UWOL 32 - The Winners at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 12th, 2015, 04:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

UWOL 32 - The Winners

Thanks everyone, many votes where submitted this time.

Winner of the December 2014 UWOL challenge:
Andrew Hood - Our Universe

Runner up:
Vishal Jadhav - Elements

Everyone: Well done! You all made some really good films and you can all be happy with your results.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: UWOL 32 - The Winners

Congratulations Andrew and Vishal. Well done! Thanks Trond and Chris and all the members of UWOL.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Many congratulations to Andrew for a well deserved win!

And to Vishal for an excellent first entry! and of course to everyone else for submitting some really good entries.
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Trustee

Links to winner's videos?
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Congratulations to you both well done, worthy winner and runner up. Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Congrats Andrew

Thanks a lot to all of you for the feedback surely will help me get better, already editing version 2 of my entry to incorporate the suggestions .

Hope to get better for the March challenge .

Cheers
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Links to winner's videos?
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-cha...atch-them.html
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone. I still don't think this makes up for the number of times I've ended up in the shark tank though. Does this raise the expectations for next round?

Such a great diversity of films, and there are things to like about all of them, things I wish I could do myself, or had thought of to use in mine. A great way to learn.
Well done Vishal also - looking forward to the next entry. And to all the finishers, it's so easy to find excuses - finishing something is a large part of the challenge, and an achievement in itself. I should know, my ratio is about 1 in 4.

Feedback is also a great part of the community here, and appreciated. Although I think it fair to thank Geir and especially Marj for their meticulous and valuable feedback across all the entries.

And where would we be without Trond making all this happen? And Chris for giving us a home.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:10 AM   #9
Major Player

Apologies for this late post - we had no internet for 24 hours!

Congratulations Andrew - no surprises there. I do hope you are encouraged by this win because you are certainly raising the bar here and we would love to see more of your work.

Vishal you have added some excitement and colour to this challenge with your wonderful first entry all the way from India. You are also raising the bar here so we are all going to have to work harder in order to come up to your standards - which is good!

(Re the feedback - thanks for mentioning this Andrew - it is so important. Knowing the level of feedback everyone wants definitely makes it easier to make constructive observations without fear of treading on toes. Critique is so subjective so working to a simple checklist helps a lot. I don't always get it right or see everything that's significant but then that's where we all balance things out with our different feedback comments - the more constructive comments everyone can offer, the more we can learn.)

Thanks to both Trond and Chris for making this happen.
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hood View Post
Does this raise the expectations for next round?
Of course it does. UWOL is all about pushing yourself and improve our own skills as film makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
(Re the feedback - thanks for mentioning this Andrew - it is so important. Knowing the level of feedback everyone wants definitely makes it easier to make constructive observations without fear of treading on toes. Critique is so subjective so working to a simple checklist helps a lot. I don't always get it right or see everything that's significant but then that's where we all balance things out with our different feedback comments - the more constructive comments everyone can offer, the more we can learn.)
Very well said, Marj. It's good to see all the good feedback beeing provided this round. It is an important part of the UWOL challenge.

----------- ----------- ------------- ------------
Signup for the March challenge will be open from the middle of February.
Old January 13th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Trustee

My congratulations to the winners and to my fellow participants.
This was a great round and my special thanks to Trond and Chris who hold the fort.
Thank you Andrew, who mentions me regarding feedback.
I am of the opinion that to give and receive feedback is the main thing we can do for each other, in this forum.
Although we have different cultural backgrounds and come from all corners of the world, I feel that Uwol has room for everyone.
Something I appreciate and feel is important to stick to, and take care of.
The language has been and still is, one of my Achilles heels.
Wish that I could express myself just as well in English as in Norwegian.
At times I feel that I am giving feedback that may seem somewhat short or deficient.
I want to be constructive and I must unfortunately have help from google translate.
This means that at times, the language gets another meaning when translated.
This is something one must live with, I guess.

Hope to see you all in the next round.
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #12
Major Player

Geir Inge
Your feedback is pretty detailed and structured and I would say very informative, infact I made it a point to go to all the feedback threads started and read your feedback, I found you and Marj to be the most detailed in way you provide you feedback, others have been good and very helpful .
I found Geir Inge and Marj to go the extra mile in studying things and making it structured.

Dvinfo is a place I now study it's like a film making university where I can go to things that interest me and gain knowledge from the practicing experts of those arts.

In last 4 months I have been active here I have learnt a lot , credit goes to all you folks who share wisdom.

Thanks to all
vishal
Vishal Jadhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #13
Major Player

Congratulations, Andrew. I try to just keep signing up and completing as I am able and not worry too much about it when I can’t. Your work is now at a level where I really hope for the privilege of watching a much longer video from you in the near future.

Way to go, Vishal! Congratulations on placing on your first out. I hope it is the first of many. Also, thanks for providing our first “official UWOL dancing girl”. :)

I think all of the videos from this round are very good. I would have had a great deal more to say on that subject (I realize how important the feedback is), unfortunately, an encounter with pneumonia has left me feeling weakened, dispirited and temporarily incapable of much critical thought. I hope to see everyone again in March. Best wishes, all!
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge