Suggestion? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old April 6th, 2018, 02:47 AM   #1
Trustee

Suggestion?

Could it be an idea to change one of the rules a bit - No. 5?
We have a maximum limit of 4 minutes per video, something I think is a straightforward length.
Nevertheless, wildlife films can be a real challenge - especially when we have a deadline to hold.
Some topics may be more challenging than others. We, who are in UWOL, live scattered around the globe.
This can cause someone to have more challenges than others, depending on what the theme is and where they live.
I have a concrete proposal for change:
What if we allow 15 seconds per minute movie, which is of one's own old recordings.
If you have passed 1 minute movie, it may include 15 second older recordings.
Passed 2 minutes movie = 30 seconds, 3 minutes = 45 seconds and 4 minutes = 60 seconds.
I think it will increase the ability to complete movies and maybe more people join the final round.
Of course, we must announce what is of older recordings. Nor can they be used earlier in UWOL.
Well, that's my suggestion :)

Cheers!
Old April 6th, 2018, 04:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Suggestion?

Geir, I think it is a great idea, especially for those of us that live in cities and must find time to travel to locations to film. Every wildlife or nature video you see on TV contains some "stock footage" I feel that as long as it is OUR OWN original footage we should be able to use it. Case in point, in my last video, I needed a shot of a rocket launch. I didn't have the time to drive down to the Kennedy Space Center for a launch (which may or may not happen), but I did have footage of a Space Shuttle launch I filmed years ago. Yes, as long as it is our footage, that we shot, then by all means we should be able to use it. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Major Player

I like the ideas suggested and would happily support them but that would alter the whole concept of the challenges as it stands, that is being able to FILM and PRODUCE a new film in a given time frame.

Because we are now limited to a regular group who's interest is filming fauna, flora, travel. night skies etc I would favour doing away with filming NEW content and substitute that with producing a 4 minute original film from footage that the entrant owns the copyright of, and has not been used in any other UWOL challenge.

Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 10:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I have held Mick's opinion for many years, but have always been afraid to open my mouth. Thanks, Mick.

If memory serves me, the UWOL format was originally meant to mimic the DV Challenge, but for wildlife. That was in 2006. Our skills and our equipment have improved by leaps and bounds since then, and our interests have changed,too. I got tired of filming the same subjects over and over again, trying to make them look like something new that fit the theme by being imaginative with my story lines. It's a hazard of having to get it all in in a few weeks, usually near home.

I would be surprised if UWOLers didn't welcome the opportunity to show their best stuff, their changing stuff, to a group of friends with valuable opinions and perspectives. After all these years there is still no forum for wildlife videographers to show their material, and to learn, the way photographers do on so many websites. Maybe UWOL could fill that niche.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Any ideas and suggestions are always welcome.

However, I am not sure if allowing more "old footage" into the uwol challenges, is a step in the right direction. It takes away, at least partly, the purpose and goal of uwol, which is to make every player, both new and old, a better film maker.

I am fully aware that it is a challenge itself just to find time, location and subjects to film within the given time frame, depending of several factors, where you live and so on...

What I am open to try, is to once in a while have a challenge with a little more flexible limits for "previously shot footage."
Maybe even have a "the best of" theme where we allow more old footage.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2018, 06:18 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree with Trond as for the way the challenge should go. We have had a fun round before which we could use any of our footage in. That could be a possible way of showing footage we have that never makes it into a challenge. It could also allows the chance to get some feed back. My thoughts anyway.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2018, 10:51 PM   #7
Major Player

I think the idea is interesting and can help in constructing amazing films.

People who shoot some wildlife over a longer period of time may actually be able to use the older footage and give a great flow to the story, Also there are other possibilities that may spring up due to this which will help film makers to make more creative choices.

I do feel its a brilliant suggestion Geir Inge and surely worth considering , may be we can have a poll for this .
Old April 29th, 2018, 09:17 AM   #8
Major Player

If it's only a limited amount then it still requires you go out and get a lot of new footage. And I do agree that is the point of the challenge, worthwhile considering the options though.

Or we have the occasional round where any footage you have personally shot is usable - that could work. I'd probably be motivated to go places in between rounds, when I'm not actively filming a UWOL entry, and collect my own stock footage, knowing I could use it in a future round. Could certainly capture things I don't have time for during a round, or only happen at specific times of the year/month, specific whether conditions, etc... Like training during UWOL 'off-season'.
Andrew Hood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge