UWOL 54 - Tales of wonders and woes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 27th, 2020, 12:01 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: UWOL 54 - Tales of wonders and woes

I'm curious if it's difficult for all of you to deal with color correctly. Or is it just me. ;)

I've shot so many different locations this month in all kinds of lighting, times if day, altitude, cloudy/sunny/dark environments, etc. I've been frustrated and will probably not worry about it as much as I should since this is the last week, but I'd like to do better and mixing so many lighting types into a single short project is driving me crazy.

I'm getting a lot better at sound, but I still have to deal with the dreaded VO this week.

Doing it all in DaVinci Resolve which I just started working with isn't making it any easier. What do you use to do your editing?

Hope everyone's projects are coming along well. Can't wait to see what you come up!
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 08:31 AM   #17
Major Player

Phil it's not just you. I have trouble with it also as a lot of my stuff is also shot under different conditions and times of day. I shoot when I can get a chance to and at this time of year it could be all white one day and more brown the next, sunny, cloudy, windy, raining, snowing, above freezing or bitterly cold like it was for a week, ten days ago. I think that's pretty well what it's been like this month. I'm sure I could use more of the stuff I shoot if I knew what I was doing.
I use Edius for editing and it works with my laptop. I've played around with DaVinci Resolve some and I think I would use it more but 16 doesn't like my laptop and is a bit unstable. I might try an earlier version again as it worked better.
As for my project I'll have to get busy and get some footage. What little I have shot so far is a little to graphic for UWOL .

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 05:52 PM   #18
Trustee

Phil. I shoot on the Canon XF705 in 4K HEVC and do my color correction in DaVinci 15 and render the videos as individual clips. After that I move those individual clips into Vegas pro 15 for final editing and then rendering to 1920x1080.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2020, 11:23 AM   #19
Major Player

It's time to start editing and hope I have enough shots to put together something remotely resembling s story, though it's likely going to more of a theme than a real story. I've figured how to get acceptable sound -- not good, but usable -- to add a VO track in Resolve. Like everything, it's completely different from what I'm used to in Premiere Pro, but it's really not too difficult. Thank goodness for YouTube tutorials!

Gordon -- You're making things sound so much better down here! I've actually been lucky as the rainy season was unusually bad during November and December, but unusually light this month which made it a LOT easier to get out. I have been to the Machu Picchu area twice this month and have had exceptionally good weather to film both at MP and in the surrounding rainforest. Even in the winter, I don't have to deal with the tremendous weather challenges that you must face.

I'm really curious to know what you shot that is "a little too graphic" for UWOL!

I've been lucky with Resolve. My laptop is almost 2 years old now, but I bought a pretty decent one before I moved here knowing I would need it for video editing. The only crash I've had so far was likely due to not doing a fresh reboot before starting to work. I don't do anything needing much, though I'm surprised Resolve allows me to edit in 4k raw without a hiccup.

Bob -- I thought about going back and forth between the two editing programs I have, but I've had some real crash problems with Premiere Pro and don't want to deal with that at the last minute. I'm finding DaVinci to be really stable and works well with raw 4k files.

I'm curious why you render to HD instead of 4k? I know most people still watch streamed video in HD, but I hate to lose the resolution. I'm going to render to both this time and see what they look like. Probably the HD will look just fine, of course.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 06:07 AM   #20
Major Player

I climbed out of the Shark Tank this time. My entry has been submitted. I'm really looking forward to seeing what all of you have done this month.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 07:45 AM   #21
Major Player

Way to go Phil. Hopefully I can put something together today. My footage is all over the map so it will be a challenge. As for what I thought was a little to graphic for UWOL was the coyotes pulled a deer down on the ice on the creek. With the ice surface being white in colour the patches of blood really stand out.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 09:20 AM   #22
Major Player

I hope you can get something put together today. Mine was all over the map, too -- literally. I did a ton of hiking in some really cool places this month. Thank goodness the weather was unusually dry. Carrying a lot of equipment including a heavy tripod wore me out more than once.

I've been shooting on a large Blackmagic BMPCC 4k. When I finished up last night I put it in my bag to forget for awhile. This morning I picked up my Canon DSLR and it felt so tiny in my hands! It's photography for me for a week or two now so I don't have to carry so much around.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 01:18 PM   #23
Inner Circle

A few entries submitted so far.
If you think you might make it, but haven't received the upload details yet, hurry up and send a quick email to uwol@dvinfo.net.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 07:25 PM   #24
Major Player

Well Vimeo says they have it. Hopefully it will work for Trond.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge