DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/510452-tales-wonders-woes-uwol-24-a.html)

Trond Saetre September 4th, 2012 10:12 PM

Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24

You know the drill, guys and girls.
The good, the bad and everything in between about your progress with uwol 24.
Sharing is gold :)

Remember to follow rule 11 at all times!

Mike Sims September 7th, 2012 12:27 PM

Re: Tales of Wonders and Woes - UWOL 24

Well, I have an idea I like and a rough script. Now it’s a matter of figuring out whether or not I’ll be able to shoot this thing. (A word of free advice- Don’t ever agree to be an expert witness in a trial. You might as well just paint a target on your back and throw your schedule in the trash.) I guess I’d better start thinking about a Plan B, just in case.

I hope all of you are doing well. Let’s hear from you folks!

Trond Saetre September 8th, 2012 07:52 AM

I had an idea, and went out today to shoot... Just to find out there was a triathlon for kids on that location. The start/finish line and a lot of comments from their speaker system 50 meters from where I was supposed to have my camera was no good.
Hopefully I get an opportunity for another attempt, or else... over to plan B, whatever that might be.

Lorinda Norton September 9th, 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sims (Post 1751879)
Well, I have an idea I like and a rough script. Now it’s a matter of figuring out whether or not I’ll be able to shoot this thing. (A word of free advice- Don’t ever agree to be an expert witness in a trial. You might as well just paint a target on your back and throw your schedule in the trash.) I guess I’d better start thinking about a Plan B, just in case.

LOL - Well, since I am not an expert in anything this isn't a concern. :) Hoping you get to shoot Plan A!

Mike Sims September 10th, 2012 07:27 AM

I think everyone is an expert. We all just have varying levels of expertise in various matters. I have had to reluctantly abandon Plan A. I was hoping to leave this morning on the nine hour drive to my location and spend this week there but another one of these “let’s get together and hold hands and waste time” meetings has cropped up and ruined that idea. Additionally it is getting harder for me to travel as my father’s Parkinson’s progresses because before I leave I have to find someone willing to assume my role as caregiver. That means more than one person’s schedule is involved in any change. As Trond said-”over to plan B, whatever that might be”. I keep telling myself that there is just as good a story right here under my nose but thus far I haven’t found it. For UC24 I am back at square one. I will likely shoot the original story at some point because I really like it, I have done the research, written a script, put together a shot list etc.- possibly for a future Challenge?

This thread sure has been quiet this round. I wonder if everyone is busy watching the DVC videos or just avoiding any interactions.

Markus Nord September 10th, 2012 02:08 PM

I was out shooting today... Got a few minute I can edit... Now I'lll write a VO and I'll also do an interview of my self for this film. It will be a film about what I'm doing in my "day job", and how I work with school kids.

Trond Saetre September 11th, 2012 04:25 AM

Mike, sad to hear about your dad.
Hope we both come up with a plan B. Still plenty time until deadline. (and who knows, maybe it will stop raining too. Must be optimistic, right)
Been out scouting locations for a possibly plan B, while the rain has been pouring down. Fun!

Kevin Railsback September 11th, 2012 05:24 AM

I have an idea. No idea though on how to convert it into a story or how to convey that story with the resources I have or the time I have left.
Really just need to have some uninterrupted time to focus on the idea and see if I can piece something together.

Mark Hartopp September 13th, 2012 06:55 AM

Ho Hell. what am I doing. Just signed up. Got the idea. The age old problem of finding actors and crew to help that will turn up. Its going to be fun.

Lorinda Norton September 13th, 2012 08:46 AM

Glad you're here, Mark! Looking forward to another entry from you in less than a month! :)

Bob Thieda September 13th, 2012 09:31 AM

Well I got a glimmer of an idea last week...but I just found out I won't have this weekend, which only leaves me next weekend to get to my location...(wedding the following weekend and a cycle trip the weekend after)

So were do I find this elusive plan B?

And, using a GH2 with old Canon primes is way different than using an HMC-150... ;)

Trond Saetre September 13th, 2012 12:15 PM

Rain, rain, and tons of more rain. I think the weather gods must be doing some jokes, giving us all this water.
Maybe I should film how my camera interact with the wet element? Probably the answer would be "not good".

Good luck everyone!
Film is FUN! :)

Per Johan Naesje September 15th, 2012 10:34 AM

Well, half of the month is gone and to be true I have no idea of what to shoot! Been quite busy and will still have to do some work until the beginning of next weekend. Then I have some days off.

But I must get some ideas what and how to shoot. Right now my head is empty %)

Lorinda Norton September 15th, 2012 11:00 AM

Hang in there, Per Johan! You will find inspiration!

Here I thought this theme was so wide open it would be one that every player would be able to complete in the month-long timeframe. But sometimes it's harder to take such a broad word and think of a compelling story using the interaction between earth and sky, man and his surroundings, animals with other animals or their habitat--just to name a few obvious applications.

Hoping those of you who have come up empty so far will be able to hit upon an idea soon and find the time/favorable conditions, to shoot it! Love to see 100% completion this round!!

Kevin Railsback September 15th, 2012 11:20 AM

Refining my idea a bit more. A few more pieces are starting to take shape. Hopefully I'll have time to film everything!

Bill Thesken September 18th, 2012 01:23 PM

The very minute the theme was announced I knew what I would film, however 16 days have gone by and I haven't gotten a single scrap of footage. That will change today. The only big question I have is whether to let the action speak for itself, or explain what is happening since there is physical science at work. It may have more impact and be more of a challenge to devise a way to tell the story without words, though it will be much harder and take more time., and if I mess up people will be scratching their heads thinking ' what?..'

Lorinda Norton September 18th, 2012 01:46 PM

How intriguing! That's a tough one but you'll figure it out, Bill. Maybe if you have time to let someone see a rough cut they can tell you if they get it or not. Good luck!

Per Johan Naesje September 20th, 2012 09:26 AM

Well, at last I got an idea :) Will start to shoot this weekend. Luckily I have some days off next week, so I should have enough days to get what I need.

Great that some of the "old timers" are back in business, hopefully we got an exciting round with lots of films!

Vegard Paulsen September 20th, 2012 12:21 PM

Hello everybody. I signed up on the competition yesterday and i am so lucky these days. Having alot of tools availiable is awesome. Just shot some 1500 fps 1080p test shots at work on tuesday. If i had that camera availiable and the opertunity and the time for a weekend shoot with that i bet it would have been a cool theme for the competition.

But thats not going to happen. I am the "best man" for a friend this weekend so no weekend shots, and the camera is not availiable.

Is it allowed for one person to join up with another for a UWOL competition?
I was thinking time, and deadline so close, maybe that could be the solution?

Trond Saetre September 20th, 2012 12:26 PM

Vegard, there are no rules against cooperation with others. Go for it.
To bad that camera isn't available for you. Would be really cool to see some of those shots.
Good to have you back with us!

Lorinda Norton September 20th, 2012 12:27 PM

You bet, Vegard. Sounds like fun!!! :)

Vegard Paulsen September 20th, 2012 12:28 PM

Yeah! To bad. Im installing new firmware on the Phantom as we speak. Maybe i can sneak in a shot now. hehe

Vegard Paulsen September 20th, 2012 12:57 PM

Anybody located in Oslo, Norway or nearby next week ready for a collaboration? Ill supply the cameras ;)

Vegard Paulsen September 20th, 2012 01:22 PM

I also have a nice idea for a movie.

Trond Saetre September 22nd, 2012 08:21 AM

Yay, at least I have filmed something. And I can see the sunshine for a change. Been a while since last time.
Hopefully I got enough footage to build the story I want.
At least I'm staying away from the dreadful shark tank this round.

Mike Sims September 23rd, 2012 10:56 AM

I was finally able to shoot some this morning. I haven’t reviewed yet, but some shots looked good in camera. I’m pretty sleep deprived right now so I hope I wasn’t just fooling myself. I used my new LED ring light to shoot some macro. It looks like it will be quite useful. I’m not sure I can use any of this footage to tell a theme related story so I may end up just putting up 30 seconds with music to avoid the sharks. I hope everyone else is fairing better. I’m glad to see that Trond finally got some dry weather and that Dale, Vegard and Steve got in this round. Probably like most, I’m also waiting to see what Kevin’s grand idea is. Good-luck all!

Trond Saetre September 24th, 2012 11:40 AM

It's a wrap!
(Well, at least as much as time, work and weather permitted)
It's a "staying away from the sharks" entry, haha. But I did have fun at all times.

Chris Barcellos September 24th, 2012 12:23 PM

Just haven't gotten any inspiration on this one yet. May end up not submit anything.

Simon Wood September 24th, 2012 12:41 PM

Yeah, me too. Been pretty busy this last month and I'm worn out...

...splash...

Mike Sims September 28th, 2012 08:39 AM

I finally came up with a “Plan B” idea that is more of a story (if only just) than just putting up some footage to avoid the sharks (if only just). I think the deadline is Tuesday so I’m going to give it a try. Fingers crossed.

Lorinda Norton September 28th, 2012 10:14 AM

Plan B will be great. Hoping it comes together for you, Mike!

Okay, everyone, you have until 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 2 to get the link to your entry emailed to uwol@dvinfo.net. Looking forward to your interpretations of "interaction!"

Markus Nord September 28th, 2012 01:22 PM

Are we uploading to our own Vimeo site or?

Lorinda Norton September 28th, 2012 03:02 PM

Check out rule #7 for all the details, Markus, and then shoot me an email! :)

Markus Nord September 28th, 2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton (Post 1755764)
Check out rule #7 for all the details, Markus, and then shoot me an email! :)

Am I missing something..?!? Do I read the rules right when I'm suppose to get an email with the upload info (password) and then send you an email with the link to my film... I have not got any upload info on email and I have not change my email in the last 6 years.... I feel a bit stupid...? :S

Mike Sims September 28th, 2012 05:15 PM

No worries, Markus. The new system is a bit confusing until you get used to it. Send Lorinda an e-mail at uwol@dvinfo.net to confirm that she has your address and to alert her that you are ready for the upload information. She will send you the user name and password for the UWOL Vimeo account for this round. Use that information to log into Vimeo and upload your video. Make it a Private video until it is time for the feedback threads. Send Lorinda another e-mail when done with the name of your video- you can also send a link to your video’s Vimeo page. This will make it easier for her to make the list of finished videos and make sure your name goes with the right video.

Lorinda Norton September 28th, 2012 06:39 PM

Thanks, Mike! You did a much better job of explaining than I would have. :)

Geir Inge September 29th, 2012 07:26 AM

OK, I have been working with an idea of interaction and I think it's not an easy task, if you ask me.
I'm not sure I'll manage to complete this round, but I'll do what I can to make something ready within the timelimit. It's not that we haven't had enough time this round, just me having a too busy "everyday" at the moment ;) anybody else out there :o)
OK, I have been stuck to my original idea (plan A) and today I got permission to use a clip of an old friend of mine - thank you PJ :)
I always struggle with my manus because norwegian is my first language. So I think the biggest challenge for me is to write and speak english. Of course there are challenges due to my technical skills, but thats the reason I joined DVINFONET and UWOL - to learn and improve.
My clips are gathered on the timeline, the hard part is as I mentioned - the narration.
I am using VegasPro and just downloaded the new 12 version.
This short will be the first to edit in the new version - puh, please all you nasty bugs, don't show up on my computer.
All the best to you Uwolers.
Geir Inge

Markus Nord September 30th, 2012 05:32 AM

I got my film finished and uploaded... I'll try to make work a bit in the sound, I recorded it a bit hot and trying to get rid of the small distortion... any ideas? sound filter?

/Markus

Mike Sims September 30th, 2012 10:51 AM

If the recording level was too high the distortion may be from high frequency clipping. Try using a multiband graphic equalizer to reinforce the highs you do have (turn the amplitude down a bit first). It might help, but if it is a human voice and the clip is in between two “normal” sounding clips it will be noticeable. If so, try some psychology. Use an ambiance filter, large room filter or just add a very small amount of reverb. The idea is to make the listener’s mind think “This was recorded in a different place” so that any differences will seem more acceptable.

Simon Wood September 30th, 2012 12:03 PM

Audacity is a good free audio tools program; worth a look.