DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#15 "Barnacle Kingdom"-Finn-Erik Faale (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/466860-uwol-15-barnacle-kingdom-finn-erik-faale.html)

Sam Mendolia November 4th, 2009 08:47 PM

Better your boots than the aquarium withthe camera in it.

Some of the people I work with are weekend sailors, and have also gone through having to scrap zebra mussels, off the hulls, as they were fowling up everything, and slowing them down, during friendly competions, on the Lake Ontario.

Bill Thesken November 4th, 2009 11:42 PM

Finn, this brought back memories when I helped a buddy sail his 35' Pearson to a nearby island and re-do the bottom. It's a big job. I really appreciated the close up shots of the live barnacles.

Geir Inge November 6th, 2009 02:34 AM

Hi Finn-Erik

Your video is the first I'll comment. I will use the list at The UWOL Challenge - Wildlife & Outdoor based film competition but watching the videos I might use the vimeo files.

I have watched your video on Vimeo and must say I like it a lot.
You give us (the viewer) a look into the world of Barnacles, but also how they can affect life of human. It gave me a laugh when you tell about how they can make our feet bleed, taking a bath in the sea. Reminds me of the summertime way back when…
All in all I think this is a good story, it fit the theme very well and you tell it quite well I think.
Nice VO and when it comes to editing you do a splendid job. Also want to mention your transitions. Most of the time I myself like clean cut. Still, I think you are using the theme in your transitions making them a part of your video in a cool way.
At 1.08 you go from the underside of your boat to the beach and at 1.16 where you are using a drop. I think both of these transitions can be used as an example for others. Very well done!
One question about the transition at 1.16, because I wonder if it’s on purpose we can see the video maker in the drop, or just coincidence? Anyway, I liked it.
Again a good story, told very well along with good technical skills when it comes to editing and filming.

Good luck and all the best.
Geir Inge

Finn-Erik Faale November 6th, 2009 07:36 AM

Thanks again for nice comments.

Bob, Sam and Bill,
I did not know that we are a whole sailing team here at UWOL.
I am happy for that. I hope to see some more sailing related videos sooner or later.

Geir Inge,
Your comments are always so rich and generous.
I am glad you had time for them between all your studies.
About 1.16: Your observation is correct, it is the video maker you can see in the drop. I was happy when I discovered when I came home and viewed the shots that there was an auto-portrait in the droplet.

Mat Thompson November 11th, 2009 03:44 PM

Very nice piece Finn-Erik and well deserved win. Story is king and this was a great little story with a personalised feel !

Please drop me a email and I will let you know what I need for your place in the Winners Circle!

mdtmail@yahoo.co.uk

Sam Mendolia November 16th, 2009 07:53 AM

Finn-Erik,

Personally, I hate cold water, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Congratulations on the win.

P.S.

I haven't taken the camera out on the water for a long time, I guess I will now have to.

Annie Haycock November 22nd, 2009 04:31 AM

Excellent film, and very educational.

I really liked the use of the split under/over water shots showing the barnacles feeding and "sleeping" - I don't think I've seen that before. I used an old aquarium for stills, many years ago, but hadn't thought about it for video. Maybe I'll try it some time.

There are two or three clips at around 00:45 that I think are too short - there wasn't time to appreciate one before moving to the next. The criticisms that other people have made - I noticed them when I first watched the video, but when I looked for them on a second viewing, I did not find them a problem. I wonder if we, as film-makers, are sometimes too critical of technique (eg use of watery transitions) because we have been told that that they are bad, so we see them before seeing the overall picture of the story.

Ah, I have just seen that you won this competition - congratulations. I haven't yet looked at any of the other entries, but I know I liked this one.

Finn-Erik Faale November 22nd, 2009 01:36 PM

Annie and Sam,

Thanks for comments and gratulations.