Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #15 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Mike,

you should go on the injured list and tell your story!!
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I went out from 7 to noon yesterday to film at my local Audubon center with little luck. The center is small and surrounded by highways, and the animals in southern NH are always quite skiddish. I did see a red fox at the end of my excursion, just in time for it to take cover under a barn. Trying to decide if I should go back for the fox or find a new location farther north.
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #18
Trustee

Dale,

I lifted a 23kg suitcase on my vacation and "pulled something"... not the end of the world, it just makes life that little bit more tender. Should be OK in a week or so. Not even a real injury, by your standards!

My camera arm's still OK, I just need to bribe someone to carry the big rucksack.
Old October 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #19
Major Player

Went out this morning. Mist rising off the lake and Canada geese providing plenty of gorgeous shots. I'm using a dinky little $30 point and shoot camera tripod. Oh mercy. Some of the 60fps stuff might work alright, but I cannot wait until I get a real tripod under this camera of mine. Somewhere in between California and Maryland right now on a UPS Ground truck.

Check it out this quick video:

Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #20
Trustee

Beautiful day this morning but too many gunshots going off in the park. Sounds like Apocalypse Now.

Might have to wait a week or so till the "City Hunters" stop blasting everything that moves.
Certainly going out to get a blaze orange vest or something. We've already had hunters shot by other hunters this year.
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #21
Major Player

Might have a chance...
The wife is heading down to Springfield for the weekend, (cousin's wedding) and won't be back to tomorrow afternoon...
Tomorrow morning is suppose to be sunny and not too cold...
So I should have a chance to head out to one of the local forest preserves in the AM...
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Oh, Sh*t!

So here I am in Pismo Beach for the week. Plenty of material around and I just discovered I left my tripod at home )-:

Guess it's time to go buy a cheap tripod and make do. But I have a bad feeling about pans and tilts.
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Been up in the mountains hiking all day. Beautiful sunny weather. Did see a lot of footprints in the snow from birds and some I believe is from lemmings. Was lucky enough to see a rabbit for about 5-10 seconds too.
The bad part, I didn't get the rabbit on tape. So far I have a bit B-roll of the kingdom, but no animals.
Out again tomorrow hoping to get something alive on tape.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #24
Trustee

Despite my predictions, I went out all day today and had a great day... misty start, but a beautiful sunny, warm day for late Autumn in Ireland.

Pity I didn't see much in the way of wildlife though, despite the promises of thousands of migratory geese having arrived. I am thinking of calling my film "Dots in the distance" at this stage!

I took my "sock-loupe" out for a spin today because of the sunshine. It was unusual (floppy and hard to set up quickly) but it was really good being able to focus using the LCD in bright sunlight, so the good outweighs the bad.

Now I have the joy of sorting out the camera bag. It always starts the day off so neat and tidy and ordered, and by the time I get home I think there's been a fight in there.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; October 17th, 2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Learn to type!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #25
Major Player

Okay, I have been out on three seperate occassions, and all I have to show is leaves, some bugs, and berries. Where did all the wildlife go?

Another nice cool sunny day here, so, I will check in later, after I get back, hopefully with something worthwhile.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mendolia View Post
Where did all the wildlife go?
Funny...I was asking myself the same question today...

Went to one of my favorite preserves today...beautiful place...
32º when I got there at 8:30am...sunny, nice....sure to be something...well sort of...

Flock of geese just below the dam until I set up my camera and then bye-bye...
Finally found a pair of ducks...across the river and me without any sort of teleconvertor for my short zoom...(miss my GL2 some days)

Stayed until my feet got cold...got about an hour of pretty scenery...may have to tweak the theme...unless I can get back out during the week...

Gratuitous self photo here:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...oting_1_sm.jpg

Last edited by Bob Thieda; October 18th, 2009 at 02:58 PM.
Bob Thieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #27
Major Player

Dang. Everyone seems to be having a hard time finding animals. Hope everyone has better luck in these last couple of weeks.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #28
Trustee

I can see this is going to turn into another "best dressed UWOLer" again!

Not entirely sure what I was trying to capture there. All I noted was that the little Rycote Softie has the same haircut as me...

And yes, what was it with the wildlife? I was promised thousands of geese and other birds, and they had all inexpelicable bug..., er, gone away. The seal colony was empty, and there were no waders anywhere.

I did have one "wow" moment when I was driving along, very slowly, scanning for birds, when a buzzard landed about 12 feet away from the 4x4 on a treetop, stared at me, spread his wings and flapped off down to the shore in an inaccessible area. It's as if he knew that my camera was in the boot/trunk and would take at least 2 minutes to set up...
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe: UWOL #15-scrabo.jpg  
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #29
Trustee

Hunting season here so everything is laying low and staying put during the day.
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #30
Major Player

Finished. I’m sure there’s a lot more I could do, but I’m still lacking some shots for my long form entry. As soon as I comment on some feedback threads I’m off to try again. Best of luck to everyone. Don’t forget “Plan B”. I use it a lot! (Plan B is always the same- if whatever you went to shoot doesn’t show up, shoot whatever does show up!)
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge