UWOL42 - Evaluation of the extended timeframe - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old May 16th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL42 - Evaluation of the extended timeframe

Thanks, Kevin and Andrew. I appreciate your comments.

I agree the mid challenge feedback can make the final outcome less of a surprise. But to me, that's just a minor detail. The ultimate goal is to give a hand for those who might struggle with their projects. (And the mid challenge feedback is of course only optional, not mandatory)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:01 AM   #17
Major Player

Andrew wrote, "My biggest issue is normally being indecisive about how I'll use the theme and the film I'll make."

I've faced the same challenge myself. (I'm certain my problem is a lack of creativity compared to others here!)

I love that the next one will also be a 2-month challenge, but I have a suggestion and I'd be curious to hear what others say.

How about the next theme is simply no theme at all? This would open it up to the best creative piece that each of us could come up with in that time with no restrictions to apply a vision to a presscribed theme. June and July are summer months with generally good weather for most, if not all, of us and are often vacation times, too, allowing for even more chances for unlimited creativity.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Murray View Post
June and July are summer months with generally good weather for most, if not all, of us and are often vacation times, too, allowing for even more chances for unlimited creativity.
For the Australian, South African, and others in the southern hemisphere, this is winter.
All themes must always be independent of seasons.

The "no theme" idea, is like the concept of the "fun shoots" I have run unofficially in between the regular challenges, once in a while in the past. Won't happen for the June/July challenge, but who knows what the future brings.
Might combinate it with another suggestion of allowing previously shot footage, sometime.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #19
Major Player

That all makes sense. Thanks for the comments, Trond. That was why I commented -- I love to hear ideas from others especially when I learn to see things from different perspectives.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by my comment about the summer. I thought participants have been from the northern hemisphere in the past, but should have checked before I wrote. I apologize for that. I certainly didn't intend to slight my friends from the other half of the globe. (In fact, I'll be in the southern hemisphere for most of June.)

Thanks for all that you do to keep this challenge going, Trond. Your work is appreciated.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:37 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Don't worry about offending with seasonal comments. No one can expect everyone to think of all details. :)
Most players are from north of Equator, but some are down under as well. I think the only parts of the world where we still haven't had any players, are Antarctica and Central America.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge