesting to see something ugly made beautiful but that still manages to convey the ugliness, all at the same time. That is what amazing environmental activist video does...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Beautiful opening image, and a very sobering piece. For a promo, it ran a bit long, but the images were fantastic.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
For a promo, it ran a bit long, .
As much as I'd like to blame that on Eric, truth is I've never been good a reading and following instructions. I misinterpreted the rules about length to mean "FROM 30 to 60 seconds" instead of "EITHER 30 or 60 seconds."

I also thought that we had until August 31st to submit (end of the month) not the 30th.

The rules stated we have a month after the deadline to have our PSA broacast, I interepreted this to mean we had a month after the deadline to FIND a sponsor.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Eric,

That was wonderfully done. It certainly conveyed your message effectively. It looked and sounded very professional to me. On a side note, drinking water in the US will be a bigger problem in the not so distantant future than what it is today. We will all drink and bath in recycled water. Cheers.

So much for my dead silence...;)
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Major Player

that, is disgusting Oliver..

and quit crying already Brian. You sound like a girl I dated in 7th grade. Only difference is, well, you're probably better looking ;- )
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Major Player

Eric,

It is not discusting, it is a fact already. It is aready being done in parts of the US. It is a fact. Look it up. Drink it up. I have already, I filter my drinking water myself.
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #11
Major Player

This is a serious issue… drinking water is one of our biggest problems on the globe… a very nice PSA… WELL DONE!
In my Rotary club we collect money every week for a water project in Africa.
The PSA look really professional and the editing flows nice with the girls words.

Cheers
Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge