UWOL #31 "Blending in" by Geir Inge B. Brekke at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 1st, 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Trustee

UWOL #31 "Blending in" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

This time, my contribution to the contest is completely different than originally planned.
I bought my new camera, Canon 5D Mark3 and was going to use it for this project.
I changed the plan because there was much to learn/get in to (I'm not a technical genius, so I learn by the method "test to fail").
I would also use my GoPro cameras to shoot small birds from unique angles up in the tree.
This I succeed, but there was something ensformigt.
A few days before I got my 5D Mark3 camera, I was out with Canon XLH1 camera and filmed the main player in my contribution, which I have chosen to use in this project.
At the beginning of the video I used some scenes filmed with 5D Mark3.
As the main focus I have therefore chosen a major player and the color of this actor.
Initially, I mention briefly the various aspects of color in nature.
The colors of nature're talking to us in different ways and at the same time we receive the signals differently.
I think it's a fantastic way to experience nature, that we sense it in different ways.
Almost forgot, but later I discovered a small error in my VO.
I use the word "detetct" double up, or unnecessary in my opinion.
It's this language that I always feel like my Achilles heel.
My riddle to you; Can you spot the error?

Feedback are welcome.

Last edited by Geir Inge; October 1st, 2014 at 01:25 PM.
Geir Inge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL #31 "Blending in" by Geir Inge B. Brekke

Geir, that animal is pretty dang gnarly. The look in it's face, wouldn't want to meet it in a dark alley. I heard you say 'detect' twice, but it sounded very natural.
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Trustee

Geir,

Awesome film as always!

Really loved how you used the rising tide to show the passage of time!

I've never seen an otter stay still for so long as in your final shot.

You're voice is totally suited for these films. So calming and soothing.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 03:50 AM   #4
Trustee

Hello everyone.
I briefly stopped by to say that I will give my comments to you all during the coming weekend.
This week has been very busy for me, as I have gotten me a job number 2 at a detoxification clinic.
Very exciting and challenging.

I also need to correct a mistake in the text to my feedback thread, where I wrote:
"This I succeed, but there was something ensformigt."
This statement is incorrect and should read: "I succeeded in that, but the recordings were rejected because they were repetitive."

Kevin: Thank you for nice comments, I appreciate it. The scene you are referring to, you can see the otter somehow sniffs the air? It knows I'm there but not exactly where. I absolutely love to shoot wild animals this way, even if it causes hours of waiting. One of my major problem and often do not hear about is when there arises a need to go to a particular place (ie toilet).
You just have to pee but can not leave because one scare the object and destroys the chances for good recording. It pays in other words, to have what we in Norway call, banquet bladder.

Bill: Thank you for nice comments. The otter has a powerful bite, but is not dangerous to humans.
It becomes frightened of humans and run away as soon as it sees you. Thank you for saying my english is OK :)
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Geir Inge,

A fascinating look at the otter and his habitat.

I especially like that this time you made a short štraveloguešto show your journey and the way you got there.
Well done on the patience front! and of course, as ever, your excellent voice over.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 04:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Lovely insight into otters. Enjoyed watching loved the way you made to into journey to view and the way its colour makes it hard to see them. I know how difficult it is to film otters. Well done.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Geir Inge
I've always liked your voice in your videos. You did have me wondering what "ensformigt" was. As Kevin mentioned the tide coming in was neat. How long did that take? Yes doing wildlife takes a lot of patience and when "nature calls" it's not always at the best time.
Always enjoy your videos.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hei Geir Inge,

You always seem to be in the right place at the right time to capture the life of the wildlife.
Wish I had the same luck. :)

I like how you once more give us a view of the Otter, and you are right. He is blending well into the surroundings.

Well done! I enjoyed watching.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Trustee

Hello everyone and thanks for your comments.

Gordon: I photographed about an hour to create this time lapse and I used my GoPro camera. Then came a wave and pushed the camera out of position so I had to end the mission.

Trond: All the times I've filmed otters, I have spent hours waiting. Sometimes it pops up, but most times I have not seen a trace of it. That's why I can not go to the toilet when it finally shows up, haha.
I always have with me some extra warm clothes, some food and drink. The cell phone I usually turn off, not to scare it.
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Major Player

Hey Geir

Apologies to you as well for this late comment. I tried to finish all my feedback comments by Friday, knowing that I had a full weekend ahead but didn’t quite make it.

Thank you for taking us along on your journey and for giving us a glimpse of the European Otter - as an example of camouflage colour. You managed to capture some very beautiful footage of that creature – well worth the wait!

I agree about patience - filming wildlife requires the utmost of patience and time just waiting and waiting.

Your voice-over is gentle and friendly in approach. I can't add much more to this than what has already been noted. I enjoyed watching your video.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge