Tales of Wonder and Woe UWOL 15 1/2 DIY at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tales of Wonder and Woe UWOL 15 1/2 DIY

Hi guys and gals,
What is uwol without wonders and woes.
You all know what this thread is all about.
Hopefully more wonders than woes.

And everyone should stricktly follow rule #11; Have fun!

Now, let's go out and shoot our days.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Trustee

I've got my music picked out for this one. I've got it narrowed down to two tracks.

I think I do things back asswards in that I don't even know what I'm shooting yet but I already have my music picked out and I'll make what I shoot fit the music and not the other way around.

Seems that my most liked UWOL challenge films have been ones where I had the music picked out in advance and made the shots fit the music.

So, we'll see if this holds true for this one as well or am I just talking out the wrong orifice like I usually do! :)
Hopefully I'll have the beginning of an idea today and can start getting some shots.

Good luck to everyone!!!

UPDATE:

Well, I've come up with an idea. Or at least this idea keeps popping into my head and won't allow me to open up my mind to other ideas. Course, that always frustrates me to no end because there are a million stories out there and my mind locks onto something whether it's a good idea or not and won't let me think of anything else.

So, I have this idea. I just explained it to my wife and I could tell right away that she is not following it at all. So , that concerns me because usually she can at least understand the concept. So she has no idea what the heck I just talked about for this idea I have.

So now I'm really in trouble. :) My mind has locked on an idea that I can't even explain to my wife and have her follow along. Gonna be an interesting ride. :)

Last edited by Kevin Railsback; February 20th, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
Kevin Railsback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Well, this was not a title I had picked. Mostly because the the things we do have been blocked out by cold and to much white stuff. the only access in the countryside are the few graded dirt roads the school busses have to drive. So I am going to have to stretch the very small creative zone in my nogan.

think I may try Kevin's approach, come up with the audio first.

Dale
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

My approach wasn't exactly the most planned.
Went out a few minutes after I learned the theme, but not sure if I got any useful footage at all. Maybe I should try a tiny bit planning too.
But I had a good time.

Music first? Maybe that could be an idea. Never done that before for uwol.

Good luck everyone!
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:32 AM   #5
Major Player

"A day in the life". Is the theme.
Could be that of a tree, a home, a person, a rock, a family, a company, a project, a car, a plane, a mountain, a religion, a town, an office, a hat, a cat, or a cat in a hat, almost any object, or idea that life revolves around during the day. I'm imagining a timelapse of the park nearby. Or of my cat sleeping under a bush all day. The wheel of a car as it drives through town. A homeless shelter. A composer. I'm thinking of the time limitation, 3 minutes to fit an entire day, and what story can be told to enlighten, and entertain. The possibilities are endless. Something great is about to happen.....

I forgot to add, fiction or non-fiction, since as film makers we are not constrained to the mundane.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Bill,

Yes to everything: UNDER WATER OVER LAND behind the theme.

3 minutes makes it the challenge.

Dale
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Trustee

Well, pretty much got shut out my first day of filming today. Saw some things but the shots just were flat and not very exciting.

So, back to the drawing board to see if I can find some spots that fire me up and want to capture them.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Major Player

I saw some of the names on the list so I figured I'd better go all-out.
Wrote a 2 page script, got the shots and sequences in my mind, checked to see if the title is Trademarked, and it's clear. Got the tools dusted off. I'm ready to rock n' roll.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Trustee

You can't copyright a title anyway. Look how many films have been called Titanic. Eight I think. :)
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Good evening,

6 hours in the wheels with camera gear, no footage.

However I had lots of time to sort out my title, plot and tenitive voice overs. At least I know what i will do. I am pretty sure I can get the necesary footage.

Title, unless disaster strikes: 'Day in the life of a Refugee"

Good Luck everyone!!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
You can't copyright a title anyway. Look how many films have been called Titanic. Eight I think. :)
Well, that's a historic vessel. Not sure I can make a short film titled, 'Star Wars', 'Harry Potter', 'Jerry Maguire', or 'Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief' without looking over my shoulder. I'm just hoping I can pull this off and raise some eyebrows in the UWOL community. ;)
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Here is one for you people.

After being sick most of the night (ate some bad food at the rink while preping for a shoot coming up), laying around till lunch I finally felt like eating. Stir crazy I loaded up the cameras and tripods after checking to make sure they were ready to go.

I got out in the field, turned on the h1 with the big lens on it (of course I had a perfect shot to get), no image just a dark screen!!! I disconnected the lens system, put it back together, nothing!!

Last time this happened I had blown the fuse in the camera because the fu 1000 plug had been slightly pulled out. Cost 400 dollars last time, anxiety set in in a big way!!!!

I turned around and headed home.

When home I started checking things out and was saying a few choice french words when it dawned on me that the brightness dial on the fu 1000 may have been turned all the way down; yep, that was it. Now how did i do that after checking it out first??? Seems I can mess up anything!!! Considering I have a two camera shoot in a few days I was sweating bullets. Guess I need a third hd camera as back up.

A quick hook up to the tv, color bars pulled up, recalibrated the fu 1000 and set the peaking dial again.

I got back out for an hour and shot some footage but do not think I will be able to use it as it was pretty windy (my usual nemisis) and shooting at the far end is pretty tuff, even off a good pod.

Hope everyone is having fun!!! I wonder how everyone defines having fun?!

Dale
Old February 25th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
I got back out for an hour and shot some footage but do not think I will be able to use it as it was pretty windy (my usual nemisis) and shooting at the far end is pretty tuff, even off a good pod.

Hope everyone is having fun!!! I wonder how everyone defines having fun?!
Seems like you and I battled the same wind. And my good old Manfrotto tripod/501 head did not like the cold weather. (about -15 to -20C and about 30mph wind).
Panning smoothly, well I could forget that.
And the handheld shots I attempted are mostly too shaky for anything but a homevideo.

Oh, and "having fun" is defined as doing anything related to video, especially uwol. :)
Old February 25th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi Dale and Trond,

High winds and snow! I have have just had nothing but rain, rain and more rain. Hope the weather bucks up soon. So sat indoord and recorded these goldfinches at our feeder in the rain

Mick

PS Dale please to hear the camera probs were operator based and nothing more serious

Last edited by Mick Jenner; February 25th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Trustee

New toy :)

Good afternoon to you all.

Well, I have bought me a new toy, Vegas Pro 9 for this round of uwol.
I am used to edit in Avid Liquid, so Vegas will be a new experience for me.
Though I have allready noticed that the Vegas layout is very much similar to my audio tool, Acid. So I hope that will help me out a bit.
Still I have to try and fail as usual I guess :)
Also I have bought me a new Samsung Led TV (100% HD) only 3 cm thick, and for the first time I am able to watch my own videos in HD.
Just one word: Awesome!

So what am I to film this round.
One thing for sure: there will be snow.
When it comes to creatures I'm not sure, but some birds maybe.
I think I will do most of my filming up coming weekend as I got Saturday and Sunday off work.
For the occation I leave you with two photo (taken 31 jan and 4 feb) to show our landscape right now.
View from the fjord and me skiing ;) I'm glad the last one is a still photo and not part of a video :/

Good luck everyone.

Geir Inge
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonder and Woe UWOL 15 1/2 DIY-fjorden.jpg   Tales of Wonder and Woe UWOL 15 1/2 DIY-geir-inge-1.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge