The WINNERS! UWOL #21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 5th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Wrangler

The WINNERS! UWOL #21

What a fun round for UWOL 21, with eight interesting, entertaining and educational videos! You guys should all be proud of your work, because each one was a winning effort.

Big thank you’s go out to Meryem Ersoz, founder and the heart of the UWOL Challenge, for her vision plus her guidance in this transitional round; and also to Chris Hurd, not only for giving the UWOL Challenge a home here on DV Info Net, but for sponsoring the new home for our videos on Vimeo Pro. Folks from all over the world enjoy watching UWOL entries--all made possible by Meryem and Chris.

Votes are in and we have a winner! Drum roll, please…

Runner Up: A tie!

Geir Inge B. Brekke for “Abandoned”
Mike Sims for “Here Be Dragons”

Well done, Mike and Geir Inge!

Winner and Champion of UWOL 21:

Simon Wood for “unloved”

Congratulations, Simon! Your first UWOL entry and you take home top honors with a top-notch production. We thoroughly enjoyed your glimpse into the interaction of humans with a segment of the "Birds, Fish, Reptiles and Amphibians" of Uganda. Great job!

That’s a wrap for UWOL 21. Keep those cameras rolling and be watching right here for the DVC/UWOL Charity Challenge in December!
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: The WINNERS! UWOL #21

For anyone who has not had the opportunity to view all eight of the great films this round:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-cha...s-viewing.html
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Congratulations Simon! Good show on your first go. Congratulations Geir Inge and all who finished a video this round. Thank-you Lorinda, Meryem, Kevin, Mat and Chris Hurd. Special thanks to Catherine for getting us here in one piece. I won’t be around in December, so I hope to see you all again next spring.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Way to go Simon! That was a top notch production, and I'm going to take a few more looks at it and try to use some of your techniques. Those narrators should be very proud also, natural talent.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Congratulations Simon, way to go on your first uwol entry.
I will also give my thanks to the other competers, what a great bunch of people you are.
Also want to give my thanks to our Ladies Lorinda and Meryem and to Chris for hosting.
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Congratulations, Simon!
A job Well done!
Good job everyone... And thanks to everyone that make tihs happen.
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Congratulations, Simon! A well deserved winner.
Congratulations to Mike and Geir Inge.

Tanks a lot to Lorinda, Meryem and Chris.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks to everyone involved (both the participants and the organizers)! This means a lot to me; especially considering the votes came from other documentarians!

All of the documentaries on display during UWOL 21 were fantastic; and it was fascinating to see the different interpretations everyone had. I have certainly learned a good deal from you all.

I had not filmed anything for many months before I joined UWOL 21; but this competition reminded me why I enjoy filming so much. Through this project I have certainly met a variety of interesting characters (both here in Uganda as featured in the film, and your good-selves through DVINFO).

I have been going through the UWOL video archive slowly-but-surely over the last week , and it truly is an amazing collection of techniques, stories and breathtaking imagery from all over the world; so I am honored to add Uganda to the list of countries featured in that valuable resource .

Lastly; I am going to bring my laptop around to the four interviewees to show them the finished film this week (as they have not yet seen it) – I am sure they will be as thrilled as I was to learn that their stories have entertained people from the far corners of the globe!

See you in December for the Charity Challenge!

;)
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Congratulations to Simon, Gier and Mike on their success.

Although I have been away and not been able to comment on on the entries, I have now managed to to watch them all, so well done to all.

Than you Lorinda for taking over the running of the competition.

All things being equal I will be up for the next one.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Trustee

Congragulations to you guys. All excellant videos. You should be proud. You eached touched on an environmental issue and did a very professional job at teling your story. Also, congradulations to everyone that completed the challenge. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #11
Major Player

Congrats Simon, i was totally wowed by your offering - and so glad to hear this was something of a comeback for you to filming - I must admit it was pretty much the same for me - it's not all that easy with young ones around huh?
Well done on runner up spots Geir Inge and Mike - i should have put money on my predictions :-)

Cheers!
Rob
Rob Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Congrats to Simon, and to Mike and Geir, and to everyone else who participated in this round. Well done!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge