UWOL23 Decendants of Gorillas in the Mist. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 7th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL23 Decendants of Gorillas in the Mist.

Almost all tourists who visit New Zealand come to Rotorua to see the geothermal activity. For Rotorua, where I live sits astride two tectonic plates. The Pacific plate and Australian plate. Here the earth's crust is thin allowing it's molten interior to surface. Since early colonisation by European settlers in the eighteen hundreds have visited Rotorua to 'take the waters' at the Great Southern Spa.

Geothermal energy is used in the generation of electricity for the national grid and in the production of paper at paper mills is just two examples of how we have adapted this resource. But that's another story.

In this video we leave the tourist trail of geysers, calderas, hot silicone terraces and active volcano to see what it like living on the floor of a collapsed crater which is still active. Earth tremours are common, but most go unnoticed by local residents. We visit Otumutu within 1km of the Rotorua central business district.

I'm sorry my Manfrotto tripod collapsed, so the shoot was hand held.
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL23 Decendants of Gorillas in the Mist.

Here is the link
UWOL 23
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Owen: Great documentary feel and look. Geothermal forces are certainly one of the great forces of nature. Nice job !!
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #4
Trustee

This was great to watch, Owen!

What a place to live, on top of a vulcano, still alive! But I believe the electricity and gas for warm up and cooking are at a minimum at no cost :)

You made a great edited and filmed video. And the narrating by your wife? was easy to follow and understand for a foreigner.
Maybe you could have put some ambient sound into the piece to enhance the forces of the warm steam and bubbles, but that is minor.
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Major Player

Owen, this was a fascinating glimpse of a totally different way of life. I like how you went from the general to the specific of how this force of nature influences people's lives. The narration was very professional. I really enjoyed watching it.
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #6
Major Player

This is a great example of why these UWOL challenges are worthwhile. A glimpse into
the daily life in a part of the world that I never thought existed. Holy cow I can't imagine living
on top of a geyser, but they seem to manage quite well. I did not notice any camera shaking,
I was focused on the scenes and the color, but I could probably go back with a fine tooth comb and find
the shakes. I'll get the kids to watch it as this is like a discovery channel film.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #7
Major Player

Interesting story this.

When I read the title my stomach dropped out as I figured someone had slipped into my 'UWOL territory' (Uganda) and filmed a story about the great apes.....! So I was relieved (and pleasantly surprised) to see that this was not the case.

Its a crazy place that you live in, and very alien to me. I love the fact that people can boil their food by dunking them in a hole in the garden! If I was filming that story I'm sure I would have based it around a fondue party or something!

I have to say I was surprised when the story moved to the church (I began to think maybe the documentary was moving on to the history of the town for a second or two), but then the weird graves snapped it back to the theme. Thats freaky; I'm not sure I even want to ask why the people can't be buried underground....

In my limited experiences of geothermal areas I often found there to be unpleasant sulphur smells; just wondering if that is an issue in the town?

Great story; you really had a good example of an active force of nature and modern society living side by side.
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Owen
Well I did notice some of the hand held shots but no big deal. I'm amazed at the fact that people live there and how they use it to their advantage. You have made a really interesting video and I also thought the narration was well done. I have to agree with Bill this is what make the UWOL Challenge interesting.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Owen,

Amazing to see the hot steam coming up from the ground right next to the houses.
Very nice film you made! I enjoyed watching.

But living in a crater of an active volcano? Scary.

I look forward to your next films!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Howdy Owen. Seems like this round’s theme found you in just the right spot at the right time. What a great place to live! You have a well crafted video, there’s just one thing I had a problem with. The title- shouldn’t that be “Cousins of…”?
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #11
Major Player

Giday All,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I appreciate it. Isn't water marvelous. We can't do with out it and most of us were attracted to it to show the force of nature.

Mike: You are correct. 'Cousins of...' would have been far better.

Trond: Yes it is amazing seeing steam rising so close to houses. It always amazes me how their young children don't fall into the boiling water.

Gordon: I've passed your appreciation onto Margaret. She says "Thank you". This is my second entry. I really enjoy seeing all the interesting places the others live in.

Simon. Ha ha. No! I didn't sneak onto your patch. Yes you are correct there is a smell of sulphur. Some times quite pungent. It smells similar to rotten eggs. :)

Bill: Thank you. Hope your kids enjoyed it.

Ruth: Thank you. Pleased you enjoyed it and I'm passing your favourable comment onto Margaret.

Per. Thank you. yes I agree Margaret did a great job. There should have been some ambient sound there. Perhaps I need to take more care and make it audible.

Chris. Yes geothermal is remarkable and is a reminder of the forces within our earth. On purpose I kept away from the tourist areas to show something a little out of the ordinary.

Thank you all for watching.

I'm sorry I have been slow in answering. Margaret and I are spending a week at our daughters and son-in-laws. My daughters computers audio packed up. Anyway I'm finally here.

I look forward to meeting you all again on the next UWOL.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #12
Wrangler

Hi Owen!

This was a highly interesting and educational piece. You and Margaret certainly packed a lot into a short amount of time! What a great idea, getting away from what the tourists see (and videotape/photograph) and into the residential area to show everyday life there.

Video was fine--good thing you have your trusty, HEAVY XL2 when the tripod collapses. Margaret did a wonderful job on the narration. But my biggest compliment is for your writing--comprehensive, smart, and at the end, poetic. Wonderful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge