UWOL #13 - "Order on a Giant Scale" - Mike Beckett - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Excellent it of film there, though the lack of saturation lets it down as you know. I like the sense of scale with the giant's organ. One little criticism of the push focussing at 1:03 is that you rush off to the next clip without giving the viewer time to see what you are re-focussing on.

Your comment at the end about people getting of the buses, taking a picture, then rushing back on again reminded me of the southern tip of Gibraltar - people tumbling out of buses to take a picture across the straits to north Africa, then back on the bus without seeing anything else - never mind the kites and harriers flying a few metres above their heads after battling the winds to cross the straits on their spring migrations. But then, I'm biased towards the birds.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #17
Trustee

Annie,

Thanks for the comments. The saturation issue is really beginning to bug me, it's not much fun seeing everything go to pieces in the final encode.

I am figuring out how to fix that, clearly my encoding needs to change, but there's not a lot of options in CS3 at the encode stage. It pains me to see the much cheaper Elements 7 giving you so much better results!

You're probably right about the focus pull. There's a few things I could tweak, but time was pretty short this time round.
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #18
Major Player

Okay, I am now glow-in-the-dark green. Amazing place to be sure.

This is another professional production from you Mike. Very nice theme and very beautifully filmed and narrated. You have a very good eye for composition - your scenes throughout are beautifully framed.

Two minor problems for me - the music going up and down in volume a bit too obviously between the breaks in the narration and your bug-bear, the somewhat fuzzy compression of the Uwol upload.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #19
Trustee

Hi Marj,

Thanks for the kind words. You're probably right about the music, and I would re-write the voiceover in places given the choice, but you don't always get good critical commentary until you get it reviewed by your peers. My family wouldn't say anything other than "it's great" which is very annoying!

I really do have to work on the encoding. I tried the Sorenson Squeeze trial and got brilliant results, but it's $500 that I don't currently have. I may try Quicktime Pro to see if it's any better than CS3.

Maybe I should practice my UWOL encoding well before the last few hours of the challenge!
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #20
Trustee

And special mention to Annie for her help with my compression/colour correction issues.

I guess I'm going to have to try getting my head round that Steve Hullfish book again. I gave up last time when I fell asleep reading it in the bath!
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #21
Major Player

Mike

I've been playing around with elements7 again this evening - using some clips of woodpeckers I took a couple of weeks ago - that's how difficult it is to find time to do anything these days.

Anyway, I found some other options under the "share" button - different export settings. I tried a couple, and found that the colours and saturation were likely to come out pretty poor compared with exporting as MPEG-2. Maybe I'd have had the same problem as you if I'd exported as anything else. I did see a setting somewhere in there for "Sorensen" but I didn't try it.

Vimeo is taking forever to upload the video, I exported it as 720p this time, and the colours don't look as good as with 1080p. No other settings changed, so far as I can see.

woodpecker- http://vimeo.com/5050980

Last edited by Annie Haycock; June 8th, 2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: addition of link
Annie Haycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #22
Trustee

Annie,

That's the problem - time! There's so many options in there that can be tried, and I typically leave this to the last thing on the night before the deadline!

I also have the disadvantage of a pretty ancient computer that makes export slow, and I can't edit in HD either, so I have to downconvert in-cam to DV befor editing, which probably hits the image quality as well.

Nice woodpeckers, BTW. Always nice to find something that isn't small and brown!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge