Into the shark tank at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Trustee

Into the shark tank

Well, I am sorry and disappointed with myself. I must enter the unfriendly waters of the shark tank. Between traveling and a total lack of imagination I must conclude that I am going to miss this entry. However, I will be watching all you true videographers and enjoying your productions. I must bid UWOL #18 a hardy farewell, and hope I can do better on the next one. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry to hear that, Bob. Hope the sharks are behaving well.
I was looking forward to see your film. See you next round.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Splash.

I didn't film this for UWOL, but I did film it during the time frame of #18.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Trustee

O.K. Ryan:

This is one fabulous way to jump in the shark tank, but explain to me why you didn't think this could be submitted? This is footage that is filled with intimate detail and it was shot during the UWOL 18 time period AND you submitted before the deadline .... so??????

Yes, one can argue that the emphasis was geared toward hot air balloons that are more human-oriented rather than wildlife oriented, but that is the chance you take and for the judge to decide, no? Perhaps you could edit it down to the 3-min limit with less emphasis on the hot air balloons and more on the amazing landscapes you were able to capture in breathtaking fashion?

How about this. Why not open your own UWOL 18 feedback thread as a not for judging entry and keep it as it is. That way we can all pile on as to the merit of this film and give critical feedback. This is NOT the way to swim with the sharks!

Bob's and Mike's way is the way to swim with the sharks this time. With all best intentions, they didn't have the time to make an entry. So, they swim with the sharks just long enough before we all pile on them again with love and compassion to inspire them for the next round. Bob is a legend with UWOL, a veteran... he can take the sharks with dignity, once! Mike is new and so covered in grace ;-)

So Ryan, put up your feedback thread and we'll turn a blind eye that it was submitted here in the shark tank! This is a beautiful film!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Farnes View Post
Splash.

I didn't film this for UWOL, but I did film it during the time frame of #18.
Aerial Perspective on Vimeo
Ryan:

Just spectacular and stirring. I have to agree with Cat, the footage is stunning. A couple of the shots were a bit washed out-- at least on my monitor, and should have been color corrected, but the whole thing was an amazing perspective of the details of our landscape from another point of view. I am also sucker for the music... which of course sounds like it is from a sound track to Gladiator, or another of those films... Nice images
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Trustee

Well, I think I'm going to throw myself in the tank. I need to do a VO for my entry and my wife is already asleep in our hotel room so I'm not wanting to wake her up.
Then I have compressing and uploading so I'd be cutting it close anyway as it's after 22:00 here.

Had a good idea and shot some good footage. So maybe I'll file this idea away for another day.
Lesson learned, don't try to do a challenge when you're on vacation unless it's a shooting vacation.
Old November 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Rayn,

I loved this and other than the couple flats shots prefer it to you uwol 18 entry.

You also gave me a great idea for getting ariel prairie footage that I look into next spring/summer!!!!

We have a baloon club 90 miles from me. It is going in to my must do list!!!!

thanks for sharing
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, Dale, if you go up to film, obviously use a tripod. If it is with a group of people, it might be hard to do, but if its a small group of 1-2 with the pilot, talk to them before you even take off about "holding still" at times.

Those baskets jiggle and sway and so everyone has to hold perfectly still for the shot to be smooth. I still used post stabilization on a lot of the shots.
Ryan Farnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm now envious of those of you who found time to make a video. I'll try to find a few minutes now and then to watch the results - I really liked Ryan's "non-entry" except for the music, but that's just me. And I know there isn't much except except the noise of the burner when you're up there, I just found the music a bit overpowering.

And did I achieve anything this round? Well, I now have a decent sound recorder, and a field monitor, though I can't yet attach the latter to the camera because it has the wrong connections. But I still have to get the firewire port on the Canon fixed.

Hope I don't have to swim to many more times - the water's getting cold!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge