DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#1 Wind Country by Gordon Hoffman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/84667-uwol-1-wind-country-gordon-hoffman.html)

Gordon Hoffman January 23rd, 2007 10:54 PM

UWOL#1 Wind Country by Gordon Hoffman

I really want to thank everyone involved in getting this going. It was fun. I'm kind of looking forward to the next one. I had to go find a high speed internet to download the entries. Man I hate dial up!
Here's my entry. Any advice or criticism welcome.
http://www.uwolchallenge.com/challen...indcountry.mov
Thanks all.

Gordon Hoffman

Bruce Foreman January 23rd, 2007 11:58 PM

I really like what looks like time lapse in your entry. The imagery is great, I can almost feel the cold, and the look of both clouds rolling and snow curling off the mountain tops is fun to watch.

Very well done.

Bruce Foreman

P.S. Looks like I'm not the only one with 300' windmills in an entry.

Per Johan Naesje January 24th, 2007 02:55 AM

Gordon, wow you got some stunning landscape out there. Your opening scene was very nice done. I could feel the cold when the wind was blowing through the snow covered mountains.

It seem that something happend to the aspect ratio? Especially in the opening scene you can see that the moon is squized a little and you got the black border on both sides. What kind of software did you use for editing and compression?

Gordon Hoffman January 24th, 2007 08:10 AM

Bruce a lot of the shots are just sped up. This area is known for its' wind but this winter has been exceptionally windy with strong winds day after day. It makes you appreaciate a day with no wind unless you own a wind farm. I haven't even bothered to take out my old XL1 with the long lense. It is beautiful country.
Thanks.
Gordon Hoffman

Geir Inge January 24th, 2007 08:28 AM

Hi Gordon.
I loved the scenes in you video, together with the relaxing music.
It was all very peaceful and good for my soul.
Nice colors and beautiful muntains with the snow blowing off.
I live in a winterland too, you know, and finally we got some snow, after months with rain and windy weather. Usually we get snow in october/november, but this winter it came just a couple of days ago.
Rather "spooky" environment these days, if you ask me.
Your video made me wish I could come over and go some cross skiing in that wonderful landscape of yours :)

Trond Saetre January 24th, 2007 08:45 AM

The scenery is really nice.
I felt the cold wind all the way to Norway, haha.
Your video makes me want to go there someday.
Well done!

Gordon Hoffman January 24th, 2007 08:46 AM

Per. This area has alot to offer a person with a camera if you can put up with the wind.
Yes there is something wrong with the aspect ratio. If you look at the clip info it says 428x240 but in bracket 357x240?? I tried it in mpeg4. The ratio was right with the moon being round but my file size was way over 50 MB and I though the quality was worse then what I had with Sorenson Video 3. I shot this on a Sony HC3 handy cam in 1080i HDV down converted in camera to 16x9 DV. Edited on Adobe Premiere Pro 1.0 and use Sorenson Video 3 that was there so not alot of options. I'm new to this compressing for the web so any suggestions whats going on?
Thanks.
Gordon Hoffman

Gordon Hoffman January 24th, 2007 09:06 AM

Geir this year we are a little above average for snow in the mountains but it has been fairly mild. Have been down near minus 30 C this winter but right now it's plus 7 C just before 8 am. Man am I a slow typer. The Chinook Winds as they are called ar well known for raising the temperature. This area has a lot of winter recreation in down hill and cross country skiing and snowmobiling.
We have had some years like you are having to.
Thanks.
Gordon Hoffman

Gordon Hoffman January 24th, 2007 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=Trond Saetre]
I felt the cold wind all the way to Norway, haha.
QUOTE]
Trond. The way the wind has blown this year I can believe it. :-)
Thanks.
Gordon Hoffman

Trond Saetre January 24th, 2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman
Trond. The way the wind has blown this year I can believe it. :-)
Thanks.
Gordon Hoffman

One good thing came out of the strong wind you have.
You got an awesome video. I really like it.

We have also had some strong wind here lately, and with it came tons of rain.
Think we set a new record with around 90 days in a row with rain.
Not the best combination when using a video camera.

Trond

Ruth Happel January 24th, 2007 10:26 AM

I really liked the video sequences. And the wind in the background made you feel you were there. Did you create the time lapse effects in camera, or in the editing? I really enjoyed the video.

Ruth

Brian McKay January 24th, 2007 10:56 AM

Hello Gordon:

For some reason I had a %^*& of a time downloading your video, man I'm glad I stayed with it, wonderful work the wind audio truly worked putting the viewer in the scene. Ain't Canada Puuurdy....AH

Brian

Gabriel Yeager January 24th, 2007 01:02 PM

Beautiful footage Gordon! I love the way you put this video together. Very nice job in post!

One of the things that I really appreciated in this film, was that you made the music blend seamlessly with the video! It really helped with the mood.

Great job, keep up the good work, and hope to see more from you soon!

I'm rooting for you!
~Gabriel

Per Johan Naesje January 24th, 2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Hoffman
Yes there is something wrong with the aspect ratio. If you look at the clip info it says 428x240 but in bracket 357x240?? I tried it in mpeg4. The ratio was right with the moon being round but my file size was way over 50 MB and I though the quality was worse then what I had with Sorenson Video 3. I shot this on a Sony HC3 handy cam in 1080i HDV down converted in camera to 16x9 DV. Edited on Adobe Premiere Pro 1.0 and use Sorenson Video 3 that was there so not alot of options. I'm new to this compressing for the web so any suggestions whats going on?
Thanks.
Gordon Hoffman

I'm not familiar with Adobe Premiere, so I don't have any solution to you right now.
I will suggest that you go back and look into Premiere once more. If you have a choice of Sorenson 3, use that, try to reduce the bitrate, instead of adjusting the aspect ratio. Reducing bitrate will reduce your filesize.

I will check with some who have Premiere and try to find a solution for you. Hopefully we have solved this before the next challenge!

Best;

Gordon Hoffman January 25th, 2007 08:42 AM

Ruth all the effects where done in post. I just lock the camera down on a tripod and let it roll. The opening shot of the moon setting ran for almost 20 minutes in real time.

Gordon Hoffman