UWOL #24 - Trade Wind Clouds & Islands - Bill Thesken at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL #24 - Trade Wind Clouds & Islands - Bill Thesken

I learned some new tricks with this challenge, and got some really good footage, learned some new techniques with framing and using natural lighting. The GH2 makes you work a little harder since you have to set up the f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO, but the effect looks great with the right setting. The polarizing filter is something I never really used before, and it gives a nice natural color. These cumulus clouds are a regular sight where I live, and it's interesting to see them in action, interaction with the mountains.

Filmed with:
GH2
Video 720/60p
Tiffen circular polarizer
Timelapse w/ Vello Shutterboss 1,2, & 5 second intervals (5 seconds gives the best effect for clouds it turns out)
Audio w/ Zoom H4N
Acid Music Studio
Music2Hues

Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL #24 - Trade Wind Clouds & Islands - Bill Thesken

Bill! that was one of the best use of time-lapse I have seen, to many use the time-lapse just coz it's cool, not to enhance the story, you base the story on the moving clouds and the time-lapse was the best way to tell your story!

If I may give you some advice, when you move from the time-lapse to normal speed, you can start the sound of the curling water before, and then fade the shot in (and fade music out). To make the coming shot to work better together I use the same audio (and delete the sound from one clip), then the cut is not that noticeable. You can then enhance the next shot by adding something more (more sound). try not to use so similar shots after each other, move between, wide, tight, close up, wide and so on... some goes with the sound on the waves, try to record the sound of the waves crushing the shore, ad that, and then pull down on the "real" sound...

Try it and see how you like it!

I hope you don't take it the wrong way, I do really like you film! Nice job!

/Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Major Player

Clever use of the theme. The shots look gorgeous; a real paradise on earth that.

The time lapse shots works very well, and very sharp looking. It looks like the polarizing filter (or the color grade, or both) really brought out the contrast and details.

While I appreciate the circularity of the ending (clouds > precipitation > river > ocean > clouds), it feels like the second half of the film was the weaker half. Thats not to say anything is wrong with the final shots (they look equally gorgeous), but I wonder if they were necessary to the overall story of the Trade Wind Clouds.

However, this is definitely a strong entry making good use of the theme with amazing photography and brilliant use of the time-lapse to give your subject real life. The shot where the clouds slow down and pack up over land is quite telling.

So, just for my information, you found the best rate for cloud time-lapse is 1 frame every 5 seconds? This is on a 60p timeline (so presumably for a 24p timeline you would reduce this to 2.5 seconds)?
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Bill,

I loved the timelapse shots! Really cool effects, and the deep blue colors of the sky is amazing.
Nice to see how the clouds build and fade away around the mountains. Seen it many times here too, but never filmed it like you did.
Some kinda abrupt audio changes can be improved by Markus' advice.

Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Bill,

I can only endorse the comments above - very nice work, and a fascinating use of time-lapse.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Bill!

I absolutely loved watching this video and was soothed and transfixed by the time-lapse. Great job with that!
I was a little confused about the static shots on the streams and little waterfalls- I know you touched on the interaction, but for me the more interesting shots were the time lapse.

Thanks for bringing me back to Hawaii!

Toni
Toni Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Bill. It must be great to live in such a photogenic place that also is filled with so many interesting story possibilities! Very pretty work. Is the GH2 a new camera for you? Something I think you should try is shooting waves at 60p and conforming them to 24p for slow motion then cutting the slowed waves against the sped up clouds. I think that could be used as an interesting transition in lots of future stories from Hawaii (which I’m already looking forward to!).
Mike Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Bill,

The time lapse sections of the clouds were amazing. The way they moved at times they seemed almost like animals, fascinating to watch. I appreciated the story you conveyed about the water cycle. But for me the footage wasn't as spectacular, so as others have said it might have been best to abbreviate that somewhat. I guess I was just so enamored with the incredible clouds almost any other footage seemed like an intrusion :)

Ruth
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #9
Major Player

As said before, the time-lapse is great. I have watched it several times.
I also like the relaxed voice-over and music. The second part is also well made and makes contrast to the speedy skies.
Your choice of interacting subjects is very good.
Finn-Erik Faale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Regular Crew

That timelapse was fantastic! Excellent sky colors too!

Watch the horizon on the ocean shots, it could be even more perfectly level- but gorgeous nonetheless!

Enjoyed the graphics too, very informative.

I want to come visit, sit there, and enjoy the view!
Andrew Bove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks for the comments and advice!
I made some tactical errors with this film, one of which was to drag it out to the end to get my
island interior shots, and not having time to travel to the epic locations. 2 days later however I was able to paddle up a river and get some nice shots for a commercial shoot, but too late for this. I'll attach a frame grab to this post.
Andrew- good eye, I was just about to fix the horizon in post but thought no one would notice.
Mike- the GH2 is a new one for me and seems to get a much better image than the XHA1. I'll take some surf shots using your advice, although I have been able to just shoot 60p and slow it down with Vegas, not needing to adhere to a 24p timeline, but I'll give it a shot.
Toni- I really wanted to convey the fact that these islands need mountains to catch the trade wind clouds, and if they are too short they are desert islands, rather than tropical. I should have had more cloud timelapse, it really is a great way to see nature at work.
Simon- I tried a bunch of options and I like the 5 second interval best for clouds on the 30p timeline. (12 frames per minute of filming, 5 minutes of real time per 2 seconds of screen time) I think I got that right...
Markus- that was another tactical error with the audio, I used the on board mics with the GH2 and it came out a little tinny, even so I should have faded in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL #24 - Trade Wind Clouds & Islands - Bill Thesken-image1.jpg  
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #12
Trustee

What a beautiful video you made.
The time lapse is exquisite and almost paralyzed me.
Nice colors, pans and with a nice and clear sound mix.
If I can give a few tips.
I like the horizon to be leveled.
In my video, I've done the same mistake in the scene where I'm standing on the edge of the cliff with my camera.
The transition from time laps to running water, maybe cross fade had done it?
Hawaii has always been a dream for us Northerners; maybe I could afford a trip when I retire.

Thanks for sharing your part of the world.
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Bill,

You have some beautiful footage in this film. I loved the slow pace even if a couple clips seemed a bit long even for me (and I prefer them that way). I very much liked you chpoice of music in the background. However, the shift from loud music to no music was rather harsh. I would make a slowe transition or keep the music going but reduce it to just above subliminal so you could hear the voiceover, the water well and the rooster in the background.
Nice job on the theme!!!

thank you for taking the time and sharing you film.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge