Judging Timeline and, have you considered this lately? ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 8th, 2018, 10:47 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Judging Timeline and, have you considered this lately? ...

Stunning Vishal! I stand corrected. Kevin isn't the only contributor to UWOL with wolf footage in the wild. I'm thankful you have no hard feelings. I wish I could have a poster of this image in my home, wow.

Sincerely,
Cat

Bryce, I think your idea on climate change is a good one. It's a challenging topic to take on, to show how climate change is affecting wildlife around the globe.

Vishal, the idea of regional birds is good too.

Last edited by Catherine Russell; February 8th, 2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: A second thought.
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:03 AM   #17
Major Player

Just a thought maybe we start off with a simple 1-2 min bio edit, we do not have to be seen in it but would be nice to see each of us even if just a still, from our locations around the world outlining what we can each contribute to the film and then build the film from there. For example Kevin could produce something along the lines of his night filming then the narration would go on to say something like meanwhile Vishal in India is about to embark on a 10 day trip to film wolves then show the wolves and the making off. Bob maybe on another of his trips, so on and so forth finally bringing it altogether with words and film showing that although we are from all over the world our love of nature and the environment has brought us altogether as one!
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #18
Trustee

"I don't think we have to be targeting to do a film for a film festival yet but more to see if we can pull off an idea. But hey if it works out all the better.

Gordon"

Good point. Perhaps the first thing to do is to work out the logistical hurdles first, like in the UWOL "off season" before the next challenge you figure out how to share your video clips, how to edit different film formats together (for the editors of the group), and produce a final product with VO, etc. Even if it's a few minutes of material for the group to analyze and learn from.

Cat
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:18 PM   #19
Trustee

I could be interested joining a collaborative film too
Could be interesting to see if it is possible to make something together as a group. As other have already said maybe try something small first just to try out this idea?

There could be many themes to try out, global climate change will be something we all will be affected of. Maybe how climate change can affect our local wildlife and make a film based on this?
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:25 PM   #20
Trustee

UNITED UWOL FILM (this is not a film title).

I have previously signaled that I welcome a UWOL movie.
There is one thing to keep in mind, wildlife movie is a narrow field and there are many to compete with.
I mean there are some questions each individual has to ask himself.

here is my questions, which I think are important:

1) What makes us special?
My answer:
It's the way we work together. We are international and meet only on the web, (except once in Bristol) and it makes us very special. This is not only about wildlife, but also about us.

2) How can we show this in a unique way?
My answer:
My idea is that anyone who wants to join in, make one sequence/story each.
We have to decide what length of time we are going to put on.
Regular program time in Scandinavia is 20, 25, 40 or 45 minutes. If we are ten people, it will be about 4 minutes each, for a 40 minute program.

3) What are we going to film?
My answer:
We present our own wishes, which must be realistic within a given deadline. And we should listen to good advice from our friends in UWOL. Perhaps there are many who can use existing material?

4) How should we tie all the pieces together?
My answer:
Maybe this is the most interesting thing (?). It will be tied together by an eminent and unique voice (read; a person named Bob). Scripts must be written and everyone can help. And again; the unique about us - is us together :)

5) What about final editing?
My answer:
We choose one or two of us to finalize the movie. We must also agree on the format, etc.

Well, this is my idea for a UWOL wildlife movie and I do not think it has been done this way before.
There has been collaboration of many kinds in charge by large companies like the BBC etc, but not of such a format as we speak of professional "amateurs" like us. As I saif earlier, the wildlife is important, but the special is the way we work together. We can all have different kind of topics, it's how we tie it all together that counts in the end.
Anyway, this is my idea :)
Old February 9th, 2018, 01:38 AM   #21
Major Player

Geir Inge,
I think you have put it together nicely.

Guess we may have a way.
First we see who all is participating, based on that we have regions that are represented , once we have that we may be able to find a topic,
For Example we have a bird which breeds in a area where we have some of our participants and migrates to some other area where we have some other players who can film and might be there is a also a scope for filming passage migration at some area, this is just a hypothetical example but may define a structure.

We have a great voice for our film - Bob so we have one thing fixed right at the start :)

yes participants can contribute in multiple ways like putting together a story, editing, writing voiceover script, choosing music, we have so many talented folks here and yes you know it may be one reason when people who are no longer active can get active here.

Just a thought.
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:26 AM   #22
Trustee

Probably the most successful collaborative films I’ve seen are a day in the life series.
Everyone went out on a single day and submitted footage from that 24 hour period.

I think we as filmmakers have the ability to bring awareness and possibly change with what we do.

I’m game for anything.
Old February 9th, 2018, 06:51 AM   #23
Trustee

Another idea is to film animals that are iconic to our specific regions. For instance, here in Colorado as the Wild West, nothing depicts that more than a vast herd of Bison roaming the open plains and valleys. Collaboratively, we would profile diversity and how vastly different our natural worlds are.

Cat
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:32 AM   #24
Major Player

I like the idea. I think keeping the first project simple would greatly help. And obviously there's a lot to figure out with people using different formats, resolutions?, transferring large files, etc... although I will say since getting NBN (Aus version of VDSL, Fibre to the node) uploads are waaay faster for me. So moving the files isn't so much an issue as maybe needing an FTP server setup by someone (whoever is editing) to upload the footage to.
But certainly delegating tasks would make it achievable. Someone could work on the intro and titles, someone else handle credits for instance.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge