New Year Resolutions? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 7th, 2016, 07:35 AM   #1
Trustee

New Year Resolutions?

Wi9th a few weeks to go before we start the next challenge I was wondering if anyone made any New Year resolutions with their filmmaking in mind?

I have three.

Get out more
That was a resolution for 2015 that I failed miserably at.
They say you miss 100% of the shots you don't take and I know I missed a lot.
For 2016, I need to get out as often as I can.

Move the camera
I need to get away from so many static shots. Not sure how I'm going to do this since so much of the stuff I shoot is static but I'll figure it out.

Put together a longer piece.
I need to do something that is longer than four minutes. I love doing UWOL but I need to start making longer films that tell a story. This will probably be the hardest resolution for me to do but I know that I need to do it!

So what are you looking to do with your filmmaking this year?
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: New Year Resolutions?

Kevin,

Interesting to see these

I realized after my few short films about the static nature of the frame so i added a slider, then latest i thought of a 3 axis handheld gimbal for the shots making them more flowing. Still working at these 2

About a longer feature i am still editing one and its one thing on my mind currently and that may hold be back from entering into the feb challenge .

guess i started working at these 2 and in 2016 i want to see where i take them, also need to attend the Wildscreen this year :)
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Major Player

My New Year's resolution is to keep hoping that someone will come out with an interchangeable lens camera with a chip 1/2 inch or smaller that shoots in 4k and can do 120fps.

...and to stay sort of healthy.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Trustee

I want to start shooting personal projects (non-weddings) and am trying to figure out one right now. I'll have a lot of free time until busy season starts again in 3 months.

I plan on participating in a challenge.

I'm also trying to be super quick on the editing. I complete my NYE wedding (Thursday) on Monday, and I worked Saturday. That was great because it got 600+ views and I'm really happy with the work.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Major Player

Not a New Years Resolution per se but I want to get back to shooting more interesting stuff. 2015 was a crappy shooting year for me as I was pretty much moving around all year, so I was just about scraping by, filming same boring live stuff over and over again and DJing crappy music at a crappy bar.

I want to get back to making music videos, doing the first on Saturday and a couple of other lined up for later. So off to a good start in that department.

I also want to get a Film Noir project started. Had an epiphany between Christmas and New Years which solved most problems, so now there's no reason not to start.

I also managed to finally buy an Odyssey 7Q+ which I hope will bring my footage to a new level. So very excited about that...

And I hope to finally get a showreel and webpage done.
Old January 7th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
Move the camera
I need to get away from so many static shots. Not sure how I'm going to do this since so much of the stuff I shoot is static but I'll figure it out.
Camera movement is my weak link as well.
Party because I'm not very excited about it. And partly because I hate bad camera movement. And the gear to get good camera movement is still rather expensive and/or hard to control as a one man band.
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Trustee

Great thread Kevin,
I didn't actually make any resolutions per se, but i'm with you on the more camera movement thing. I have actually added a very small amount of movement to some of the shots i will use in my long form film about the caribou. They are static shots, but i have zoomed in up to 10% then done a little bit of a pan, or slow zoom out etc. Makes a big difference. In fact, it's interesting just how little movement you need to make the shot that much better.
If there is anything i have been saying (actually i've been saying it now for over 12 months) is that i am going to finish my caribou film this year! I think i can make it happen at last. I just hope the caribou last that long!
Happy shooting!
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #8
Major Player

My NewYear's Resolution is... 720p

While I have been living in Canada, I have not had my heavy duty computing resources available. I have been outputting files as 540p to make the render times acceptable. I got a Thunderbolt 2 Dock for birthday/Christmas and it makes all the render and save times much quicker. I now have my external drives at USB3 speed and everything is much more joyous. So I am going to spend a bit of extra time getting a higher resolution file out as the final product. This should make my UWOL entries look a lot better.

(Also the camera movement thing, by the end of the year I will be able to afford a slider of some sort too.)
Old January 9th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Railsback View Post
Put together a longer piece.
I need to do something that is longer than four minutes. I love doing UWOL but I need to start making longer films that tell a story. This will probably be the hardest resolution for me to do but I know that I need to do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav View Post
About a longer feature i am still editing one and its one thing on my mind currently and that may hold be back from entering into the feb challenge . . .
. . . also need to attend the Wildscreen this year :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce Comer View Post
If there is anything i have been saying (actually i've been saying it now for over 12 months) is that i am going to finish my caribou film this year! I think i can make it happen at last. I just hope the caribou last that long!
I do hope your resolutions include submitting these to Wildscreen - that would be so cool - three UWOL entries at Wildscreen. Hopefully we will see another Panda Award here again. :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 12:43 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marj Atkins View Post
I do hope your resolutions include submitting these to Wildscreen - that would be so cool - three UWOL entries at Wildscreen. Hopefully we will see another Panda Award here again. :)
Marj,
Objective is to submit the entry to Wildscreen, time permitting .
I started with the 4 minute stuff here and still at bay with the longer stuff , also all aspects of it like shooting, narration, editing, sound etc. Never went to school or would have helped in atleast getting things in the right direction. Current process is to embark on a path to hit a brick wall, then try to break it or get on a alternative road to find another of those brick walls :)
Only thing i now have is a story and a editing timeline which is now around 20 odd minutes, guess i will have to take one more big break to get the timeline to the required length and include all aspects i need and turn to writing the voice over narration ( biggest struggle as of now) , The voice over is a part that will be external and i wont do it .
Lets see where i land up.
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I'm changing up my internet advertising, dropping Wedding Wire which has not paid benefits all of last year. My hope is to stop wasting money on advertising........tall order I know.
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Jadhav View Post
Marj,
Objective is to submit the entry to Wildscreen, time permitting . . . Lets see where i land up.
Way to go Vishal! :)
Marj Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #13
Trustee

Hi Kevin, I have no special New Year's resolution.
Still, you got me thinking a little bit.
In the year 2006 I started on a project about seabirds.
Since 2006, I have made many recordings without that it has become a finished product.
I know I have enough footage to make a pretty good 30-minute video, but I lack a good story that binds it all together.
Maybe I lack some recordings to take the story forward as well.
Furthermore, I must have a script that binds the sequences together.
Maybe it's time to do something seriously out of my ideas?
I think this year will be used to fill holes in my story, so that I can finish my film.
This will mean that I must actively go out into the field and get myself some good recordings.
This will require planning and structure, not my strongest side, a challenge I still want to bet on.
I wish everyone good luck with your New Year's resolutions.
Thanks for the encouragement, Kevin.
Old January 12th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks a lot, Kevin!
Get out and film more, and hopefully make a longer film this year would be cool to accomplish.

Vishal, hope you succeed with your Wildscreen submission. That would be fantastic!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #15
New Boot

My New Year Resolution: Make an entry all by myself to one of the UWOL-contests.
Hege Johansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge