And the winner of UWOL 15.5 is ....... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Trustee

And the winner of UWOL 15.5 is .......

Firstly well done to everyone for completing the challenge and thanks to Dale for running this round. Its been a tricky one to call but I will give critique on all the videos and hopefully you'll understand why I landed where I have with this.

Ok then.....start the drum roll !!!

Runner up goes to

Dale Guthormson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This film to me had the strongest premise and some nice photography. (Your running jack rabbit shot was great.) - The story was good and its structure interesting. I liked the historical background you started with and I like the way you ended the piece with a little jeopardy.

I have noted a number of improvements that would have further lifted the piece.

For me the editing and delivery of the story was lacking and let the film down overall. Some of the shots could also have been better controlled and stabilised.

I also felt the music that was used throughout added to the lack of story delivery because it didn't give any change of mood. For example to the birds possible danger/predation.

Many thanks for introducing us to this determined immigrant of your prairie.

and the Winner of this round is

Geir Inge
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me Geir Inge's entry was the most well produced and controlled film with lovely photography and an interesting look at cross country skiing. He chose a nice sound track and it was a film that needed no narration, speaking very well for itself. Its a simple idea that was well executed.

I have noted a number of improvements that would have further lifted the piece.

Your establishing material was very static and had the feeling of a stills slide show. Camera movement or some subject movement would have helped a lot.

Cut shots - It would have been nice to have had more cut aways to give more feel to the piece. Maybe a couple of wildlife shots or macro studies of snow covered vegetation. Maybe a shot with foreground in focus and you going through behind out of focus. I feel this material would have brought the viewer along with you more successfully.

A lovely trip through your amazing countryside.
Well done

An honourable mention goes to Bill Thesken

I really like it when our shooters do something different with their uwol entry. I liked your idea and it made me smile. I thought it was creatively shot with some interesting editing- I particularly liked your establishing shots from a photography point of view.

I felt the editing could have been snappier overall to deliver your punchlines with more, well, punch I guess! I found the variation in sound quality off putting in places and I think the use of some more sound effects would have helped sell certain sequences.

Lots of fun and creatively thought out.
Thanks for sharing

Finn Erik Faale

Your story telling and editing ability is strong, probably the strongest in this round. You use music to give mood and mix your imagery well to describe your subject and develop your story. In this film however I just found the premise quite weak and I didn't think it supported the theme much either. Your voice over was well delivered but some of the writing was unnecessary and didn't add much.

Trond Saetre

You gave us a nice introduction to your city with some nice imagery. The cloud/sunset timelapse was stunning. I thought overall your piece lacked premise or story. You said at one point this city has a relationship with the sea. I think you could have based this film on that premise with your city's day in the life and given it more of a purposeful feel.

Many thanks for letting me loose on judging this one and I hope you find my critiques useful.

Mat

Last edited by Mat Thompson; April 3rd, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Congrats everybody! Well done,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Good Morning, Hapopy Easter too!!

Matt, Thank you for taking the time!!!! Also for the constructive criticism!!

Geir, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I went back and watched it for the third time!!! What beautiful immagery!!! Matt made an excellent choice here!!!!!!

Gerat Job, Again!!!

dale
Old April 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Congratulations Geir Inge! Well done!

Mat,
Thanks for your comments.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Dale, thank you for setting up this competition.
It is always fun to participate.

Congratulations to Geir Inge and Dale.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Major Player

Way to go Geir! It was my favorite film also, especially when you were skiing down the slope carrying the camera.
Thanks to Dale & Mat for organizing and judging.
See you all at the next event.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Trustee

Thank you :)

Hello everyone.
I have been away on Eastern Holidays (skiing in the mountains) and today I’m back in business.
Thank you Mat for selecting my video this round and for being judge.
I especially appreciate your constructive comments on my video and I follow you on the tip about stills and cut shots.
I was in doubt if I was to use the mountain hare clips or not. Maybe I should have?
Maybe Dale is right when he says we're too hard on ourselves?
By the way, to you Dale: It’s not a snow shoe hare as I wrote, but a common mountain hare.
Just a second language problem from my side of the pond. We don’t have snow shoe hares in Norway.
Also want to say thank you and congrats to you Dale, Bill, Finn-Erik and Trond.

Geir Inge
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Major Player

Late congratulations to Gier Inge and to all the finishers. Very special congratulations to Dale for pulling this off. Well done everyone.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Wrangler

Back from my 6 weeks of traveling. 4 weeks on the Grand Canyon, 1 at home, 1 in Las Vegas for NAB...sure is great to be home at last...glad to see you all pulled together a Challenge round of your own - a testament to what a great community you are, with a judge and everything, very cool.

Congratulations to Geir...gonna go watch some of these films....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge