DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#15 "Barnacle Kingdom"-Finn-Erik Faale (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/466860-uwol-15-barnacle-kingdom-finn-erik-faale.html)

Finn-Erik Faale October 31st, 2009 07:38 AM

UWOL#15 "Barnacle Kingdom"-Finn-Erik Faale

It is three years since my boat Flora last time was set on shore.
The animal life on her underwater hull gave the idea to this video.
I must confess, it has been a bit hectic to participate simultaneously in the short and the long form competition. However, it is fun.
In lack of underwater housing, I have used a small aquarium from my childhood.
Some underwater shots are taken on the seashore with the camera inside the aquarium, others with the camera outside and the barnacles inside the aquarium.
I neither have jib nor jolly. When the camera is moving along the boat's keel, the tripod is hanging in a rope.
As you see, I am a low-end video-maker.

Chris Swanberg October 31st, 2009 01:41 PM

Finn-Erik... you claim to be a low end film maker but the imagery and storytelling was excellent. A very enjoyable watch.... and the underwater footage... magnificent.

[Note to self: Hmmm I think I must have an old acquarium lying around I can add to my film-making tool kit !]

Chris S.

Dale Guthormsen October 31st, 2009 02:00 PM

Finn,

Great Job!! Nothing like creativity to come up with cool ideas like using an aquarium to do some underwater shooting, Brillant!!

It was a really nice piece and I loved the barnicle feeding footage!!!

Very pleasurable.

Mike Sims October 31st, 2009 04:59 PM

Hi Finn-Erik. Low budget but high production values! I always love watching your work, you have such great camera angles and varied shots. I especially liked the above and below water shot. Very well done. I never knew barnacles were called Waving Angels!

Finn-Erik Faale November 1st, 2009 04:49 AM

Thanks for encouraging comments,
the aquarium was useful but I took many scenes with poor quality because I did not hold it steady in the waving sea.

Trond Saetre November 1st, 2009 05:41 AM

Finn-Erik,
You are no longer a low-end film maker!
This was quality work in my eyes!

I like the story about the barnacles and the shots of the waving angels, which reminds me a little about my uc14 entry, and the underwater shots were really cool. Great idea to use the aquarium as a housing.

Well done!

Oliver Pahlow November 1st, 2009 08:04 AM

That was a very clever way to get your underwater shots Finn-Erik. I would have to agree, a low-end film maker you are not. Fantastic.

Rich Ryan November 1st, 2009 09:57 AM

Finn-Erik,

I agree with previous comments, this is not a low-end video! You have really put together a nice piece.

The underwater sequences were outstanding. And that you were able to shoot this using an aquarium as an underwater housing is amazing!

Once again the music was really well done.

The only thing I found negative was the "wave" transition was a little over used.

Mike Beckett November 1st, 2009 12:50 PM

Finn-Erik,

Very atmospheric piece that, I love that crisp, clean light that you have.

The underwater footage worked very well, considering the improvised housing. I liked the macro pans/tracking shots, and the nice, slow, sink into the water to show us the barnacles feeding. There's some remarkably clear video there, despite filming from inside a fish tank!

Good voiceover too.

Definitely an interesting take on the animal kingdom theme.

Kevin Railsback November 1st, 2009 07:05 PM

Finn-Erik,

Nice, nice film!

The underwater shots of the barnacles was just beautiful. There's no other word for it. I loved the split-screen shot of the barnacles above and below the water.

I thought it was well paced and your VO was very smooth. I thought the music went well with the natural sounds.

Let me just throw a could things out there.

Try adding a drop shadow to your titles. It'll make them stand out a bit more and not look so flat.

What if you switched things up a bit and started out sailing and talking about the boat not being as fast and THEN get into the boat coming out of the water revealing the "stars" of the film?

It started with the boat out of the water, then sailing and then back out of the water again.

A great example of not having to have the latest greatest gadgets to make a good film!

Bob Thieda November 2nd, 2009 08:13 AM

Finn-Erik....Nice job...

I really liked the underwater shots of the feeding barnacles....

And the aquarium idea...just brilliant!

Not to mention, I love sailboats, so I was pulled right in to the video.

Excellent entry.

Finn-Erik Faale November 2nd, 2009 12:07 PM

All of you,
thanks a lot for feedback and comments.
The bad thing after all, is that I did forget to de-interlace the uploaded video.
So, the small UWOL film is not as good as the Vimeo version.
Kevin,
Thanks for good suggestions. The text is not easy to read.

Chris Barcellos November 2nd, 2009 02:29 PM

Finn-Erik:

I don't know much about water craft, but had heard that barnacles are a problem on them. Your piece made the problem that is caused understandable. Thank you for a very informative and very neat film !

Sam Mendolia November 2nd, 2009 03:32 PM

I loved this piece.

The aquarium idea has been something I kicked around about 15 years ago, but never had the guts to try.

I know better now.

I have collected some of those barnacles, and have them in the basement, with a collection of other things, to show the kids.

I guess I will now show them this video, and what they are like when they are alive.

Finn-Erik Faale November 4th, 2009 02:10 PM

Thanks for comments.

Chris,
The barnacles can really slow down a sailing boat.
Motor vessels can get serious problems if the propeller is inhabited.

Sam,
The aquarium idea did work, but my boots were filled with sea water during the filming.