UWOL #15 "The Bird Hunters" - Trond Saetre - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #16
Trustee

Tronde,

I'm wore out watching those dogs run! :)

The first time I watched the film I never even noticed that it was hand held. Certainly takes some stamina to shoot in the cold hand held for any extended period of time.

I think you set the stage well to show the challenge the dogs were going to have searching for their prey. Such a vast area and it really shows how amazing these dogs are being able to track their prey down like that.

I thought the music added to the excitement and the urgency to find the prey.
The VO was well done and not so much as to distract from the imagery. It was added when needed and you let the film breather and develop while not weighting it down with a lot of dialog.

My only "note" if you will is let's see Vera up close before she sets off in search of her quarry. The shot at 00:38 would have been a good establishing shot.

Very nice ending showing the bond between Vera and your sister.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:58 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Kevin,
Thank you for the feedback. A close up of Vera in the beginning would have been a very good thing. Maybe I could have used the shot from 0:55 as an establishing shot of Vera?

The dog you see at 0:38 is not Vera, but her best friend Marko. He was crying whenever Vera was allowed to hunt while he had to wait.
At 1:15-1:17 you can see how much bigger Marko is than Vera, as he comes back to her while he was running free as one of the hunters. (But their size difference is almost impossible to see in the other shots)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:22 AM   #18
Major Player

Trond,

Well...I love dogs, so I cannot help but love this video.

I'm very impressed that you did it all hand held...very good work and a very steady hand.

As Kevin mentioned, I would have liked to see a couple of close shots early on...I like seeing the dog's faces up close..
And maybe it would have broken up the long shots a bit...

A very nice entry...congratulations...
Old November 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Bob,
Thank you for the feedback.
I'll listen to you and Kevin, and include more close ups if I re-edit the video later.
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Major Player

Trond,

Great video, I never realized how much training went into these dogs.

I wish my hands were as steady as yours. Everything worked well, as the dogs did the unexpected, you kept up with them, anticipating, and getting it on tape. Great job.
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #21
Trustee

Hi Trond.

I have been watching your YouTube video and think it’s a good video, also the way you approach the theme. Nice VO, but a little bit low on volume?
As I understand it’s all shot by hand held camera, you’re doing a great job.
But my oh my if you had a tripod at your side. This would be, not only a great video, but a great-great video :)

Some wishes:
At 00.15 I wish the shot could stay for just a few more seconds. It’s a beautiful shot of the landscape, the lake and mountains covered by snow. I bet you wish you had a tripod right at your side, at this time? In the beginning of your video I think a few shots are a little to short, it’s going to fast from one shot to another. Also I wish for a more neutral font/layout of the title. Especially in these short Uwol videos, of ours. I think white on black never fails, but that’s only my opinion. Great scenery and I love the dogs. A few more close ups would have been nice though :) When I look at a wildlife video I almost always think of the close ups as the best part of the videos. These clips/shots is it that bring us “closer” to the wildlife or shall I say, the Animal Kingdom.

Liked your video very much and wish you all the best.
Give my regards to your sister and Vera - both great actresses :)

Geir Inge
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #22
Wrangler

I would nominate Vera as our official UWOL mascot...

...except my new puppy, Daisy, might have a little something to say about it...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Sam,
Yes, it takes a lot of time and effort both for the dogs and the owners to let the dogs become skilled hunters. Their instinct tells them how to search, ie the search patterns, but the interaction with the owner and also which smells to search for takes time to learn. Very fun to see when the dogs finally master it.

Geir Inge,
Yes I wish I had a tripod with me for the establishing shots of the area. Would have improved the quality. Behind the lake at 0:15, you see the Hardangerjøkulen glacier.
More close ups is noted, as Kevin also commented, and will be remembered in the future films. Thank you.

Meryem,
Vera happily and proudly accepted your nomination with a big VOFF :)
And Vera also would like to have Daisy as her second in command. haha ;)
Old November 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #24
Wrangler

Wow, even the dogs speak Norvegian! Daisy replies to Vera's VOFF with a WOOF!

WOOF is 'marican for VOFF, in case you need a translation!

GUAU GUAU en espanol!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #25
Major Player

For a hand-held video, this is very good. A close-up of a ptarmigan would have been nice, but I guess you would have needed a lot of luck to find one without the dogs flushing it first.
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Thank you for the comment, Annie.
I agree that having a close up of the birds would have been real good. But what you see in the video is actually the only shot I got of the birds. And the distance from me to the birds were about 100-150 meters. The dogs also found other birds much closer to us, but I was unable to get them on tape. Better luck next time.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge