UWOL#59-Man's encounters with the Forces of Nature at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old October 4th, 2021, 06:53 AM   #1
Trustee

UWOL#59-Man's encounters with the Forces of Nature

This was an interesting challenge for me. My mind went in several directions before I settled on this. I have lived in Georgia for 35 years and although Providence Canyon is less that a 2 hour drive this was the first time I have ever visited it. The canyon was formed due to poor farming practices on loose sandy soil conbined with the forces of wind and water caused the erosion we see today. The three clips of the waterwheel, windmills and geysers were shot earlier but I needed them to build the story. The three stills of hurricane damage were shots I took while on response duty to Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina, and the four stills of historic farming and early erosion were from the Georgia Historic Society. These challenges continue to test my abilities as well as lead me to new places that I should have visited before. Enjoy. Bob

Last edited by Bob Safay; October 4th, 2021 at 10:21 AM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2021, 11:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: UWOL#59-Man's encounters with the Forces of Nature

Hi Bob.
Congratulations on completing Uwol # 59.
You have made a fantastic film where you portray a lot during the minutes you have available.
I envy you the ability you have to weave a story together.
It is informative and neat, never boring and it is completely in line with the theme.
A few shaky clips but it just spices up the film.
At 1.34 you have a great way to go from black / white to color when filming in the canyon.
Maybe it ends a little too abruptly?
I just wish it lasted a little longer.

Thanks for sharing.
Old October 4th, 2021, 12:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice film, Bob!
You have a good way to tell your story, which is combined very well with the visuals. Great filming as usual!
I also liked the transition from black&white to colors.
As already mentioned, this film could easily have been longer without any boring moments. I enjoyed watching!
Well done!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2021, 10:08 AM   #4
Trustee

Thank you both for the comments and inputs. These challenges have really allowed me to push myself and to become more creative in my story telling. I envy the both of you those drone shots. I have often considered buying one, but there are so many restrictions on where you can fly them. I can't wait for the next challenge, I will be in the middle of a two week road trip when the theme is announced. Safe travels, Bob
Old October 5th, 2021, 10:21 AM   #5
Inner Circle

We have more and more restrictions for flying drones here too. But they are easy to fly and really helps getting those impossible shots.
Have fun with your roadtrip!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2021, 12:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Bob. Great entry with a good story line. Do wish however that you would use that great Sachtler tripod of yours. As pointed out some of the shots are bit shaky, likewise it would have also smoothed out some of the pans. At the end would like you to have emphasised more the achievement of it becoming a NP. The narration at that point tends to lower rather than rise to a fanfare. Having said that did enjoy watching watching. Hopefully I will be back in the fray next round.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2021, 11:32 AM   #7
Trustee

Mick, thanks for the comments. I went back and looked at some of the shaky clips. I think some of those had to be hand held. But your right, I could have fixed that in DaVinci. Hope you can make the next round. Stay safe, Bob
Old October 25th, 2021, 08:51 AM   #8
Major Player

As always, Bob, you have an ability to tell a story -- especially in the first half of this film -- that is truly a gift. I get drawn into all your works -- not just this one -- perhaps more with the story itself than with the filming. That's what sets your work apart as you take things I could never imagine as really interesting and yet you grab my attention nd hold it all the way through. That's a talent that I really admire and it shows again in this film.

When I saw the thumbnail, it really looked like some place out west. I have no idea there was such a place like that in Georgia.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge