O.K., How About Plan B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Trustee

O.K., How About Plan B

Hello UWOL 19 players!

It isn't fair to enforce a strict deadline onto all of you when we in turn do not adhere to our own requirements. Let's get this contest rolling.

Get your links up to your films on Vimeo (or any other hosting site) and let the feedback begin! If there is anyone who has not used Vimeo or other video hosting sites before and has questions on how to get set up, fire me an e-mail and I will do all I can to help you get set up.

Don't worry, if anyone will take some flack for stepping over a courtesy rule it will be me. Like Meryem (the founder of this forum) has said in the past, rules are meant to be broken once in awhile!

All the best to everyone!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Break the rules, and let's follow #11.

Let the fun begin! :)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: O.K., How About Plan B

Well, my bad....

Looks like Mat had the films up all along.

Here's the link to the UWOL film vault of your uploaded films:

The UWOL Challenge - Wildlife & Outdoor based film competition

Cheers!

Cat
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Cat, “Plan B, Rule11” is my new pet phrase! Actually, I already have a standing “Plan B”. For me it is always-”If the animal I came to record doesn’t show up, record whatever does”.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Trustee

Oooh, I like it it! "Plan B, Rule 11".... That would be a nice UWOL theme choice, I think! ;-).

We miss you this time around, Mike. It's much better when you are on dry land and filming instead of swimming with the sharks. How's the health coming along?

Cat
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Catherine. It’s terribly frustrating being sidelined this time, especially with such fine videos and some new players. I’m feeling much better but my aerobic capacity is still quite diminished. I managed to get out a bit today and shot a little time lapse. Here is a very rough cut. The motorized slider is set at 60 degrees and 5 second interval.
http://www.hotspot-online.net/Video/tl1.mp4
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Trustee

Cool Mike:

I just got a GoPro and am excited to incorporate time laps into my videos as well! I don't have a slider or a motorized one for that matter. Motorization is the way to go though. I tried a slider once filming a segment for my long form movie with Meryem, but it was hand-held, not motorized. I couldn't believe how tough it was to get an even smooth movement off of the thing! I was able to use a short stint in my segment.

starting at ~ 1:16 - 1:30. Kind of rough, I know.

Cat
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8
Trustee

Cat,

If there's any play at all in your sliders sled then you need to push down on it with your hand to relive the pressure on the slider and move the whole assembly then by the sled itself. Otherwise your get what's called striction ( Sticky Friction ) The River was all done with a plain Jane slider.
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Trustee

Ah, Kevin:

How are you healing friend? I've been thinking about you!

I know there is wisdom in what you say, and I'm just going to have to go out and buy a plain Jane slider for myself. Trying it out that first time is one of the benefits of shooting a scene with Meryem... it was she that pushed me to do something new with her equipment.

Time laps and sliders are the focus of my attention over the next couple of months. I really desire to get good at these and incorporate them regularly into my films. So much to do, so little time!

Thanks for the input.

Cat
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Playing a flute to the meadow and mountains is a wonderful idea. I see why you call it a doxology. I'm not the only one around here who is using black and white imagery! The second angle of Jill's face is very effective. Your audio is exactly perfect. You don't usually get such crisp sound online. Am I missing something in this slider business? The shots look like they are all stationary.

By the way, is the little stream in the beginning located just inside the Park, at the Estes Park entrance?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Major Player

One thing I’ve found helps tremendously when my slider sticks, especially when I am using it manually, is a little spray silicone lubricant.
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siegel View Post
Am I missing something in this slider business? The shots look like they are all stationary.

By the way, is the little stream in the beginning located just inside the Park, at the Estes Park entrance?
LOL, my first attempt at a manual slide and it is really subtle! The only way you can actually tell is comparatively. At about 1:24 - 1:29 Jill gets closer to her "angel" who is stationary. No worries, it was about a 30 sec test at something new!

The stream is the headwaters of the Big Thompson River in Moraine Park. It's not too far from one of the entrances to the Park.

Thanks for the tips and the dialog guys!

Cat
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Major Player

Where do you get one of these sliders? Are they lightweight and easy to carry around? I've never used one, but if your manual motion is jerky, a trick I use to get smooth pans on a tripod is to hook a rubberband around the tripod handle and pull on it. It evens out your pulling force.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:47 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Sliders

Steve,

This is the one I've got: indiSYSTEM - indiSLIDERpro 24" (mines the 36") but there are numerous manufacturers out there now. Kessler makes one that is pretty popular, not sure how portable it is. Mine is portable enough, but I don't think I'll be taking it on any overnight backpacking trips. All together it probably weighs 15-20 lbs. and I need my big tripod to mount it on or at least a couple sandbags to level it right on the ground.

The 'ol rubberband trick is definitely what I use for panning on a tripod, but with the slider it can be tough because the track may have sections that are slicker than others. This leads to a jumpiness in your move, although I have had decent results with bungee cords. I have found that steady downward pressure and utilizing the drag to control the rate/speed works best. As Mike mentioned too, I use silicon spray on the tracks to lube them up. However, I almost always do several takes before I am satisfied I got smooth motion. It takes a lot of practice and patience.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge