Mosiac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Mosiac

Good afternoon,

Well, this has been my most frustrating chllenge to date.

The original story line had to be scraped. We had snow,sleet, rain, wind and cold temps which prevented me from even getting to the location to shoot. I was not physically capable of hiking in through the Mud for my most important shots and close-ups.

I had some footage and thought I might get some footage thursday and Friday. Unexpected company from Germany and out of town occupied those days and I was physically trashed by 8:00 last night when the house was clear.

I sat down and looked at what I had and groaned. Wife sheila encouraged me to see what i could do, so I did.

I put it together, did the voice over and made the mp4. My player would not give me sound at all!!! I had it sounding alright from the timeline so I submitted it!!!

Today I downloaded vlc player and well, I wish I had not bothered!!

I know, excuses, excuses, excuses.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Dale do you have a link? I am unable to find yours for viewing.

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Here is a better link

Old November 1st, 2009, 08:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Dale- Sorry you had so much trouble this time. I enjoyed watching this one. I liked the shot of the Buffleheads. How did you do the long pan at the end. Nice. The music was well chosen. It gave a very relaxed feeling. Maybe with the long drought gone I’ll get to see the Snow Geese return again this winter!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Major Player

Dale,
What a kingdom! It is so fascinating to watch the mess of flying Snow Geese in 00:56-01:07.
With all your problems, you have made a fine film.
The voice over is a bit too low for a Norwegian ear.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dale,

Sorry you had just a bad time of it. I hope you managed to follow rule #11 for at least a short time.

I enjoyed your offering. That's a lot of geese! Just the shear number of geese is overwhelming. The pan you did starting at 1:50 was nicely executed, I have difficulty getting a smooth pan for that long, so "my hat's off to you."

The topic is interesting. I would have liked to learn a bit more about the geese and their life. You had some fine footage. You voice over is good, but I would have liked more information about the geese.
Rich Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Major Player

Dale.. This was a visual treat and spectacle. How lucky you are to live near such a gathering of birds!

I'm sorry and can commiserate with your trials, tribulations and frustrations. The audio was not without it's "issues" but I know what you are capable of in that department and it doesn't serve any purpose to point out what you yourself probably already know. Stilll, it wasn't THAT bad.

Your long ending pan was nothing short of incredible. As I lust for a better tripod I find myself wishing I could afford a Miller, Sachtler but you seem to manage better than ok with your Vinten. Food for thought.

Thanks for a glimpse into a place and event few ever get to see !

Chris S.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM   #8
Trustee

Dale,

Well you triumphed over adveristy anyway, and produced an excellent little film.

Nice opening shots; the mid-air tracking shots through the mist were very well done, very smooth and very close-up. I see you got that superb feeding circle in too!

The music would seem bizarre if you played it separately, but it worked so well with the footage for some reason. Meks the geese seem pretty cool guys.

Those sequences of the massed birds (such as at approx. 1:47) were awesome. What a glorious racket they all make!

I presume the geese were quite far away - if so, that's a good mic you have, I'm going to have to think about an upgrade (and a blimp) soon. My location sound suffered and had to be hidden behind a music track and voiceover.
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Dale,
Even with all the problems you had this time, you made a nice and interesting video.
Well done!
The long pan in the end was amazing. First I thought it lasted a little bit too long, but then I got more and more impressed of both your camera skills, and also of how many birds you had there.

Thank you for sharing!
I look forward to your next ones.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Dale,

Loved that shot of the ducks spinning in a circle. I've never seen that before.

What an amazing site that must have been!

Those shots of thousands of geese in flight are awesome!!!

It might have been the most frustrating challenge for you but I think you produced fine work here.

Kudos to Sheila for encouraging you to push on.

The long pan was wild. Just when I thought you had to be coming to the end because there couldn't be THAT many birds, you kept on panning. It's a hard thing to do for so long and so smooth. Pat yourself on the back for that shot alone.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Major Player

Dale....a worthy effort, especially considering the obstacles put in your way...

The shots where you showed the shear numbers of birds really made the video for me...
There were several of them and they were all good.

Yes, the VO suffered a bit. The music tended to cover it up, but I did understand it...

Considering everything...nicely done!!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Dale,

What part of Germany did your company come from? That fog was amazing and the shot with the screen filled with flying birds, you did what looked like a pan that followed the flying birds at first then stopped the pan and the birds flew by. That was a nice effect. I enjoyed it alot. I did not think your VO suffered.
Oliver Pahlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the kind comentaries to be certain, appreciated.

This was unequivically the hardest one ever and it should have been my easiest!!!!

I felt it needed close ups I did not get!!

the Pan, the vintin tripod is an outstanding tripod and mostly limited by me.

Per johan inspired me to to step up to a higher level tripod and it was a fine investment!!!

H0owever, while I set the tension just right, used the trusty rubberband, and moved slower than natural for myself, I am not real pleased with the HDV or compression that casuses it to look jittery!!

I would love to hear how to avoid that from some you guys that know so much more than myself!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wondering if adding a bit of gausian blurr might help that???

LASTLY, I want to thank everyone on this list for the last (almost three years) of help. I joined this group to learn and improve my wildlife videoography and I must say that it has been a huge help technically speaking and as well as inspirationally!!! My work you never see has improved so much!!! You people are all the best.
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Wrangler

it's amazing that these birds fly so close to each other, in such a tight pack, without ever seeming to plow into each other....how do they do it? put humans in the same numbers, and we're trampling all over each other...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I read somewhere that the birds keep track of the (up to) 7 closest birds, and by this they can keep their position in the pack without hitting each other.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge