Hunting The Hard Way, Long Form - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:06 PM   #61
Major Player

Dale,
You have made the most enjoyable film in this round, I think. As a guitar-player I really love this. Your animals like the music as much as I do. It is no fight between cat and bird.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:30 AM   #62
Trustee

Good afternoon to you Dale.
Although you originally intended to show us something else in this round, I love this video. It shows (at least I feel it this way when I watch it) a strong bond between man and bird. Yes, and the cat too :) Hope you're getting better and looking forward to see your final ULF video.

Regards
Geir Inge
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:42 AM   #63
Trustee

As I said previously Dale, get this right and I think this is a saleable piece. You have a big story and with the recent sad events I can see this thing in a broadcastdocumentary more than ever. Make sure you get your sound clean, this could cause you a problem further down the line if it goes further.

This stage has a lovely relaxed warmth to it...and was it me or was that bird dancing to your guitar playing! - I think this section juxtaposed against the death of the falcon would make very emotivedocumentary.

Keep at it fella....very, very promising!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #64
Major Player

Hi Dale

Like everyone else I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. You obviously have a very good rapport with animals - I definitely couldn't have sat as calmly as you did with a couple of falcon talons in my hand like that - eina (S.A. for ouch) that must have been sore!

Certainly a good strong introductory sequence to your film that will warm the audience and set them up for some interesting insights into Falconry. Looking forward to viewing this film. Really well done Dale.

Marj
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM   #65
Inner Circle

Good Afternoon,

Well, with the dead line over I thought I would place the two links to my video on Vimeo. I broke the 40 minute video down into two parts as it was larger than the 500 mgb limit for downloads.

Considering I could not get the fall footage I had originally planned upon we had to use footage I shot last January which was supposed to be in the second or third part of the series.

With the challenge over, I will carry on with the project injecting early season footage shot in prior years and it looks like the finished series will likly be two parts rather than the original three. That, of course, will depend on the shoots I can orchestrate in the following three months.

Anyway, for those that take the time to download this nicer version I hope you enjoy it and have some constructive criticism that will be helpful as I carry this out to completion.

Last edited by Meryem Ersoz; November 23rd, 2009 at 08:28 AM.
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM   #66
Major Player

Dale.... what a fascinating story. I've finished part 1. You have some wonderful footage there. The music competed with your narration a bit, but the story was able to be understood. You are a natural on camera!

Bravo. Well done.

Chris S.

ps. Later, after I view it a second time, I will PM you with constructive observations on places that stand out in my eye, ear or mind either positively or negatively, but on a first viewing, I have nothing but compliments at this time!
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM   #67
Wrangler

we are still sorting out uploads...please don't link to your final film until we are sure that we have all the entries - you will know this when they are all linked to the UWOL website, then you can have at it.

sorry, folks, but we have made this request repeatedly...it isn't fair to start the contest until we have this sorted out.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #68
Inner Circle

Here are the nicer versions of my video:

Hunting the Hard Way part 1

Hunting the Hard way part 2

This video was to be three parts, and ultimately it will be. However I could not get the fall footage so the 16 minutes of footage that would have let me break it down as the original plan will be taken from footage shot in prior years, which of course we can't do in the challenge.

For those that take the time to watch this version I look forward to you constructive criticisms of a useful nature!!! you all have been so helpful for the last year!!
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM   #69
Wrangler

Dale, there may be some things that weren't technically perfected, but your heart for these magnificent birds really came through...there's something about your way with them that really gets to the heart of the transcendant bond between humans and animals...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge