Tales of wonders and woes - UC26 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 23rd, 2013, 11:57 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Tales of wonders and woes - UC26

So many conflicts have arisen and I can't get to this challenge. Good filming to all.
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #62
Major Player

Hi all; been away from this for a while so I just thought I'd check in quickly. I had filmed some stuff briefly at the beginning of the month, but been unable to get anymore work done.

I wont be able to finish this one due to personal issues, probably I'll be off filming for a while until I get some things sorted out. Best of luck to you all!
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #63
Trustee

Hello everyone, hope you are doing well.

I need some help with my English and hope someone can help me out?
The word is "impact" (of course it is) and how it can be used.
Can I use other words that cover "impact"?
For example, "Affect", "Influence", "touched by" ?

Wish you all the best and let us "interact", to the best of the world (right or wrong use of impact?).

Geir Inge
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #64
Inner Circle

These are all proper interpretations of the word "impact,," Geir.
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
These are all proper interpretations of the word "impact,," Geir.
Thank you so much Chris, for helping me out.
I wish you all the best.
I will miss your contribution in this round.

Geir Inge
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #66
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir Inge View Post
Can I use other words that cover "impact"?
For example, "Affect", "Influence", "touched by" ?

Wish you all the best and let us "interact", to the best of the world (right or wrong use of impact?).

Geir Inge
Hi Geir:

Just to mix it up a bit, here are a few other synonyms of "impact" for you:

impact
noun
1 the force of the impact: collision, crash, smash, bump, bang, knock.
2 the job losses will have a major impact: effect, influence, significance, meaning; consequences, repercussions, ramifications, reverberations.
verb
1 a comet impacted the earth sixty million years ago: crash into, smash into, collide with, hit, strike, ram, smack into, bang into, slam into.
2 high interest rates have impacted retail spending: affect, influence, have an effect on, make an impression on; hit, touch, change, alter, modify, transform, shape.

A little discussion in my handy dictionary tells us that the use of the word "impact" has traditionally been as a noun until recently. Interestingly, impact as a verb might have arisen partly in response to widespread diffidence about the spelling of affect (often confused with effect).

I'm always so very impressed with our UWOLers that create their films in a second language. Kudos!

Looking forward to when I can finally see what you all have come up with.

Cheers,
Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #67
Trustee

Hi Catherin.
How wonderful it is to have such good friends.
Helps me with the language and have a big impact on me and my work.
Thank you very much for your help.
Can't help it, but I love you guys.
My video is almost finished, just have to make the VO, some music and then it's done.

Geir Inge
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Finally got myself a new computer. And still many days until deadline.
I'm back in business and ready for the final editing. :)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #69
Trustee

Go Trond, Go!

We love our Norwegian contingent! And I miss Per, too!

Okay all of you wildlife enthusiasts, I'm asking for advice. You know the bear posts in my first comment on this thread? Well, I've had another encounter with I think is the same bear, but this time it was somewhat disconcerting.

Most of you know we have a small "hobby farm" and I have 7 large goats that I walk in the early evening almost everyday. Last evening I was with them along our usual walking area near our house that takes us cross-country through a quarry. We crested a hill and there he was, watching us not 100 yards away. Steamboat Mtn, where we filmed him before, is just west of this encounter. But in almost 10 years of walking my goats, I've never encountered a black bear here where there is more human disturbance.

So what do you think I am supposed to do in a situation like that? I just stood there for a moment staring at him and thinking, now is this the situation where you absolutely don't turn your back, or will I provoke it by staring at him?

I ended up trying to remove us from the situation as discretely as possible, grabbed Bob (the goat closest to me in front) by the collar and about-faced him to head back the way we came. So much for being discrete. Once the other goats saw the bear and read my reaction, they all turned and bolted.

We made it up to a road where there are houses and watched for the bear from there, where he had followed us at a distance... just being curious, really, before he made his own way back towards Steamboat Mtn and we wandered back home. What was scary was how much ground he covered in no time at all.

Can you share your wisdom? Is it actually a plus for me to be surrounded by 7 large animals in that a mountain lion or a bear might hold off an attack than if I were alone?

Thanks for the info!

Cat
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #70
Inner Circle

Will do, Catherine. :)

Wish I was there to meet Mr Bear.
Good to know you saved the goats, but it wold have been a very interesting moment to catch on film too..
What an impact!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #71
Major Player

I'm certainly no expert on bears, but I would have though by observing other large predators over the years that having a ¨multiple choice¨ for dinner would confuse the bear enough to enable you to beat a retreat - it does bring to mind the old joke about Bill and Fred encountering the bear - ¨you'll never outrun a bear!¨says Fred - ¨No, I only need to run faster than you!¨ is the reply.

Seriously, I would try and get advice from the local Parks and Wildlife people, as safety must be uppermost in your mind.

Bears are best observed from the other end of a long lens, or a safe distance - witness the footage from the BBC cameraman and the Polar Bear in a perspex box recently showing.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #72
Trustee

It was an exciting story, Catherine.
Do not know how it is with bears and goats, but here is a link from Norway.
Sheep chasing a wolf :)
I hope you are able to watch it from USA, don't know about restrictions from other countries?

Se sauen jage ulven! - VG Nett
Old June 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #73
Trustee

Ha ha ha ha ha.... now that's something I don't think I'd believe except that it's documented on film. May I use this video for training purposes for my goats, Geir?

Paul, thanks for the wisdom. Until now I assumed that the goats were more of a liability, but I think you may be right that because we are a herd, that in itself may give a predator a moment of pause.

I have spoken with a wildlife official a few years ago when they had GPS tracked a mountain lion, who had been radio-collared, to our property where it had killed a deer and her new born fawn not far from our house :(. He basically said that if I avoid heading out at dusk and dawn I should be okay. Unfortunately, dusk is the only time I am able to head out with them, so it didn't help much.

You're right in that safety is on my mind and I am well aware that consistently walking through open lands alone with 7 goats isn't the safest habit, and I could find myself in a real quandary at some point. So far over the years we have survived 3 rattlesnake bites and temporarily losing track of one goat, A.J., who got his front hooves caught in a tree and was separated from the rest of us until I finally figured out we were one short and I found him just before dark. But so far we've always made it home to tell the tale!

The UWOL deadline is getting close. Looking forward to watching your masterpieces, All!
Old June 27th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #74
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha.... now that's something I don't think I'd believe except that it's documented on film. May I use this video for training purposes for my goats, Geir?
Go a head and show it to your goats.
I think 20 min every morning will do the trick, haha.
Old June 28th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #75
Major Player

At this point, I must throw in the towel. This weekend is booked and I have nothing done.

Looking forward to seeing all the great videos.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge