UWOL26 - Out West by Cat Russell - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old July 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: UWOL26 - Out West by Cat Russell

Hey Andrew:

Oh, to have roos in my backyard! I'm envious of you Andrew :).

Very astute critique! I think you and Paul hit on the main potential weakness of this film clip. Paul thought the beginning animation was disjoint from the rest, and you the "two halves" in the movie distinct from each other. And you are both right. It's like 3 different sections attached to each in a short amount of space.

The abrupt change reflects the abrupt change in the focus of the film clip. At first I started out with the intention of showing how critical water is to the landscapes here in the West, and how different the two environments are with or without water. Then on June 11th we hit record-breaking heat and 4 wildfires erupted in Colorado overnight. Naturally, the focus of the film had to address this and the second half of the clip turns in this direction. So instead of 2.5 minutes (the length of the song) dedicated to juxtaposing Colorado landscapes with and without water as I started out to do, it turned into 4 minutes with these obvious two distinct halves.

All in all, these abrupt distinctions didn't bother me too much but it does reveal a certain lack of consistency and a nice weaving of thought and motive throughout. I agree that this will be seen as a negative rather than a positive characteristic to some or maybe most who view it. Ah well! It's how it fell together and it worked well enough for me!

Thanks so much for your input! I very much appreciate you taking the time to watch our clips and give us your thoughts!

Cat

Hey Trond:

Do you have an English/Norwegian dictionary I can borrow? :)
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Dictionary? I know I have heard that word somewhere.... ;)
Don't worry, team Vikings might give you a hand.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
The next UWOL entry I make, my post will be in Norwegian.... brace yourself, it won't be pretty. :)
My sister married one of them. You know what they say: "You can tell a Norwegian ...... but you can't tell 'em much!".

Poulsbo, WA USA - Velkommen til Historic Downtown Poulsbo - Kitsap County, WA USA

Edit: Other than that I have to say he is a really nice guy. :-)

Last edited by John Nantz; July 4th, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added a P.S.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
If you get a chance, read my comment to John. Maybe it would be fun creating a film forum dedicated to the issues of global warming. It might be a strong voice in that we could be filming first hand what we are experiencing all over the world in our own back yards. It's worth the conversation at least!
Global Warming Film Forum: I'm all in favor of that!

We've got two 5-acre parcels just up the hill where the forest down to every blade of grass was removed.

Then there is the North Fork of Johnson Creek that is just below a recently constructed shopping center. The environmental review said "no significant damage". The fish count (taken annually at the same location for a specified time period) was recording over 125 salmon prior to construction about 10 years ago. Ever since it was built the count dwindled and in two of the last three most recent years the number of fish counted is ZERO. Zilch. No significant impact? what are they smoking? And, the city lawyer says it is all perfectly legal.

In the meantime the Government is spending millions to "save" Hood Canal and Puget Sound.

The problem starts with City and County planners who say there is negligible environmental damage and give their blessing to developments.

Otherwise known as "death by a thousand cuts."

Count me IN.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Trustee

Hi John!

Okay, Andrew was interested as well. After UWOL 26 is over I will put up a discussion thread so others can join in and give their input on the idea and we will see what falls out from that.

A film forum with people all over the world putting up videos on climate impact in their neck of the woods could be a powerful message, maybe even a movement, and it will be fun too.

Thanks for the spark!

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I am already heavily involved with the Around the world project, and must have that as first priority.
But if time permits, I would like to join in with this as well.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge