UWOL 37 - "Distractions and Dangers" by Andrew Hood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old March 3rd, 2016, 09:45 PM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 37 - "Distractions and Dangers" by Andrew Hood

Well I struggled with this from the start. So open a theme, yet overwhelmed by all the possibilities. I did have a moderately formed idea, but I knew it would take way too much time and difficult shots to pull it off. Then I struggled to find something within the ability to pull it off in about a week. I scripted another one, but it hinged of having the right people available. So it ended up a last ditch effort to stay out of the shark tank.

I can partly blame my foot still being sore on not getting out as much, and for that reason I left the tripod at home and just used the shoulder rig - experimenting with how I can move the camera (not as easy as I had hoped - might need counterweights at the back for balance/stability and to print a custom shoulder pad). Still shakier than I would like, but the alternative was to show nothing, or risk making the foot worse. Just a pity I didn't have it setup and rolling when I needed it - packed in the bag for easy transport. I contemplated using the steadycam, but I need to find the release plate, and balance it properly. I also have [parts for a slider I haven't assembled yet. Too many things not getting finished or utilised.

And I'm a bit late organising this thread - between doing photos/filming for a theatre show, and more things going wrong with the printer I keep finding distractions. Where are my priorities? In the shark tank maybe.

Let me know your thoughts, and any tips on using gear. To me it feels like a big drop from what I should be able to make; the rushed execution of a half-baked idea. Note to self: decide on idea earlier, film earlier, leave time to edit and craft a story.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 37 - "Distractions and Dangers" by Andrew Hood

Hi Andrew,

That 3D printer was really cool. Loved the sign you made!

To keep the camera steady when filming handheld, can be a real challenge, especially if you zoom in.
I do that often myself too.
Did you use any onboard image stabilizer in the camera? That helps a lot.
Also in Premiere Pro there is a "warp stabilizer" which does a great job. Probably similar functions in the other NLEs too.

Some shots were a little too bright, and details in the green leaves were blown out. I would have reduced the highlights a bit, or maybe also the exposure.

Thanks for sharing. I look forward to see what you come up with next time.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Andrew,

Most importantly you submitted an entry.

My son and family live near Adelaide, so I am aware of the dangers and problems these fellows pose. At Least you are unscathed and hopefully we can look forward to one your wonderful entries next round.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hood View Post
Note to self: decide on idea earlier, film earlier, leave time to edit and craft a story.
Hi Andrew! Life happens and it's amazing all considered that you posted anything and are out of the shark tank. Splendid! Concerning your foot, I haven't caught the news and am out of the loop as to what happened. On the mend hopefully?

Tech answers on gear is not my strongpoint so I'll leave that conversation to someone else.

I completely agree with your note to self. This theme was really hard and to me, absolutely demanded hitting the ground running from the start. More times than not the themes give a little more room for wiggle and talented filmmakers like yourself can get away with a last-minute effort. Not this time, and those with a last-minute effort felt the pinch this time!

Until next time! And cool, 3D printer? I can't wrap my mind around how they work and what they do. Are we going to see 3D printer work in your future films? That would be a stunner, I think.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge