DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of wonders and woe - UWOL #21 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/499109-tales-wonders-woe-uwol-21-a.html)

Mike Sims August 30th, 2011 02:50 PM

Re: Tales of wonders and woe - UWOL #21

With a couple of false starts I managed to upload to the new DVInfo-UWOL Vimeo account. Pretty easy- even for a cranky old curmudgeon like me! Mine seems to play OK, although the HD version stutters a bit on my slow internet machine.

Good-luck everyone!

Simon Wood August 30th, 2011 02:54 PM

OK, I have uploaded mine. I had to keep it at 720p due to a slow internet connection (it was saved as a MOV file which is not as compressed as MP4). Its a little washed out and a little soft, but it should do the trick. I'm hoping my new Apple set-up that I will be receiving in September will be more conducive to online delivery (I hear FCPX has a Vimeo export 'button' - that should be sweet for this type of work!).

I'll keep the video password locked until the 1st? I noticed a few others were uploading at the same time as me - best of luck to you all!

Mike Sims August 30th, 2011 03:34 PM

Here’s a question for all you experienced hands at Vimeo. Is it possible to choose the Poster Frame or does Vimeo always choose it? I’m not really crazy about the one Vimeo chose. I looked around for a way to do it but couldn’t find it. Perhaps it is called something else? (I just say “Poster Frame” because that’s what Encore calls the frame displayed as a thumbnail in the link to a video.)

Robert Martens August 30th, 2011 03:41 PM

With Vimeo Pro using the same upload guidelines as the regular service so many people are familiar with, this new setup should dramatically simplify things for everyone; I'm not a UWOL participant, but this development is appreciated nonetheless! I'm constantly awed by the lengths to which Chris goes to accommodate his membership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1678713)
... a MOV file which is not as compressed as MP4). Its a little washed out and a little soft, but it should do the trick.

For reference, both of those, like AVI, MKV, WMV, 3GP and so on, are only container formats, containers being just what they sound like: storage bins for video, audio, and perhaps timecode, subtitles, and a variety of other things. There's no connection between the container and how compressed the contents are, beyond what codecs you can manage to stuff inside.

As for "washed out", that's typical of Quicktime, which is notorious for--among other things--its mishandling of PC versus TV levels in H.264 (PC and TV levels are 0-255 and 16-235, respectively, though strictly speaking it's only TV luma that goes to 235, TV chroma going instead to 240). The video may well be perfectly fine, and look correct when decoded and displayed by your viewers' systems.

Geir Inge August 30th, 2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1678707)
I can't imagine what the difference would be! In checking the settings on the Pro account I didn't see any way to change it.

If reuploading doesn't work, Geir, try rendering it again using the compression guidelines Mike Sims posted from the Vimeo site: Compression guidelines on Vimeo. The only thing I can see that might cause aspect problems would be the square pixel setting. But why your video looks fine on your Plus player and not Pro is beyond me.

Hi Lorinda.
Then I have uploaded my video again, and now it works fine.
What I did, was to upload a wmv file, since the mp4 didn't work.
Never experienced this before in vimeo, maybe it has to do with the settings and how I render my file from Vegas?

OK, after all - it's a challenge, isn't it :)
Best of luck everyone.

Simon Wood August 30th, 2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1678721)
Here’s a question for all you experienced hands at Vimeo. Is it possible to choose the Poster Frame or does Vimeo always choose it? I’m not really crazy about the one Vimeo chose. I looked around for a way to do it but couldn’t find it. Perhaps it is called something else? (I just say “Poster Frame” because that’s what Encore calls the frame displayed as a thumbnail in the link to a video.)

Go to your video page. On the top right there should be some icons - click "settings" (icon looks like a cog). A list will open on the left side; click on "thumbnails" and you will see a choice of images. You can also upload your own jpg or png if you prefer.

Mike Sims August 30th, 2011 04:25 PM

Got it! Did it. Thanks Simon!

Rob Evans August 31st, 2011 04:11 AM

Well, i actually managed to scrape something together just in time :-)

Lorinda Norton August 31st, 2011 09:54 AM

Yay, Rob!

We're down to the final hours. Already looking at some great works ready for rollout tomorrow. Hoping that some of you who have been quiet are just busy putting the finishing touches on your videos!

Bill Thesken August 31st, 2011 02:13 PM

I wonder if I'll finish and woe if I don't. I need to record the voice over this afternoon and fit it to the edit.

Bob Safay August 31st, 2011 05:55 PM

May the force be with ya'll

Simon Wood September 1st, 2011 02:23 AM

Oops. I deleted my original vimeo file which was linked into my "unloved thread" - but I just saw that thread has been locked (so its not possible to view the video from it). Can my thread be unlocked to link in the video (or deleted so I start a new one)?

My video is password unlocked now on the UWOL vimeo account.

Lorinda Norton September 1st, 2011 02:26 AM

There you go, Simon...open. :)

The only reason for locking them is so that we don't start offering feedback until all the videos are "officially" posted. I'm still waiting on one or I would post them all now.

Simon Wood September 1st, 2011 02:40 AM

Great. I added the link. Lock away!

Markus Nord September 1st, 2011 07:10 AM

Lorinda
is it something I need to do, or do you make all videos online (today)?

Markus Nord September 1st, 2011 07:32 AM

I fixed it myself..

Mike Sims September 1st, 2011 09:26 AM

Well I’ve screwed up again. I left the 21 out of UWOL 21 in the title of my feedback thread. Could one of you bright Moderators please rescue me? It doesn’t seem to be an editable field on my end. (Jeez, he can make a fire with sticks but can’t seem to properly type a two digit numeral…)

Lorinda Norton September 1st, 2011 09:36 AM

LOL. Done! You really made that fire? I'm impressed!

Simon Wood September 1st, 2011 10:57 AM

;)

And there he was saying the naked guy with the kangaroo skin was his 'voice-over guy'....

;)