UWOL 61 An Eye for Detail at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old February 1st, 2022, 07:39 AM   #1
Major Player

UWOL 61 An Eye for Detail

Hi all, sorry that this entry does not include drones, unfortunately I nearly didn't complete and entry this round as circumstances conspired against me. With less than a week to go I had all but given up .I was looking at some of my days footage and noticed how some times you could see the female teals brightly coloured speculum feathers and at other times they were hidden. I then wrote a script around this fact expanding into genral oberservations of details.

This entry consists of approximately 50% footage filmed during the challenge month and the rest added to fit the script.

If this is pushng the spirit of the rules then please consider the entry for comments only.

Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2022, 11:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UWOL 61 An Eye for Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner View Post
This entry consists of approximately 50% footage filmed during the challenge month and the rest added to fit the script.

If this is pushng the spirit of the rules then please consider the entry for comments only.
Hi Mick, I'm approving this one.

For future reference to everyone:
Sometimes bending the rules a little, is okay. It will be considered case by case. In general: If you are wondering if your film will be allowed or not, I prefer to get the question before deadline. (This has been done many times in the past). Sometimes a review of the footage is required, sometimes not.

Also notice that the 4 minute limit is only a maximum duration. We do not have a minimum required duration of your films.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2022, 12:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Nice film, Mick!

So many color details the birds have. Some I had never noticed before, like the small green dots on the rear end of the birds at 1:02.

I think your film could improve a little if you had only focused on the birds, and cut away the other footage. Ex the shot at 0:53 and 1:31.

Well done!
Looking forward to see what you can do when you also get a drone. (Watch out, some birds don't like drones and try to attack)
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2022, 06:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Mick, lovely to see such good shots of wildlife - I've recently got myself a long lens and will be trying to shoot more wildlife although it's not as prevalent here (or perhaps it's just that there's so much space, the wildlife is spread out - I'll find out)

The shot of the owl flying was terrific - boy it's hard to follow birds on the ground let alone in flight.
Old February 4th, 2022, 08:45 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Mick, great movie with lots of great birds.
I especially liked the cliffs of the owl.
Is it the peregrine falcon that mates?
You have a good eye for details, thanks for sharing.
Old February 4th, 2022, 08:54 AM   #6
Trustee

I ment to write: I especially liked the shots of the owl.
Old February 5th, 2022, 09:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Mick, I certainly don't mine watching extra clips you shot in the past. With Covid I had to postpone several outings because of restrictions. It looks like your owl in flight clips were a tremendous hit. I also noticed at 0.20 into the video you showed cedar wax wings. Twice a year they migrate through my yard by the hundreds....and man can they leave a mess on my white cars. I enjoyed looking at the detail in the feathers of some of the shorebirds. I really never notice the red in the tail of the male snipe. I enjoyed the variety of wildlife you used, even the little field mice. Very well done, Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2022, 03:54 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi all, thanks for watching, pleased you enjoyed. The pair of peregrines did go on to fledge three chicks. The short eared owls only visit southern parts of the UK during th winter months. more so if Scandinavia has a very cold winter. Some years we have vole eruptions, when they breed well above their normal rate, this also encourages more owls to visit. Likewise waxwings only travel this far south when there are food shortages in northern europe. Paul, I love the variety Aus wildlife .My son lives in Adelaide. When we are over visiting we try and stay a few days on Kangaroo Island.
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2022, 10:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Great job Mick! You not only have an eye for detail, but a talent for capturing and sharing it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge