Beyond UWOL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Beyond UWOL

One of the nicest things about making the UWOL videos, (besides the camaraderie and challenge of recording something cool), is that I've gotten a bit of training, and have a sideline occupation making videos for local companies for pay. I'm also writing a blog for the company I work for, and sometimes spice it up with a video that I made for UWOL. On a recent blog post I included a video that I made a couple of years ago and put in a plug for DV Info Net ? The Digital Video Information Network at the same time:

Trade Wind Clouds and Islands | Poipu Real Estate | Becky Supon, Poipu Realtor | Pacific Ocean Properties

And here's a video I made for a golf course subdivision:

Wainani at Poipu resort - luxury residential lots for sale at Poipu Beach, Kauai, Hawaii, with ocean, mountain, and golf course views.

I can track the play statistics on VimeoPro, and can tell that they're seen all over the world, although it is amazing that the ones I put the most work into got a few dozen views, while this one little short video that just shows people walking down the beach got hundreds of views:

Kiahuna Beachfront | Poipu Real Estate | Becky Supon, Poipu Realtor | Pacific Ocean Properties

Anyone else use their UWOL videos on the side?
Bill Thesken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Beyond UWOL

That's awesome Bill,
I don't think too many of my films will ever be seen outside of UWOL, probably a good thing too!! :)
I am however, still working on my long form UWOL film about the mountain caribou. I hope to have it all finished around this time next year, although since it has been going now since 2008, i wouldn't hold your breath. :)
It's funny how over those years, i have used so many different cameras on the project from a Canon XH A1 & Canon HV20 to Canon HF G10, XA 20, Sony EX3, a bunch of other small handy cams for remote cameras, & now i am primarily using a Panasonic GH4 & shooting mostly in 4k! Lots of differences in quality, & differences in the look, thankfully it's not something i need to match cameras for or i would probably have a real hard time editing it all. As it is, i have almost 700 gig of material i have shot for this project alone so there is lots to sift through!
Again, great to hear UWOL has lead to your doing more of what you love to do.
Regards,
Bryce
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That's very cool, Bill!
Nice to see you can use your UWOL videos for other things than just the challenge.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice to know this Bill

I came to UWOL so that i can learn to make videos, i started out doing videos some time back with a subject kingfishers around 5 years ago and came from doing 5D MII, to 600 D to 5D MIII to the GH4 this year and its on, nearly something very much like Bryce.
Hope to learn more here so that one day i can edit a documentary that i intend to.

thats the reason i enrolled into this times UWOL challenge .

best regards
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Great topic for a thread, Bill.

Our local chapter of the Audubon Society has a Christmas Party meeting each December. Instead of the usual program, members are encouraged to bring and talk about ten digital still images they have taken in the year past. Some years ago I started showing video clips instead. When I started participating in UWOL I showed my UC14 entry. Now they don’t want to see clips any more, they want to see any UWOL videos I have made that year. Some members even bring popcorn in anticipation. The first time I showed one that had won I got a standing ovation (rather embarrassing, actually). I put all of my UWOL videos on my website. More than thirty times I have been contacted by schoolteachers at various levels (grade school to college) asking permission to use a video in their classroom. Since the videos are online and they are just going to play them off of the internet anyway, I don’t see the need to ask special permission but it is always nice to hear what people are up to. Twice now I have found one of my UWOL videos embedded in a website without permission. In both cases it turned out to be a middle school student doing a class project so I just gave them permission.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge