UWOL 40 -A Postcard For You - by Gordon Hoffman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old November 1st, 2016, 07:05 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 40 -A Postcard For You - by Gordon Hoffman

Well I made it. All footage shot on Sunday and slapped together last night. I was doing the final render, for the third time, after 11:30 last night so it was close.
I didn't have any real plan so it was kind of flying by the seat of my pants putting it together. Watching it this morning I see some shots that may be a little to short and some mistakes with my text. I really have got to put more time into doing this.
Cameras were the GH 3 & 4 and the GoPro 2 & 3. The gravel roads really challenged my mounting system and being in a rush I did a lot of handheld, leaning on what ever I could. Mercalli got a work out.
Anyways hammer away and thanks for watching.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 04:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 40 -A Postcard For You - by Gordon Hoffman

Hi Gordon

Your landscape is very similar to what we have here in Norway. I felt right at home, as usual when watching your films. You even have a few of the cracks in the road surface, like we have, haha.
Yes, as you mentioned, a few shots could have been a bit longer, but that's just a minor detail.

The bird shot at 0:51: I wish you had zoomed a little out to include the bird's feet in the picture. As an alternative, I would have got an even more close up of the bird. Easier said than done, I know, but as it is now, it felt as the framing wasn't optimal.

The landscape at 1:04: Once upon a time I learned in a photo class to "never" have the horizon in the middle of the frame. In this particular shot, I would have included more of the ground and less of the sky. That way you would have even more depth in the frame, from the close grass hill, to the distant spectacular steep mountains. (Or the opposite, include more sky to make the mountains appear closer).

Nice to see you found some wildlife too. Is that a wolf at 1:37?

Well done! Thanks for sharing your world.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Trond points well taken. The sad part is the shot is there it was my bad at re framing it in the smaller window. I need to use the editing program more often so I can remember how to do things. It should of been easy to do but I couldn't get it to show live on screen as I was moving and resizing it. With time running out I was just happy if something showed up in the smaller window. I've got it figured out now!
Thanks for the feed back.

Gordon
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Trond that was a coyote.

Gordon
Old November 4th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Very nice film Gordon,
Music suited it grand, the theme was there and I liked that there was a story of sorts, a beginning, a middle and an end.
For someone like me who knows little about wildlife etc. it might have been nice to name what creatures I was viewing.
I don't understand why you had the video windowed. it cut down the amount of screen real estate available! you could have just overlaid the text perhaps at the bottom of the screen like a ticker-tape. other than that it was excellent, you handholding is a lot better than mine!

:-)

Rob
Old November 5th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman View Post
Trond points well taken. The sad part is the shot is there it was my bad at re framing it in the smaller window...
Another thing you might consider, would be to reduce the size of the grey frame you used. This could have helped you. Or as Rob suggests, just remove the frame and use text overlay, is another option.
But I understand you used the frames to make the "postcard look," which of course is fine too. I liked it.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Rob the reason I use the window was to give a postcard look. I guess I failed there. Believe me I used Mercalli on a fair number of my shots. Thanks.

Gordon
Old November 5th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Trond I had considered coming out to full screen but felt it would lose the idea of a postcard. I think a couple of things that could help me is to allow myself more time to edit the video and to use the program a little more often so I can remember how to use it. I looked and the last video I edited on it was last November's UWOL. Thanks.

Gordon
Old November 9th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #9
Wrangler

Lovely footage, as always, Gordon! The elk scenes took my breath away, primarily because of the overall look with the ghostly trees in the background. Well done, and congratulations on producing the top film this round!
Old November 10th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Lorinda. Very much appreciated.

Gordon
Old December 7th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Gordon,

Been a while sense I seen your videos. this is a real fine video. Im particularly fond of the ruffed grouse shot
Would have loved a closer shot of the big horn sheep!!

the elk are awesome.

I loved the end with the coyote and the road running backwards, great job. just first flass.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge