Compression Help: Getting that file to 50mb - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The UWOL Challenge
An organized competition for Under Water, Over Land videographers!

Old January 21st, 2007, 05:18 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Marnell
Well that's uploaded that, then ... it had to be .mov, which is fair enough, if .mov can be played on mac as clearly as .wmv plays back on my pc. Will pc users get feedback on that?
In the absence of feedback I kept fiddling with compression settings and have now uploaded a 33.8Mb file [BirdlifeOver CreteSm_Prog.mov] of exact same video which is now reasonably watchable with Quicktime.

Please delete my original 20Mb file [BirdlifeOverCrete1Mbps_stream.mov].

If anyone is interested ... the new settings under Sorenson Video 3 Pro were as for Sm_Prog after adjusting the Video Data Rate to 1600, the frame size to 320 x 240 and the frame rate to 1:1. Sm_Prog is the last compression option under Quicktime in Sorenson Squeeze 4.3
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM   #17
Trustee

Brendan, I think this has been a real challenge and learing curve to many of us.
Let's do a summing up after this first challenge when everybody has supplied their videos and the prize has been given.
I think when we all have calmed down and the stress is absent we can all give our thoughts and ideas for next challenge.

Anyway I'm very happy that this challenge take place and so many contributes in their own way. I think there's no fasit how to do this and it will be very exciting to view all contributions in the next few days.

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; January 21st, 2007 at 06:15 AM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM   #18
Major Player

The choreography on the Canada Goose video on your website is new to me and great fun; no doubt you were conducting the organist as well if not actually playing the organ. I'm worried about this evidence of musical awareness ... now I don't have the tiniest edge over you in any sphere of videography ... and Grant Sherman is working from a helicopter ... what's left for Paddy? ... the bog I suppose ... lots of compression going on there for sure!
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #19
Trustee

PCs don't play .mov out of the box. Why is that the required extension for this contest? In order for me to conform, a PC user, I have to buy as well as download additional software. What am I missing here?
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #20
Trustee

Am I missing something here? Quicktime is free to download if it hasnt already come bundled with something else....and most editing packages can spit out sorenson3 QT files. Besides we are now accepting mpeg1 and 4 as well.

Look foward to seeing your entry.

Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #21
Trustee

Mat,

I too had a h*ll of a time uploading from a PC base. I almost jumped into the Shark Tank out of frustration. I did render both an mpeg1 and mpeg4 version from Vegas 6d. After trying to upload to the UWOL site, both were rejected because of invalid file extensions. I also tried rendering a .mov file out of Vegas but couldn't get the file size small enough.

I also converted to Sorenson3 via QTPro7 but was unable to get my file to under 50mb (from an 800mb) .avi file. I also tried rendering as a .wmv file first (as this was significantly smaller), but QT would not open a .wmv file.
I also tried converting the .avi to divx first, but QT wouldn't open the divx file.

I ended up uploading the mpeg1 via ftp with Kevin's help.

I know you guys are doing a lot of work on this, and please don't take it the wrong way, but we need some help or direction for PC users (from PC users who've had success).
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #22
Wrangler

i know that we have many PC users, and i would very much love to hear from them, from a PC-centric viewpoint.

we have actually been actively soliciting suggestions from the PC base since the very beginning, and pretty much the contributions have consisted of suggesting that we admit .wmv --and very little input beyond that.

so please please, chime in by all means.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Thompson View Post
Am I missing something here? Quicktime is free to download if it hasnt already come bundled with something else....and most editing packages can spit out sorenson3 QT files. Besides we are now accepting mpeg1 and 4 as well.

Look foward to seeing your entry.

Mat
Yes it is a free download BUT I think Meryem said we didn't want people to have to download additional software to view our projects. If that is the case these should be viewable without MAC OR PC users having to dowload additional software to view. MPG1 is the only thing I can think of, at this moment, that is playable out of the box on PC and MAC. I'll still conform to the rules and am not trying to pitch a fit, BUT how is .MOV cross platform natively?
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #24
Trustee

I'm a PC user, Windows XP.
Got no problems in this matter, Meryem.
I can convert/download/upload/watch etc, in many different codecs.
I'm using Sorenson 4.5 and Windows Media Encoder.
For editing I use Avid Liquid Pro 7.1.
I agreed, though, with those who say Sorenson is expensive to buy.
But I know where "she's" keeping the housewifery, so it all worked out just fine (joke).
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I have much better luck and a much better image in the Windows Media format than I can get in the same size file with QT. Maybe my problem, or it may be I just can't get there. I do know our judge in this contest outputs his material to .wmv format regularly with spectacular results !!
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #26
Trustee

This will be an endless discussion of which format that suit both platforms best.

I'm in the PC-base. My experience is that there are so many NLE's out there which compress in a variety of ways and with many different codecs. It's not possible to find a final solutions for all.
For the time being I'm working on Avid Liquid 7.1, even this software has many different ways to compress the footage to a suitable format.

What I found is that for best quality and small filesize you have to use software that is built for this purpose. All NLE's that I'm aware of in the pc-world don't.
There are "tons" of software (also for free) out there if you do a Google-search for "video web compression".

It's something that says: "you get what you're paying for". Therefore I decided that when I started to put my wildlife films out om my website, I bought a very nice compression suite: Sorenson Squeeze Suit. This is a quite expensive piece of software, but it compress in a speed and with a quality which is breathtaking and lots of compression options.

I'm not telling that you have to pay money to get a good compression tool, but I think you have to use some time searching the net and try out several different software to find what will suit you and your needs best.

In the mac-base I think the solutions are a little easier with only two different NLE's as far as I know, the imovie and final cut
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #27
Trustee

Macs also have Avid and Premiere and a few others I'm sure.
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
This will be an endless discussion of which format that suit both platforms best.

I'm in the PC-base. My experience is that there are so many NLE's out there which compress in a variety of ways and with many different codecs. It's not possible to find a final solutions for all.
For the time being I'm working on Avid Liquid 7.1, even this software has many different ways to compress the footage to a suitable format.

What I found is that for best quality and small filesize you have to use software that is built for this purpose. All NLE's that I'm aware of in the pc-world don't.
There are "tons" of software (also for free) out there if you do a Google-search for "video web compression".

It's something that says: "you get what you're paying for". Therefore I decided that when I started to put my wildlife films out om my website, I bought a very nice compression suite: Sorenson Squeeze Suit. This is a quite expensive piece of software, but it compress in a speed and with a quality which is breathtaking and lots of compression options.

I'm not telling that you have to pay money to get a good compression tool, but I think you have to use some time searching the net and try out several different software to find what will suit you and your needs best.

In the mac-base I think the solutions are a little easier with only two different NLE's as far as I know, the imovie and final cut
Per Johan,

I have checked into the Sorenson Suite since your post (Thanks). While we shouldn't need this for the UWOL Challenge, I am interested in getting the Sorenson Package for encoding for the web. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am intersted to know:

1. how big are those compressed files are on your site. They play beautifully by the way, with no buffering.

2. Does the viewer need to have QT to play them, or do they play with flashplayer as well? (I have both installed).

Thanks, sorry for the off-topic discussion.
Old March 17th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #29
Trustee

Ok guys...Well I'm a PC user /Prem Pro as well just so you don't think I'm talking from the Apple camp, I havent used a mac in years. I haven't had a problem getting 3 minutes in sorenson3 mov format with anything I've done. Sure its probably not a clean and detailed as I would have liked but hey...thems the breaks !!

As far as the uploader goes I can only apologise. It appears at the moment we have issue with server time out of some discription....I will get it resolved, if not for UC2 then soon after!
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #30
Trustee

Mat,

I know that you, Kevin and Meryem are volunteering alot of time on this, and despite our whining, we really appreciate the effort.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > The UWOL Challenge