UWOL 16 Tales of wonder and Woe! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 18th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Began editing today. This time I am trying to make a totally different film compared to any previous uwol entries.
Scary and fun at the same time. Either people will like it, or it will be a total failure. But I'm optimistic as always, and strictly following rule 11 all the time.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #32
Major Player

Good to hear all the tales of wonder to date.

I had a really super story about a wildlife discovery and did quite a bit of research into it (just to make sure I could accomplish what I wanted to do) before asking permission from the centre involved to use it. Got some nice shots on the subject too. However, due to specific research they are conducting at the moment they do not feel they can give me permission to submit a film on this subject until their project is completed. Mmm - not sure what I am going to be able to come up with now.

Last edited by Marj Atkins; May 19th, 2010 at 04:56 AM.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #33
Trustee

Marj - Its a shame they didn't think about putting it out before you'd put the time in though but hey you'll have a nice piece eventually by the sounds of it :-/ !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #34
Major Player

Hi Mat
Definitely something to look forward to completing when it happens, but right now I have just hit another problem! I thought I would film a trip to my favourite birding spot (I needed a simple story at this late stage). However I have just found out that it is at the centre of a huge water pollution scandal and that daily thousands of litres of untreated mine water is being pumped into the river that feeds the wetland. I feel so so sad. I am not sure what I will find when I get there . . .
Old May 19th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Marge,

that is a great opportunity to make a film that makes a statement!!!!!!

go for it!!!
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #36
Major Player

Hi Dale

Yes I have a story for sure although not the one I had intended. Unfortunately there's not much time left in which to do this so it will have to be very simple.

Did I say thousands of litres a day? . . . . Different sources give different figures but anything between 48 and 100 million litres of contaminated water is being pumped daily into the river upstream of this wetland!

One weekend left - looking forward to seeing all the films. Tronde - what you are up to sounds intriguing!
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #37
Inner Circle

Marj, I really hope you get a chance to complete and publish your film. Sounds like you have enough there for a long-form uwol or even more.

As for my entry, it will be a journey into the landscape of western Norway.
Or something like that.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Good evening,

Hope all is going well.

I was hoping to download tonight or tomarrow morning.

Leaving at noon tomarrow for a shoot up north.
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #39
Trustee

Things got complicated!

Well, to be true I haven´t even started yet! Not a single frame of footage shoot.

My plan A was to go to the mountains but there´s a severe hazard for avalanche in the area, so I decided to stay safe at home!
And I´m planning to shoot the entire piece with a DSLR, but strike caused some of my equipment not to be ready to pick up for my shooting! It´s a Zacuto viewfinder and a wide lens who is sitting waiting at a warehouse terminal somewhere in Oslo!

So, plan B is to go to the nearest bird sanctuary, Østensjøvannet in Oslo. Hopefully I can get something. Anyway I will follow rule #11 strictly - most of all, have fun!
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:15 AM   #40
Major Player

I had an idea for a shoot on Skomer Island, based on Travel diaries: Visiting the puffins on Skomer Island, Wales - by Annie Haycock - Helium but a long period of northerly winds stopped the boat going across, and then the island was closed for seabird counting.

So to plan B, and finally, on Wednesday, I managed to find a spare couple of hours to get out with the camera. I used a close-up filter on it for the first time, and really enjoyed shooting macro. I downloaded the tape that evening, but this morning is the first chance I've had to look at it. I knew that focussing was a problem - I really must get a field monitor to use outside (a portable dvd player does the job when I'm inside and keeping still) - but that was partly due to finding focussing distances with the close-up filter.

I hope I can find time today to pick out enough sharp clips to make a film. I won't have time over the weekend, so it's now or never.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:23 AM   #41
Trustee

Right, so I have nothing shot yet... but the new camera is here, even if it is a bit naked without all my goodies and I only have one SD card.

If all goes to plan, I'm going to climb a small mountain tomorrow, and then try to edit something quickly on Sunday.

...Although lazing around in the sun does seem very attractive too at the moment!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:20 AM   #42
Trustee

Blimey ! - Everyone seems to be last minute this round. Usually I'm right there too! However this time I'm edited and just about to voice the VO and do the sound.

I'm not gloating ;-) but it does feel nice for a change :-)

Marj - That sounds like something very worthy of your skills. Why do we insist of screwing this planet up. left, right and centre !
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:18 AM   #43
Trustee

An incredible foggy morning here in Iowa and what am I doing? Yeah that's right, I have to go in to work all day today and tomorrow.

Hopefully there's something to shoot later towards evening when I get home.

Man this bites! Been so buy at work doing another job that I haven't had time to really formulate my idea. Have some stuff shot but nothing solid. Now I have to work this weekend so it's going to be a mad dash to the finish line!
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:00 AM   #44
Trustee

Ow... ow.... and ow again.

A day climbing a mountain today (hottest day of the year so far) a journey back to my childhood... and I am sunburnt (despite the factor 30, hat etc.) battered and bruised (including a bash in the mouth from my tripod). Still, Rule #11 has applied throughout!

Now while my body tries to return to normal temperatures, I've got two days or so to pull this into something.

And, somehow, I am still smiling from the experience. I don't think us UWOL-ers can be classed as normal!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #45
Major Player

Sorry to hear about all the pain Mike.

Have my footage too . . . and a simple story. Now to pull it all together.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge