Tales of wonders and woes - UC25 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Tales of wonders and woes - UC25

Nothing quite like bad weather and flu to scuttle the best laid plans - hope you get better quickly Mike and that the weather improves over there so you can all get out a filming. It is really good to see so many familiar faces back again so it would be a real pity if the weather forces you out again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post

Anyhow, I had two good ideas that would suit the theme, but it looks like they have both fallen through as one potential subject was not interested in taking part, and the other subject is too difficult to pin down due to scheduling problems and the timeframe involved....
I hope that this doesn’t mean you are giving up Simon. You have a real flair for putting together an entertaining story and I am absolutely sure you are up to the challenge of making one without those guys!

My story requires quite a lot of short shots of different things so I have been out both weekends so far making the most of the good weather while it lasts. I am not sure if I will stick to this story and use the footage I have so far or not but it is progressing steadily! Next weekend will be the test.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elkins View Post
Simon,
You can download previous versions of Quicktime here:
Thanks David, will look into that now.

However, it looks like time-lapse wont be necessary as my original 2 projects fell through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post

I hope that this doesn’t mean you are giving up Simon. You have a real flair for putting together an entertaining story and I am absolutely sure you are up to the challenge of making one without those guys!
Thanks Marj; I appreciate that. After the first 2 projects fell through I had a fantastic idea for a project that really suited the theme. I contacted the people involved, and once again they were not interested (seemingly they have a policy of not interacting with the media). Drat! Three good ideas in row!

However, just now I have come across another interesting story. I just called the guy up, and success! He wants to meet tomorrow to discuss it. This might work, though I feel I may be 'forcing' the theme a little bit with this idea.

Still; a badly themed video is better than no video at all!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

Well, my first idea plan is dead in the water sense Sheila told me it was more of a blog than a film, she was right again.

As I stood staring out the window into the northern abyss it finally came to me what to do. I actually shot half an hour of video this morning and the idea is starting to fall together. If the weather holds up I might even finish this one!!! But I have to get after it. And, it should be easy to keep under four minutes!! At least a shortened version!!!
It been a long tough winter here is what I saw out my window. Inspiring eh???
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of wonders and woes - UC25-yard.jpg  
Old March 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #34
Major Player

Mike I hope you're on the road to recovery, I got the late season flu on Feb. 25 and am just now back to 98%.
Simon I went through a star timelapse phase in November of last year and tried all different methods. The RAW photos were about 22Mb each and I needed to convert to JPEG to edit in Vegas. The resulting JPEGs turned out to be 16Mb which is what I can get straight from the camera. I found that for my purposes filming JPEG was the easier route. My big hurdle for stars is my lens which is f3.5, whereas f2.5 and faster is needed for prime results.
I have not been able to wrap my brain around this theme, it seems too big (the theme, not my brain), but I have an inkling of a thought, so we'll see where it takes me. I have a camera, and the great outdoors is waiting to be filmed.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #35
Inner Circle

UWOL Challenge is a challenge for sure.

Finally I am able to walk normally and to carry my camera gear again, so hopefully I'll be able to film my idea during the Easter week.
The morale is:
Do not fall uncontrolled. It might rip apart your back's muscles, and then it's game over for the next couple weeks. :)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond Saetre View Post
UWOL Challenge is a challenge for sure.

Finally I am able to walk normally and to carry my camera gear again, so hopefully I'll be able to film my idea during the Easter week.
The morale is:
Do not fall uncontrolled. It might rip apart your back's muscles, and then it's game over for the next couple weeks. :)
Hope you're getting better Trond!

Well, I'm at the location now and will get out to the cave area today. During this week I'll shoot not just one film, that will be two films produced (atleast the shooting). The other film is pretty cool, it will be projected on a 180 degree dome, so everything will be shot with a fisheye. I did some test in the dome yesterday... Freaky.
So one week, one location, two totally different films!
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 03:52 AM   #37
Trustee

Hello everyone.
A misfortune never comes alone.
First I had a trip to the hospital (fortunately on my feet) but ...
Then we got a leak in the living room ceiling.
Attaching a picture of the leak and repair work in progress.
Do not know if I can complete Uwol 25, but will try to deliver something.
I do not know what you are allowed to say in this forum, but leakage is a piece of s....
What Uwol 25 is concerned, I have been working on the script and looked for good locations.
The weather has been fairly good, but after a whole winter without snow,
we suddenly got a snowfall now in the beginning of spring.
We'll see how I get out of this dilemma.
I am very eager to give my contribution to this round.
Hope everyone is doing well and is on track with their contributions.
Attached Thumbnails
Tales of wonders and woes - UC25-leaking-roof.jpg  
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Seems like we got more woes than wonders at the moment.

Geir Inge, hope you get the ceiling repaired real quick. That's a real pain.
Markus, you have an interesting project. I look forward to see the film.
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Well, I hope you all get better soon!! As well as get something together!!! I always look forward to your submissions!!!!

I actually am capturing some footage I shot this week. We have had a pile more snow and the wind is whipping it around today!! Good day to be in the computer lab!!!

Dale
Old March 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #40
Major Player

Well, I have a script, a timeline, some archive footage along it, and my subjects in place. I now need some good weather to film the remainig 90%. Fingers crossed that the sun comes out over the next few days. Still smiling though lol !
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #41
Major Player

My wife and I are avid Can-Am Spyder riders. While checking a loose foot pedal, I leaned down with my left hand on the HOT muffler. Now I know what a branded calf feels like. Looks like I'll miss this challenge and my finger prints.
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #42
Major Player

Looks like the woes have reached the southern hemisphere as well!

The March rains have arrived with a vengeance, and my shooting is well behind schedule!
Still, I'm getting much more work on pre production than I normally do, and there are still 2 weeks left....

I'm working on an idea I had for the Charity Challenge, but didn't get around to due to travel, but I'm determined to get something submitted - I have a script, an outline, graphics and music!

I guess there is still time for a Plan B!

Good luck to everyone, and for those with ailments - get better soon!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #43
Major Player

Sorry to hear of everyone's troubles....

As for me, another weekend of bad weather....but there is still time to get the footage I want....here's lookin' forward to next weekend... :)
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #44
Inner Circle

True Bob, we have plenty time left until deadline.
Good weather around the globe has been ordered. :)
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #45
Trustee

Very bad weather for the last days for me to get any footage according to plan A. But forecast for next weekend and days after looks very good. Crossing fingers for my plan A.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge