DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#1 Wind Country by Gordon Hoffman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/84667-uwol-1-wind-country-gordon-hoffman.html)

Gordon Hoffman January 25th, 2007 08:53 AM

Per I suspect Sorenson video 3 (which I assume is a version of Sorenson 3) or how Premiere handles it has a problem (Now that's a brillant conclusion). My lap top is the only machine that has that codec so it may have come from upgrading quicktime. I'll have to play around more to see if I can figure it out. That or invest in better software for compressing files.
Thanks.

Gordon Hoffman

Randall Allen January 25th, 2007 10:13 AM

Gordon:

Great job. Everything fit together so smoothly, that I did not even notice the slightly squished moon. A great work of art.

Randy

Trond Saetre January 25th, 2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman
Per I suspect Sorenson video 3 (which I assume is a version of Sorenson 3) or how Premiere handles it has a problem (Now that's a brillant conclusion). My lap top is the only machine that has that codec so it may have come from upgrading quicktime. I'll have to play around more to see if I can figure it out. That or invest in better software for compressing files.
Thanks.

Gordon Hoffman

Gordon,
I use Premiere Pro 2, and I did a short test today to see if I could replicate your problem.

I encoded as Quicktime and chose Sorenson Video 3,
and I got about the same problem as you did.

My original video was DV 16:9, and the exported .mov appeared as regular 4:3 when viewing in the quicktime player.

I will try to work more on it this weekend to see if I find a solution.

Per Johan Naesje January 25th, 2007 03:16 PM

Excellent Trond! I'm also working on this, hopefully united we can solve this.
Gordon, the Norwegians resque-team are here to help you out :-)

Gordon Hoffman January 25th, 2007 08:22 PM

Trond and Per
Thanks guys. I've been working on this and I think I figured it out. I was using export-movie-sorenson video 3. If I go export-adobe media encoder-sorenson video 3 it seems to work right.
Thanks again.

Gordon Hoffman

Trond Saetre January 25th, 2007 10:34 PM

Sounds very good, Gordon.
Glad you found out of it.

Trond

Chris Barcellos January 25th, 2007 11:21 PM

Gordon: And I thought it was cold in California this year. I could feel that wind blowing through me. Nice job. Loved the moonset timelaps to.

Brendan Marnell January 26th, 2007 01:55 PM

Opening shots were superb and closing with the windswept snow peaks provided fine contrast and a good finish.

Bradley L Marlow January 27th, 2007 01:55 PM

Hi Gordon!

This was great. Do you happen to live along the Rocky Mountains? Much of it reminded me of those.

I noticed 2 shots that had airplane chem-trails (not contrails) in them. Were you making any sort of comment there? Am curious?

Loved that closing shot...almost a dry ice brew feel. Very cool!

Best wishes~
Bradley

Gordon Hoffman January 28th, 2007 09:28 AM

Sorry all I've been a little tardy on replies!

Brian "Ain't Canada Puuurdy....AH"
And I'm a lucky son of a gun with a million dollar view out my kitchen window. I'm glad you stuck with it. Thanks and take care.

Gabriel
I sure hope to have time for the next one as this was fun. Thanks

Randall
Thanks for your feed back. It good to hear that you like how it flowed.

Chris
I believe it was cold in California! A little luck helps in nature stuff. The moon set was done from my yard. Thanks.

Brendan
Some times things turn out better than you think they will. Thanks and much appreciated.

Bradley
Yes I live on the east side of the Rockies.

"I noticed 2 shots that had airplane chem-trails (not contrails) in them. Were you making any sort of comment there? Am curious?"
Not really. I was running out of shots to use.:-)

I've been wanting to get the shot of the clouds pouring over the divide for a long time. Seems like I never have a camera along when it happens. This time I was to late in the day and looking right into the sun. I waited until the sun set behind and shot what I could get.
Thanks.

Gordon Hoffman

Bradley L Marlow January 30th, 2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman

Bradley
Yes I live on the east side of the Rockies.

"I noticed 2 shots that had airplane chem-trails (not contrails) in them. Were you making any sort of comment there? Am curious?"
Not really. I was running out of shots to use.:-)

I've been wanting to get the shot of the clouds pouring over the divide for a long time. Seems like I never have a camera along when it happens. This time I was to late in the day and looking right into the sun. I waited until the sun set behind and shot what I could get.
Thanks.

Gordon Hoffman

Thanks Gordon. I live along the Rockies too. More specifically, along the Eastern side of the Wind River Mountain Range. I thought those mountains had a familiar feel. :)

Running out of shots...lol...I think we all know that feeling.

I really liked your shot of the clouds pouring over the divide. Great job on capturing that. It was quite beautiful.

Best wishes~
Bradley