Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 14th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sims View Post
I had a lot of fun trying a technique I’ve not done before- the “reverse UWOL shot”. It drew a crowd. They all politely clapped when I started breaking down the rig. (No, I did not take a bow.)
What's the 'reverse UWOL shot? LOWU shot? :) - Sounds interesting - please explain?

Mick - nice footage and clear sound.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Marj, that’s quite close! ;) Actually it’s OLUW (starts OL ends UW). I hope it will be interesting but since it is the first time I’ve tried it may just be a flop. It’s really just B-roll anyway. I’m scheduled to begin principal photography tomorrow.

With this theme I imagine you may be putting your macro station, which you spoke of earlier, to some good use. I have been thinking lately of setting up something like that so any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated. What lights, camera, lens are you using presently? Are the lights attached to the Lazy-Susan?
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #18
Major Player

Sounds horribly like you took a cold-water dip!

I wasn't going to use my 'macro station' this time - have a couple of ideas that don't need that - but then my niece brought me something really interesting that she found in her garden that I may just use. Not sure though.

Mike we swopped out the lazy susan for a bicycle wheel hub that has a machined ball race. It runs very smoothly now.

We made a couple of light boxes using energy saving bulbs - cost a fraction of the real thing but works well except that at times things happen so quickly with insects that I I have been known to forget to reset the white balance!!! They are on stands but can be moved onto the turntable if need be. I have never done that though. It was quite a while back that we put them together. I have subsequently invested in some small SIMA lights too.

Oh yes - I have one of those instant pop-up shower tents that I use - the inside is almost reflective silver grey. Serves well for a sound booth when draped with fleece blankets - cuts out most incidental sound. Also makes a good hide! Every time I use it I think of Bryce Comer's funny story - struggling to pack up his pop-up hide while having a wildlife audience looking on! :)
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #19
Trustee

Hello uwolers.

I have been filming for two days, a few minutes each day.
Some real bad weather on our side of the world and some scenes had to be filmed from inside the car.
Have an idea in mind, but I am not sure how to put together the story. Maybe something lyrical?
Leave you some pictures from the set.

Hope all is well with everyone.
Geir Inge
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22-riste-i-storm1.jpg   Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22-ristesundsanden.jpg  

Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22-steinkobbe3.jpg   Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22-nupatinden-og-ut-mot-havet-1.jpg  

Last edited by Geir Inge; March 15th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Those are gorgeous flowers, what are they!!!!

Geir,

After warmest winter ever, this spring is carrying on!! snow almost gone, it was +14/60, amazzing to be sure!!! No grouse on the leks yet though.

I have been shootingl ittle creatures everyone loves, I am hoping I can get the rest of the footage to actually make a story, or least bit of a documentary.

If weather is good tomarrow morning |I will make another effort to get footage.

Rule 11 rules!

looking forward to the posts.
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #21
Major Player

Epic photos Geir!
I have been time lapse filming one of the strangest critters on the planet.
Never would of thought of studying it in a million years if not for UWOL.
Took the camera to a tide pool with an open mind, not knowing what to film, but just needing to get out there, looked around a bit, picked a species and got to it. Funny how you can walk by little creatures for years without giving them a second thought, but if you really get down for a close look... what an amazing planet full of life.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:31 AM   #22
Major Player

Hi Dale,

The flowers are crocus, late winter early spring flowering here in the uk. Saffron comes the crocus sativus.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Thesken View Post
Epic photos Geir!
I have been time lapse filming one of the strangest critters on the planet.
Never would of thought of studying it in a million years if not for UWOL.
Took the camera to a tide pool with an open mind, not knowing what to film, but just needing to get out there, looked around a bit, picked a species and got to it. Funny how you can walk by little creatures for years without giving them a second thought, but if you really get down for a close look... what an amazing planet full of life.
Bill - you echo my experience and sentiments exactly - most of the time we walk past some of the most fascinating things on this planet earth without so much as a second glance. I had my eyes opened when studying plants for my long-form film. I never ever thought I would film plants!! However when it is important to verify facts and you are forced to start reading you discover just what you don't know and can only stand back in amazement. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Beautiful photos from Norway as usual Geir!

Mike: I wasn't sure if I should put this here or simply edit my older post but as that is old news now better add it here: I forgot to mention that I don't use the pop-up shower tent every time I do macro work, but I set it up if I know I am going to be dealing with flying insects or insects that move fast. If you don't contain them then they can disappear very quickly. You can use one of those umbrella food nets with a hole in it for your lens but that doesn't work when using a turntable unless you can make a plan to keep the net and turn table separate but sealed.
Insects also tend to gravitate towards the lights. Fortunately these days we have cool lights so they don't get fried. To settle an insect I turn off the lights before taking them out of the container. Where possible I have my camera and settings prepared before letting them out because often you don't have long before they are up and off. It helps to know what they eat - holds them a while longer.
Old March 19th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #24
Inner Circle

What a wonderful world! :)
I managed to get an impressive 5 seconds worth of useful footage of some small living creature yesterday!
(It isn't supposed to be easy, is it)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #25
Major Player

Hi everyone... I got an idea and I think it may turn out ok... I have writen a script, is it any one that could help with reading it and maybe put some change in it if my wordings is a bit wrong?
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #26
Wrangler

I'll help if you don't come up with another solution, Markus.
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #27
Major Player

Wow! thanks everyone for sending me all the email... and thans Lorinda, you did a super job last time... so I let you go for this time ;)

I love our group!
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Major Player

“I love our group!“ Agreed! The real “prize” around here is the privilege of associating with such a talented group. The best thing is that everyone that participates wins the prize.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:27 PM   #29
Major Player

Woe-
I hiked to the tide pool with a plan to film my creature from the underside to see how it moves itself.
I have a lot of footage from above, but we need to see it from below.
I rigged a super secret, high tech contraption to catch the action.
Unfortunately the tide was high and the waves were surging. Not wanting to admit defeat and hike back with zero footage, I filled my invention with water and weighed it down with rocks to keep it from moving. A sudden rush of waves swept through, the contraption was swept away and I almost lost the camera. Luckily I'm still quick on my feet and tackled it before it could get away.
I'll try again tomorrow at a 'low tide'.
Here's a picture of the rig, $1.99 clear plastic box, and some duck tape.....Footage hopefully to follow with my entry.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL22-dscn0018.jpg  
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM   #30
Wrangler

I'm sorry, Bill, but the story is pretty funny. I'm picturing the whole thing now and still chuckling to myself--only because you saved the camera, of course. Best of luck at low tide!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge