UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 10th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL36 Tales of wonders and woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
Hey Geir,
Just wondering how you are finding the Phantom 3 pro drone? If my memory serves me correctly, you did have one of the earlier Phantom drones with a Gopro on it. How would you compare the two? I have one of the first Phantoms & use it with a 3 axis gimbal with my Gopro 3. The footage is lovely, but really hard to get the exact shots i want due to not being able to see what the camera is looking at.
Is the Phantom 3 pro worth the price to upgrade?
Thanks in advance,
Bryce

Sorry to take this thread off topic!!
I also have the first generation Phantom with gopro 3, on a 2-axis gimbal.
I use a videolink to download in real time the video image to a monitor I have attached to the remote control.
Makes it easy to frame the shots I want.

The new Phantoms are more dependent of smartphones or tablets to see what you are filming and to control the camera.
I'd say that is a step backwards for serious use.
What happens if you receive a call in the middle of the flight? Will you loose all telemetry data?
The only thing I believe is better with the new phantoms, is the ability to remotely control the camera in real time. For me, it is not worth upgrading at this time.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #17
Trustee

Good to hear your opinion too Trond,
What sort of run times do you get from your setup then? One of my gripes with my setup is the very short run times. I have made everything as light as possible, but i still struggle to get more than 4-5 mins per battery. I have 4 batteries, but they all give roughly the same run time on a full charge. Being able to carry just 2 batteries & have more than double the flight time would be fantastic. With regards to receiving a call while flying. I have to say i am not too worried since where i tend to fly it there is no cell phone coverage anyway!
Thanks for the input Trond & sorry to take this thread off topic.
On that note. Maybe we could have a sub forum for all equipment etc related to wildlife/outdoor filming? For things like drones, jibs, sliders etc, maybe simply having a link to specific threads on DVInfo that are related to how we would use them. I'm thinking pack-able types of things. Like a slider that you can throw in a backpack, making it easy to use in the great outdoors. As an example, here is a great lightweight jib that i wish i had instead of the very big & very heavy (relatively) jib that i have & don't use nearly enough due to that.
Lightweight Portable Camera Cranes and Travel Jibs
I don't mean to make more work for yourself or Chris, just thought it might make it easier for sharing ideas on equipment where it won't get lost amongst all the other posts here.
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Bryce,
A subforum in the UWOL section will probably not happen.
But it is totally up to C. Hurd to deside. I don't have any other priveleges than you guys here on dvinfo, except for running the show.

Equipment is in general covered in the appropriate subforums, and I believe posting questions in those subforums instead of here in the UWOL-forum, will give you a better chance to reach the right people to get the best possible answers.

-----------
Flight times for the phantom 1:
With a 3000mah battery, I get about 6-7 minutes flight time, give or take a little depending of how I fly with my setup. Winter temperatures reduce the flight time with at least a minute or two.
Old November 10th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #19
Inner Circle

good evening,

I have been out on two filming excursions. The conditions were challenging to be certain.
It has been a while to be certain. I was shooting some birds and sat the camera down. little later I found a great shot to shoot, grabbed the sony and hit the record button and filmed my target flying right by me. then I realized I had left the camera on and when I hit the record button in a hurry I actually put it on standby!!! Now there's a novice move if ever!!!
I have two theme ideas but will have to see what footage I can round up before I jump into the editing.

I thought of building both simultaneously then just pick the one I like best.

Things are going well and I my son is down in the states visiting his sister, no worries.

Dale
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:18 PM   #20
Trustee

Yes fair enough Trond.
Dale, glad to hear i'm not the only one that's done that trick with the record/stop button!! Glad to hear you're back out there enjoying filming again though, with no worries!!
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #21
Trustee

If there is ever a tale of woe, it is the devastating and tragic attack on Paris that has infinitely grieved our hearts. In lieu of this event, UWOL becomes most significantly important: an international platform where people are welcomed from all over the world to pursue a peaceful passion that unites us all in friendship.

Way to go, Trond, keeping this little community going with such good-natured and faithful cheer.

I am so very thankful you are all in my life!

Sincerely,

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #22
Inner Circle

A bit off topic:

Everyone: Please follow the "Get together 2016" thread.
There has been some updated information lately.

-----------------------

Catherine, yes, UWOL has developed very well over the years. Some has launched their professional careers, friendships have been made, and each and every participant has developed their film making skills.
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:11 AM   #23
Trustee

It's looking like weather of all things may put the kabosh on my Plan A idea.

So working on a Plan B just in case. There's some overlap between the two so if the weahte rcooperates then maybe I can still do Plan A.

With Plan B I'm debating if it's still on theme. I think it is. It's not so much about weather as it is the results of weather. Some of the stuff I want to shoot coincides with weather but really isn't because of weather. So I guess I better refine and clarifiy the idea before I get too far into it. :)
Old November 15th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #24
Major Player

Back today from a week of zero internet, just shut it of so that I could edit my doc.
This week I will try and shoot , got a general idea of what I want to do let me see if I can execute it in real

Good to know about the phantom experience , it's tough with flying permissions in India so not buying it yet.
Old November 15th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #25
Trustee

So true Cat!
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:27 AM   #26
Trustee

Hi Kevin:

It sure seems to me that doing something on a topic that is the direct result of weather would apply to the theme. The theme choice is amazing this way, so literally obvious and so wide open at the same time :).

Hi Trond:

When do you release the password info for uploading, now that we are in the final week?

Thanks!
Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Catherine, I have sent the upload info to your email.

Everyone:
Remember to send an email to uwol@dvinfo.net to request the upload instructions for Vimeo.
(Do not wait until the last day, remember the time differences around the globe might cause delays)
Old November 16th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #28
Trustee

Slowly starting to bring together fragments of Plan B in my head. Writing them down then I'll try to sort them and see if something comes together. Still hoping that Plan A works out but I won;t know if that's possible until at least the 22nd.

It's funny how nature kind of puts things in front of you to help your ideas along. You just have to see it.

Was out filming another tallgrass prairie fire Saturday when I discovered something that fits perfectly for my Plan B idea. The light was poor since it was about one in the afternoon but I shot a minute or two just in case I can't film it again in better light. First time I've ever seen this in all the years I've filmed out on the prairie and didn't even know that this occured.

The weather is kind of dicey this week here in Eastern Iowa but hopefully I can get one afternoon in to do some filming.

Getting home at 4PM with sunset about 46 minutes later doesn;t make for a lot of filming but it does make for beautiful light if I can get out and film! :)
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #29
Major Player

Well at last I have a workable idea, and hope to find time this week to get something on camera. Ive been pretty busy with a documentary for the last few weeks, but that is coming together, so if things work to plan I have an entry!
Paul Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2015, 03:39 AM   #30
Inner Circle

So far I have only filmed a little bit. But a working idea is still missing.
Been a lot of the wet element the last weeks, but this weekend looks promising.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge