If you build it they will come-UWOL #58 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old June 21st, 2021, 10:12 AM   #1
Trustee

If you build it they will come-UWOL #58

I have to apologies for the poor quality of this video. My editing program went down and I attempted to do all the editing and rendering in DaVinci Resolve and I am afraid my old computer just wasn't up to the task. So that being said, I hope you enjoy the gift of my yard. Bob

Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2021, 08:47 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: If you build it they will come-UWOL #58

Hi Bob,

Look at that backyard! All the different birds and other animals you got there. Fantastic!
You must have used quite a time to set up all those bird feeders and everything.
Filmed with the XF705? Very sharp picture and clear colors. Nice!

Well done, I enjoyed watching.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2021, 05:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm going to be honest right from the start. When it started I thought I was really going to be bored. Backyard videos about backyard critters don't interest me at all.

Needless to say, you took something I had no interest in watching and kept me glued to the TV throughout -- so much that I watched it several more times. You had so many really great shots, but a few birds alone wouldn't have been enough to keep me watching as it's just personally not that interesting to me.

I was enthralled by how you made it all into an extremely interesting story that highlighted the nature that we usually take for granted and never stop to observe. Because of your narration and one amazing shot after another, I couldn't take my eyes away from the screen and found myself wanting to see more.

You have an amazing eye for taking what might seem not very important and showing the power of little things like birds eating or the feeding of a baby bird or the display of the anole.

I probably would have left out the last scene of the Atlanta skyline, but that's minor considering how great this piece was. (I really liked how the ambient sounds blended in perfectly to be almost unnoticeable, yet played a key part in drawing the viewer into your backyard world, too.)
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2021, 07:04 AM   #4
Trustee

Hi Bob.
First I have to praise your genuine ability to make a story.
You have your very own way of describing what we see in your films.
You make it exciting and I think, with hand on my heart, that I have never stopped any of your films.
I have to see it finished, because what comes next?
That's how it was with this film too, you weave the story around what we see without getting boring.
It has been mentioned before in this forum regarding your voice, it is unique.
The variety in birds is phenomenal, some of them known from before, others not so well known.
That you also have lizards and squirrels that clean up the mess is an enjoyable twist.
I see in another post in this forum that you are going to travel to Iceland and wish you a good trip.
Then I want to thank you for sharing your skills with us.
All the best and stay safe.

Geir Inge
Old June 24th, 2021, 01:26 PM   #5
Trustee

Thank you all for the comments. I have always tried to weave in a story line. Sometimes I don't know what the story will be until I am well into videoing the shots. I have come to realize that every time I pick up my camcorder I learn something new, not only about using this incredible camcorder, but also about improving my shooting and editing. I may not have the stunning scenery of Norway, nor the spectacular jungles of Peru, but like I said in a previous challenge, "Wildlife is where you find it". I think it was best said by the old TV news show "On the Road" with Charles Kuralt, he once said "just get out there, and the story will find you". I have been submitting challenges since UWOL#1 and I have truly enjoyed meeting everyone and watching all your videos from all over the world. Plus, DAMN IT'S FUN!!!

Phil, the reason I included that last shot of Atlanta was to emphasize the fact that I really do live in the heart of the city and yet wildlife is all around me. Ya'll stay safe now, ya hear, (that's southern for thank you). Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; June 25th, 2021 at 04:47 AM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2021, 02:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
Wildlife is where you find it.....

I have been submitting challenges since UWOL#1 and I have truly enjoyed meeting everyone and watching all your videos from all over the world.

Plus, DAMN IT'S FUN!!!
Exactly! Sometimes it is easy to forget that wildlife is much more than a bear or wolf or any other big animals.
I missed the signup for UWOL#1, but been part of UWOL both before it started and ever since. Biggest motivation is it is fun, and meeting everyone of you, either online or face to face.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge