Restart UWOL - Anyone Interested? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old September 13th, 2023, 02:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Restart UWOL - Anyone Interested?

I'm curious if anyone might be interested in starting up the competition again. I may be wrong, but I don't thin it would take all that much to do it with some tweaks like perhaps posting on your own YouTube channel instead of using a single Vimeo channel.

We could keep things very simple by just saying post a link here by the deadline, vote within seven days, and counting of the votes could rotate or one person could volunteer to do it to keep votes private.

I was thinking about this when things ended last year, but life came along and it was an idea set aside.

Don't know if any of the formerly active people are still around here and would like to comment. There are enough Facebook groups out there to spread the word that it might grow quite a bit. Since it's just for fun, I can't imagine too many groups would consider it spam and it could be promotion for their group as well as bringing more people to this Forum for Chris Hurd was kind enough to host it for so long before.

Any thoughts?
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2023, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Restart UWOL - Anyone Interested?

One more thing I thought of -- how about a name change to something shorter like the "Outdoor Film Challenge"? I always thought UWOL acronym was meaningless except to those who already knew what it meant and the actual name was so long that no one used it.
Phil Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2023, 07:06 PM   #3
Trustee

I think you're right about the name UWOL was okay for those in the know. I think it could still work but a logline would help whatever we call it. maybe something like "filming the natural world".

I'd be keen to have a go again and we could certainly promote it on facebook sites etc but what about listing it on Filmfreeway - a quarterly 'Outdoor Film Challenge' with no fees, no prizes but everyone gets an official entry laurel and the winner gets the best film laurel. that makes it sort of 'official'

There are a growing number of dodgy film festivals out there that are out to make money and nothing else - this festival aims to get people outdoors and practising and improving their skills.

either way, I'm in
Old September 16th, 2023, 02:37 AM   #4
Trustee

looks like it's just the 2 of us - judging will be difficult
Old September 21st, 2023, 04:24 AM   #5
Trustee

You can count me in. I have really missed the challenges and would love to get back into the game. I also agree with the name change. Give it some more time and spread the word. I'm sure others will join up.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2023, 02:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Hello.
I think this is a good idea and agree with Bob Safay.
I have no particular opinion about the name change, but I have missed the challenges.
Old October 8th, 2023, 08:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I would really like to see it get started again. I do miss it and enjoyed participating when I could but also seeing what other members came up with.

If it gets going again-----I'm in.
LeRoy Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:29 AM   #8
Trustee

Maybe we need to move this thread down to the UWOL in Special Interest Area so more people can read it.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2023, 07:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I know I have not been on the forum much as work and other things got in the way.

I did put my name down before when it was running but every time I did work got in the way. I would also be interested if it got going again and this time I hope to get some done.

On another note I have been on a fair few forums and they all seem to be dieng off slowly. It may be sad but its easier to come to a forum and look for info on things or ask questions like I have done a few days ago and be able to come back and find it. I have learned alot from others here and from the entries to the UWOLs challenges here on the forum.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2023, 06:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I obviously haven't been on the forum in a while, almost missed this discussion.

A relaunch of the uwol challenge could be interesting, regardless of the name.
I would probably not be the (only) one behind the scenes, because I lost some motivation earlier, due to the very low number of participants last few years.
But I would definitely participate if it is relaunched.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2023, 07:05 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
Maybe we need to move this thread down to the UWOL in Special Interest Area so more people can read it.
I put a notice in the sticky UWOL thread there, linking to this thread. So I suggest this thread to be used for further discussion.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge