UWOL 55 PART 2 - Tales of wonders and woes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old August 20th, 2020, 03:15 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 55 PART 2 - Tales of wonders and woes

Thanks, Bob.

Here in Norway, we are free to travel wherever we want domestically, but advised not to cross the border, unless it is necessary. I guess we are lucky, compared to many other countries, even though the covid19 numbers are on the rise here too. I fear we see the beginning of the second big wave in Europe.

I'll announce tomorrow what we do with the current challenge. Suspending uwol is an option I think of.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2020, 07:02 AM   #17
Major Player

We went back under quarantine in the Cusco area on August 1 for the month, but most places are closed. It's often hard to even walk up into the mountains behind my home because almost every small village is closed off to prevent outsiders from bringing in COVID.

I had pretty much given up on getting something done before the end of the month, but I might be able to put something together using some footage I was able to shoot one day last month when we were technically free from quarantine. Techniocally, I'm not supposed to be filming at all, but no one's into the mountains to know and, of course, up there, there's no chance of catching or spreading anything. The hardest part is I have climb 300 meters every time just to get out of the city! Travel outside the city is closed off and no one really knows what's coming next.

I've also been really busy as I've become the unofficial news source for expats as well as foreigner who want to keep up with what's going on in Peru. It started out back in March as a report for me friends back in the US and has grown into something really big so I spend quite a few hours each day on it.

It's possible I've already had COVID. Looking back I might have had some very minor symptoms a couple of weeks ago. Of course,without testing I don't know, but all along I am extremely careful to avoid contact with others so I might share anything I had without realizing it.

I hope everyone and your families are all doing well and staying safe. I think it will be very interesting to see what you can create under these challenging circumstances.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2020, 02:55 AM   #18
Major Player

Just thought Trond, rather than cancel UWOl 55 why not suspend the the closing date idenfinatly until a suitable safe time time and open up the theme from the current one to " UWOL During Covid" or something similar and allow anything filmed since March to be used illustrate life of a UWOLer during this period.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2020, 03:52 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Mick, that is a great idea. Been thinking a lot today about what to do and how to best keep UWOL going through this pandemic, and how to keep it as fair as possible.

An "UWOL through corona" will be more or less a free theme, which let those who already have filmed something, use that too. That is a major factor for me.

I'll post the details in the theme release thread.

UWOL challenge 55-2 deadline is suspended, effective immediately.
Old August 22nd, 2020, 04:19 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Here in Ireland (Rep) we are still free to travel at the moment but some counties are in quarantine at the moment. I was temping to get some footage of an old house and farm sheds and was stopped by a local asking was part of the group going around lifting dogs. (we have a had a lot of dogs all over Ireland being stolen. I have left my idea for now but have a new one which I may be able to do as I know the owners of the land I need to access for this idea. Now with the deadline gone I may get time to do it.

I hope every one here is keeping well and look after yourself
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2020, 02:40 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Oh darn,
Im actually cutting 6 minuters down today. had some editing trouble (am I rusty) went to vegas forum for advice and thought Id pop in here and just read the news!

Well it does give me a chance to upgrade my footage and that aint so bad.

An open theme is a great idea but how to keep things under 3 minutes, Hum?

It is fun to be back at it after such a long break.

Shoulder doing well, glad I have a tripod.

Hang tuff everyone!
Old August 24th, 2020, 03:10 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Dale, the time limit is 4 minutes these days. :)
Old August 25th, 2020, 07:32 AM   #23
Trustee

Hi guys.
This covid-19 virus more or less drives the whole world in a quarantine mode.
It is good that we have UWOL that has its own boundaries, where we can practically meet virtually.
I work in the health care system, where many of us when it comes to travel/leisure travel, have limits and limitations in relation to this pandemic.
It has gradually become easier, especially domestically to travel. That way, there have been some domestic trips, spring and summer.
Because it has been holiday time for my wife and me, I promised to leave the camcorder at home, as we were also celebrating our 31st wedding anniversary.
Still, I took my GoPro 8 and of course my cell phone, so there were some recordings with these. In between all the trips I have made some recordings with my camcorder.
Occasional recordings have been made from March to now, and there will probably more recordings as this round is expanded.
I had a working title for my contribution, "Mountain hikes - discovering my own country".
I have walked a lot in the mountains this spring and summer and then there was a lot of photography and shooting, as I said with gopro and my cell phone.
We'll see how the result ends up, you do not have to change focus even if the subject has changed.
What I think, it's hard to put together/edit a 4 min film from a periodic recording time of several months.
I just have to keep reminding myself that Uwol is a challenge :)

Hope you all are doing well, these are tough times for many in our vulnerable world.
My wife's cousin lost her husband in this pandemic, so it's affecting most of us in some way or another.
Dale and Kevin: Good luck with surgery and recovery.
Mick and Phil: I look forward to seeing your films about mammals (in Britain I guess) and jungle adventures from Machu Picchu.
Thank you Trond for being who you are.
Take care of each other.

The attached picture is from Jotunheimen, a mountain area in Norway.
Attached Thumbnails
UWOL 55 PART 2 - Tales of wonders and woes-gibb-mountains.jpg  
Old August 25th, 2020, 07:45 AM   #24
Inner Circle

To those of you who (more or less) have made your films: It is perfectly fine to keep them, even though the theme has changed into a very open/free theme.

Once in a while I get questions or see comments, about the 4 minute limit. Remember that it is just that, a maximum lenght limit. We do not have any minimum time requirements in UWOL.

This year has definitely been unusual and a challenge in every aspects.
My goal is to set a deadline within the next few months, but who knows how the pandemic develops, so the key word is flexible. Even that can be a challenge.

There will be at least 3 weeks notice when the new deadline is set.
Old September 21st, 2020, 03:01 PM   #25
Major Player

Hi Everyone,
Hope your all well. So what's happening with UWOL. I was hoping to take part but I live on the cost in a town that relies on tourism. So while out of lockdown the town has been full of people who don't care and can't social distance. I've stayed away and watch more terrible day time tv.

I was hoping now the tourists have gone I can get out more, but it looks like the UK is going back into lockdown as infection rate rises again, we'll find out more over the next few days what restrictions will be in place.

Is everyone finding it tuff to get out and be safe?
Mark Hartopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2020, 03:06 PM   #26
Inner Circle

I have suspended UWOL challenge until further notice, due to the corona developments.
Several places around the world have restrictions which, makes it more or less difficult to go out and film for UWOL.

I hope we can re-launch UWOL later this year.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge